Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 months left in Alaska

Default 4 months left in Alaska

I've been in this beautiful state for over 4 years now and have hunted black bear almost every other weekend and still no luck. Ive ran into plenty of brown bears while hunting and a lot of blacks, but not when hunting.. I was deployed to Afghanistan last year so missed out on all the spring black bear hunts, is there anyone out there willing to help a guy get his first black bear?? I have a .45/70 and a 10mm that I will bring! Thanks in advance, names Zak. O and I move to lower 48 in 4 months

It would help to know where in Alaska your at.

Ok i'm in eagle river/anchorage!

Quote Originally Posted by GottaLoveAlaskaOutdoors View Post
    I've been in this beautiful state for over 4 years now and have hunted black bear almost every other weekend and still no luck. Ive ran into plenty of brown bears while hunting and a lot of blacks, but not when hunting.. I was deployed to Afghanistan last year so missed out on all the spring black bear hunts, is there anyone out there willing to help a guy get his first black bear?? I have a .45/70 and a 10mm that I will bring! Thanks in advance, names Zak. O and I move to lower 48 in 4 months
    After this dude ships out to a far away land to defend our freedom to hunt bears, and every other freedom we enjoy, I would hope offers start jumpimg off this page. Zak, if you ever wanna chase real blackies in PA(up to 800lb class), hit me up. I thank you for your service.
    Stay safe.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by pa 5-0 View Post
    After this dude ships out to a far away land to defend our freedom to hunt bears, and every other freedom we enjoy, I would hope offers start jumpimg off this page. Zak, if you ever wanna chase real blackies in PA(up to 800lb class), hit me up. I thank you for your service.
    Stay safe.
    Dan
    HEY....our blackies are real....!!! Yours are the ones that ain't real.....they're some kinda mutant...!!!....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks Dan, I'll be visiting Mass. sometime in the future so I'll definelty drive to Pa and meet up with you as long as you still have this account! Don't be suprised if you get a message through here in about 5 years hahaha thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    HEY....our blackies are real....!!! Yours are the ones that ain't real.....they're some kinda mutant...!!!....lol
    Yep. 800lb mutants !!!!!! I got a couple trail cam pics that look like volkswagons with legs.

I have been here for almost three years, minus a year for a deployment and an extended TDY. Since I have been here I have asked people from everywhere in this state that I have been to if there was any way they would assist me in getting a black bear with no luck. I have less than two months left in this beautiful State and I will keep going out with or without assistance.

Ok fellows I would love to help all of you and i try to help newbies when time away from my business permits bit I am going to try to offer some advice.. For those that live in the anchorage area it's simple just head south. Do a little scouting for some areas with fresh grasses on the hillsides that have some cover like alder for the bears to nap and hide in then find a vantage point and simply sit there a spot and spot and spot. Don't be doing any unnecessary walking around cause all you are going to accomplish is stinking up the area and that guarantees only one thing... Putti g every bear in the area on alert that you are there then you are just pissing in the wind.. You will know if you are doing it right because you will be bored to death but if you are in a food rich area which this time of year is south facing slopes and you see recent activity such as tracks scat or what not you will find a bear. When I guide bear hunts my goal it to be able to see for miles in each direction. On a good day of spring bear the binos are on the eyes not around the neck for a minimum of 12 plus hours a day. They have to eat and to eat they have to move, sometimes in the open and sometimes not. That is what you are waiting for is that glimpse of movement then you can make a move from there. Trust me you will be able to see a bear moveing from a long distance. Bear hunting is all about patience.. There are of course successful hunts from doing the road hunts and hiking hunts but to get bear consistently you need to be patient. Go pick a lake and sit in the middle of it and spot.. I have spent a considerable amount of time south of anchorage and have probably seen black bear on most every hill at one time or another. They are out there black bear as I was told from a friend are in numbers only second to caribou in the state. I hope everyone shoots one, folks worry about wolves and brown bear killing calves but black bear are as equal and in many cases harder on calves but IMHO get overlooked.. Get out there and get it done!

Four months...so, you leave in October? If so, let's sit down over a beer or a cup of coffee. If you've got a couple of weekends to devote to it in September, I'm pretty sure I can point you towards some locations where you should see some bears. No promises on a harvest and I probably won't be able to accompany you, but I can get you pointed in the right direction for finding some. That said, these bears will be in goat country - or above the goats. If you're willing to climb mountains and want to talk, let me know.

If any of you are taking the ferry out stop in Wrangell for a couple of days and catch the next ferry south from Wrangell. I'll do all I can to get you a legal bear or deer.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I tried to give the guys above some reps but have to spread it around. All good advice.

I'm more than willing to climb to get one, and yeah Im leaving in october to head to lower 48 unfortunately. I'm down to sit down and do some researching with you just let me know when's good for you!

If you are still looking and need help let me know. I just got my first one this weekend and saw a lot of them out and about.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaLoveAlaskaOutdoors View Post
    Ok i'm in eagle river/anchorage!
    Tried sending PM but you don't have enough posts. Send me a message when you can.

Yea hit me up id be interested in hearing the whereabouts you were!! Thanks bro

I couldnt write you in a message either so I emailed you!

Head down Snug Harbor Rd at the end of Kenai Lake. Get back in and glass the upper hillsides. If you have a small boat and can float Cooper Lake you will get more hillsides to glass. It is all up hill from there. Also above Trail Lakes on the Seward Highway and up the Crown Point trail south of the lake, that is a 4 whlr trail. the next tail south of there is good also, not a motorized trail above treeline. It goes up about 3000" in a couple of mile so just getting up the trail is a climb. Lot's of black bears on the peninsula.

Email sent to OP.

Has anyone been seeing them up on the berries yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast