Thread: Kenai Landing has no boat launch

Default Kenai Landing has no boat launch

Just found out that the Kenai landing will have no boat launch this year anyone else hear the same thing. I may have to find a new place to camp/launch boat.

Are you referring to the lake outlet? Launched there last Saturday at the temporary launch.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

sorry for the confusion I was talking about the boat launch at the mouth of the Kenai off Cannery road at Kenai landing hotel

Roger. Sorry about that.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

The term "boat launch" took on a whole new meaning there, and was a bit generous, in my opinion. Maybe they are going to improve it to make it a bit safer.

Got a call from the manager of Kenai Landing Resort, about important changes to my reservation there for the dipnet season. Not only are the cool 3-bedroom fisherman's cottages taken over by the cannery/commercial fishing operation there, those guys have also closed the boat launch for good. Last year you may recall that the commercial cannery guys (don't know the exact company name) who own the launch decided to keep it running, closing 2 hrs +- low tide, and charging $20 each launch. This year however, they've decided to close the launch all together. Don't know why, but the guy told me he assumed it certainly wasn't about the money or hassle of running the ramp, but it was to limit the traffic over there near the commercial operation. This is a huge blow to dipnetters trying to access the river. City Dock is going to be so packed... get there early..

Really not that much of a loss if your boat is legal to launch upriver. That is one hazardous ramp, not to mention the live extension cord running through mud puddles to the cash shack.

How far is Eagle Rock or Pillars Launch from motorized dipnet area?

look at the map it tells alll

We launched at Eagle Rock the last two years. While Gr8fl drove the boat down river I took the gear to Kenai Landing and met him at the dock. Used the Landing as HQ until we were done, then back upriver. Worked out well and no wait to launch.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    How far is Eagle Rock or Pillars Launch from motorized dipnet area?
    Very nice twenty minute ride. Beautiful, except in the dark on your first time doing it.

Thanks gr8fl, I searched Internet for maps but nothing showed Eagle Rock

Default Two choices near Soldotna

The Pillars is a state boat launch; first class.

Eagle Rock is a private boat launch.

Default Here's a clickable map...

Used Google Maps Engine Lite to create a more useful map:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...I.kZls3LIvP3mU

Lots of parking at both places, never had to wait much, and they are great excuses for a boat ride.

best boat launch I ever did.....drug FM's freighter canoe over the guard rail at the bridge, and parked up on the road. 3 hrs later, we limited out. Ran down near the "big boats" near the mouth once we had enough salmon ballast to stabilize his freighter canoe. Drove back, all for the price of the gas to drive down there.

I've launched at the kenai landing, but that was insane....people's boats falling off trailers, peoples motors falling of transoms, hulls and motors smacking against the crude concrete traction pillars. That place was all jacked up. Good riddance. Every time somebody destroyed something......everyone had to sit in their truck, waiting in line for what seemed like eternity.

Can't blame it all on the launch though, there there were certainly a multitude of idiots who caused destruction to their own boats. Like: not submerging your trailer deep enough, and relying on the ratchet to PULL a 3000 lb. boat the rest of the way. Pretty sure that idiot destroyed a lower unit, and severely damaged the bottom of his stern.......all while making everyone wait to watch his stupidity.

I've watched more than a few boats that dipnet a bunch of fish and then get to go 8mph all the way back to the pillars because they can't get on step, so be careful of that!

During years with decent king fishing the lines at pillars and eagle rock can be long with full parking lots as well, the last few years it hasn't been too bad since no one was king fishing.

Kenai landing had trouble with the tidal mud. An employee there told me they dropped 6 concrete blocks in the one spot and lost them all. They were hoping to stack them up but they couldn't find the bottom of the mud. So it certainly isn't easy to build and maintain a ramp there.
    A bunch of inept dippers focused more on the fish than their own safety doesn't help either.
    I launch from Eagle rock or the pilliars as well.
    Eagle rock is nice as it is in a back eddy so launching and retrieving is fairly easy. The pilliars has some swift current so be prepared for that.
    Also be aware that though the pilliars is a state parks facility annual State Parks boat launch passes are not valid there you must pay the full fee each time you launch. Some goofy state law about competing with local businesses.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I also heard that they will be closing parts of the lower Kenai to motorized boats in the month of July can anyone confirm this before I post in ask a trooper.

Quote Originally Posted by 808hunta View Post
    I also heard that they will be closing parts of the lower Kenai to motorized boats in the month of July can anyone confirm this before I post in ask a trooper.
    Haven't heard a thing, I think something like that would be all over the news, etc...

There has been a group trying to get the whole river to be drift only for years. They could never make the dip net area non-motorized, where would the drift fleet go?

I'm not saying there shutting the whole river down I heard parts of it would be shut down to motorized boats. So if you have a boat and will be launching up river you may want to look in to that to see if you are good to go. I'm fishing from the beach this year so not affecting me just putting it out there.im not even positive it sound preposterous but it was told to me so I want people to find out about it like I said I'm on the beach this year so i'm good are you.