Thread: Uganik Island cabin

Default Uganik Island cabin

Thinking about doing some deer hunting out of this cabin this fall, late. From the only video that I can find the vegetation in the area looks pretty wicked. Anyone done a deer hunt from here? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks.

It is EXTREMELY thick around there and gets hunted pretty regularly. Been in that area bear hunting a couple times and at that time the deer are pretty high up
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

from the video and google earth that's what I was worried about. We will have a zodiac with us. Could we get to decent places with it from the cabin?

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
    from the video and google earth that's what I was worried about. We will have a zodiac with us. Could we get to decent places with it from the cabin?
    Now you're talking. Most folks who use the cabins hunt hard in the vicinity. Hunting gets pretty skinny until you get beyond the normal range of walking hunters. Watch the wind there though. If it roughs up, you aren't going anywhere. Also beware of bears and beached zodiaks. Add a little deer blood and you have Sitka flavored marshmallows. We set up a running line or anchor off, depending on the individual beach and tides. Beats heck out of deflating the zodiak and putting it away each night.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
    Yes, I meant to add that in my first post. A Zodiac will help tremendously. That is if the wind ever calms down enough to use it...
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I have hunted out of that cabin about 15 years for a week or more, usually in late Oct or early Nov. The deer hunting there was always excellent, either up the mountain behind the cabin or to the east of the cabin in the "lowlands". A zodiac opens up lots of areas to hunt but it can get up in trouble with weather and as someone said bears. We used to go to the east end of the island, across Uganik Passage and also toward the west end of the island and always did very well. I don't know what current deer populations are but about 2-3 years ago they were hit very hard by winter.

I loved hunting that area but I stopped going because of bear problems. Uganik has extremely high bear densities. Google "deer hunter killed by bear on Uganik Island" and see if anything comes up. That was my buddy and I was there. Two years later I killed a charging bear at 12 feet in almost the same spot and another friend killed one on the other side of the island at about the same time.

Hunted there like 10 yrs ago in Sept. Lots of does down low, had to climb high for bucks. Wished we had a Zodiak. No problems with bears, but lots of very fresh sign. It does get hunted hard, which doesn't matter when the population is up, check with the bios and see how things are. We shot deer every day and never did make it to the top of that hill. Bring shotguns the ponds are full of ducks and the ocean has a lot of sea ducks.