Thread: "meat" raft

Default "meat" raft

We line canoes upstream to get to good hunting grounds. Last year, we killed a moose and made a homemade raft to float the meat back down.
    DSCN2851.jpg

The raft worked great but was heavy to haul in and a fair amount of work to build.

Has anyone used packraft to haul out meat?
    Does anyone have a better suggestion to get the meat back down stream? The canoes are too loaded for haul gear and meat.

Check out the "All around packraft" thread....same discussion.

I know this sound silly and is an expensive option but nothing allows meet hualing and air Cirulation that a Cataraft and cargo deck IMO. You might be able to find a used 12-13ft Cat create a break down from about 6ft long so no piece wider than 4ft and longer than 3ft in length. 13ft Cat depending on the type could haul about 900 lbs. If you find a used one might be able to get into the entire gig for about 1.3-1.5K. It would should weight about 150 lbs total worse case. Just food for thought. You could also do the same thing with a couple of Super Lynx which would hold about 1.2 thousand lbs. weight about 125 lbs. So performance options are out there the question is what are you willing to spend and or haul in to your hunt.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    I know this sound silly and is an expensive option but nothing allows meet hualing and air Cirulation that a Cataraft and cargo deck IMO. ... So performance options are out there the question is what are you willing to spend and or haul in to your hunt....
    Blue,

That is really the point. It just takes one day to float out.
    The inner tube raft works and costs maybe $100-$200 depending on where we find parts.

The inner tube raft also weighs about 100 lbs and requires a good day's work to inflate all 4 truck tires and build the raft.

I'm looking for a simpler, lighter, easier option.
    But I am not sure that I am willing to spend much more than $200 for a one day float.

Quote Originally Posted by elksnout View Post
    Check out the "All around packraft" thread....same discussion.
    The PR-49 sure looks sweet. It looks like the almost perfect solution (simpler; lighter, ~15 lbs; easier, inflates in 5 minutes).

But $1500 is big chunk of change to pay for a 1 day float (I'd have the raft for 2 weeks but would only need it on the "float out" day).

I would redesign the raft to make it lighter and easier to put together instead of spending $1000+.
    Can you use or 3/16 plywood reinforced with 1x1 or 2x2 it would not take a lot of material.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I would redesign the raft to make it lighter and easier to put together instead of spending $1000+.
    Can you use or 3/16 plywood reinforced with 1x1 or 2x2 it would not take a lot of material.
    Ya, McGyver it!

If you have access to enough timber then skip the plywood altogether. Drop a tarp on some spruce limbs and you have a decent platform. The only weight you're hauling in is the tubes, tarp, and a bit more 550 cord.

Edit to add: cheap to buy, light to haul in, and quick to set up. Pick any two.

For the money you're talking, I agree with Chugiak. Make a simple frame out of spruce or willow on-site. The tarp could work, but you could also go with a cargo net used for strapping down loads while rafting. It's much stronger, provides multiple tiedown points that won't pull out like grommets can, and it provides excellent ventilation for the meat. If splashing is an issue, you can of course run a tarp under it. But if you built your frame with a couple of cross-pieces and put the tarp under it and the net over it, you could have good ventilation still. Lace it all together with 550 cord and you're set! Another option could be to lace 550 cord back and forth both directions to make your own net, but you better have a lot of cord and a lot of time on your hands...

The net is less than $60.

I don't think you're going to find a boat for $200, not even a sevylor pool toy.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay