Thread: My buddies spring bear!!!!

Default My buddies spring bear!!!!

My buddy finally connected on his long overdue first bear. My old hunting buddy Jake came back up on his mid-tour (currently stationed in Honduras). We glassed our way down the seward with out seeing much yesterday. On the last pull off we hunt, we finally saw a bear way up high and on the move. We decided to take a gamble and headed back up the highway to an established trail to climb and hopefully head it off. After a long steep climb we finally get close to tree line and start glassing, shortly after that we spot a nice looking solo bear feeding in a grass patch real low on the mountain. We looked at each other and said let's go! We made the best time we could make while dealing with alders and a swirling wind and before long we felt that we were within 300 yards of where we thought the bear should be....but there was no bear in sight. After some deliberation we decided to climb up a birch tree to get above the alders to get a good look....still no bear. I look down at my buddy and asked him to grab the predator call in my pack(last ditch effort, and the only time I have ever remembered to throw it in my pack). Not thinking that it would actually work, we both left our rifles 20 feet under us leaning up against the tree. I blew on that call till I ran out of breath....with in seconds we heard the alders around us breaking and I caught some glimpses of black fur coming towards us. That bear came in hard! There was no time to grab the rifles! My buddy couldn't see what was happening yet as he was lower in the tree then I was. I whispered "Jake 10mm...BEAR!" And drew my 44. It was as if that bear was on a leash getting pulled to the tree we were in. At about 7 yards away, Jake let the bear have it with his Glock 20. The bear tucked his foreleg up and rolled. The woods came alive with gunshots, growls, and us yelling. I hit him again with my 44, and Jake hit him once more with the 10mm after the bear got his feet under him. After a 30 yard run we watched the bear collapse dead under an alder bush. What an unbelievable way for him to finally score after 3 years of coming home empty handed. This was by far the coolest thing I have ever seen in the woods. I could go the rest of my life without seeing something like that and still be grateful I got to see it once. I never, ever would have expected a bear to come charging to a call like that. Some people will probably say that a glock 20 is not meant for bear hunting, but we do not take irresponsible shots. We would not have shot if the conditions weren't perfect.

Wow! That's a pretty crazy story there, sir. Congratulations to your friend and good on you for working hard to help him find success.

(Note to self: Don't ever blow on a predator call without rifle in hand. )

Note taken! We learned a couple of valuable lessons on yesterday's trip.

Yes..outstanding job to you and your friend. I have called a few in myself and when they want to come more often than not it is straight in on a string...to kill and eat!
    Great shooting and I know it was tense!

Congrats
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Fantastic story, I keep a pair of calls on me while bear hunting but I haven't had the guts to blow on one yet, getting in the tree was a great idea, i'll have to keep that in mind!

congrats man,..that would of been crazy! nice shooting!

Pretty cool way to get 'er done!
    Congrats to both of you, nice bear!!
    BK

Thats some fine pistol work sir!
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

what kind of call ?

Thanks everybody! The call is the "Caines bear cub brawler"

Congrats, sounds like that experience sure got your heart rates up for a minute or two.

Quote Originally Posted by pa_pride View Post
    ...... Some people will probably say that a glock 20 is not meant for bear hunting......
    I know a guy who killed a 7'3" blackie with a 10mm..........in the den.

I also always try to have a mouth blown fawn bleat call on my possession. Good to see that it paid off for you!

My buddy finally connected on his long overdue first bear. My old hunting buddy Jake came back up on his mid-tour (currently stationed in Honduras). We glassed our way down the seward with out seeing much yesterday. On the last pull off we hunt, we finally saw a bear way up high and on the move. We decided to take a gamble and headed back up the highway to an established trail to climb and hopefully head it off. After a long steep climb we finally get close to tree line and start glassing, shortly after that we spot a nice looking solo bear feeding in a grass patch real low on the mountain. We looked at each other and said let's go! We made the best time we could make while dealing with alders and a swirling wind and before long we felt that we were within 300 yards of where we thought the bear should be....but there was no bear in sight. After some deliberation we decided to climb up a birch tree to get above the alders to get a good look....still no bear. I look down at my buddy and asked him to grab the predator call in my pack(last ditch effort, and the only time I have ever remembered to throw it in my pack). Not thinking that it would actually work, we both left our rifles 20 feet under us leaning up against the tree. I blew on that call till I ran out of breath....with in seconds we heard the alders around us breaking and I caught some glimpses of black fur coming towards us. That bear came in hard! There was no time to grab the rifles! My buddy couldn't see what was happening yet as he was lower in the tree then I was. I whispered "Jake 10mm...BEAR!" And drew my 44. It was as if that bear was on a leash getting pulled to the tree we were in. At about 7 yards away, Jake let the bear have it with his Glock 20. The bear tucked his foreleg up and rolled. The woods came alive with gunshots, growls, and us yelling. I hit him again with my 44, and Jake hit him once more with the 10mm after the bear got his feet under him. After a 30 yard run we watched the bear collapse dead under an alder bush. What an unbelievable way for him to finally score after 3 years of coming home empty handed. This was by far the coolest thing I have ever seen in the woods. I could go the rest of my life without seeing something like that and still be grateful I got to see it once. I never, ever would have expected a bear to come charging to a call like that. Some people will probably say that a glock 20 is not meant for bear hunting, but we do not take irresponsible shots. We would not have shot if the conditions weren't perfect.

VERY cool....!!!

Do you think it was the same bear you were after?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

No 4merguide, the planets aligned and we stumbled across a different good looking bear.

Wow, quite the story! Good thing you had the pistolees handy and know how to shoot them - good going.

No 4merguide, the planets aligned and we stumbled across a different good looking bear.
    Every once in awhile a guy gets lucky...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Very cool that you got him with the Glock 20!

Nice work. A 10mm Glock is a fine bear hunting rig. I've used that as well as a 357 numerous times. Good shots don't need a 500 S&W. Congrats.

Well done. Nothing wrong at all with a 10 plus a 44 for a back up. But - like noted "note to self" do your best to keep rifle in hand... but really - congrats on your first bear. I had a close encounter with a brown bear and all I had was my loud mouth and my pocket knife.
    Last edited by tzieli22; 06-05-2013 at 23:43. Reason: Typo
    Tony

Thanks everyone. It was definitely a very exciting couple of minutes.