Thread: Tried "dieseling" my airgun with shocking results.

Default Tried "dieseling" my airgun with shocking results.

For those of you who know what dieseling an airgun means, I know it's hard on the gun, and I won't make it a habit, but I was curious, and decided to try it.

So I broke out the chronograph and went to work. First - an explanation. "Dieseling" in this case means adding a fluid to the pellet that detonates, in a similar way that diesel fuel does when enough compression is applied. WD 40 acts much like diesel in this way.

My weapon of choice is my Crossman Quest spring air rifle - advertised to produce 1000 fps with PBA raptor ammo. I was using heavier Gamo Red Fire pellets though - 7.8 grains. I ran several of them through the gun to get an average velocity dry first, and they were running about 840 fps.

I then filled the skirt of one with WD 40, and fired that one over the chrony - and was amazed to hear a super - sonic crack like a .22. The chrony registered 1472 fps!

Have any of you tried this before?

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I have never even heard of it, but it sounds like a handy technique to know.

I actually use WD-40 as starting fliud for diesels rather than ether. I can see how it could provide a turbo boost for an airgun pellet.
    Now what ?

How cool is that!
    Wonder if the faster flight causes the pellet to tumble?
    BK

I'm not sure if it would cause tumbling or not - I know there are several airguns on the market now that are capable of producing that kind of velocity without dieseling, so it's safe to assume modern pellets are designed to handle it. I suspect those guns may have a different twist rate though....

If anyone else intends to try this - be aware it doesn't work every time. There seems to be a fine line for exactly how much WD 40 will work.

If you hear the supersonic crack, you know you've at least surpassed the sound barrier, which is 1129 fps.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default Turns out there's no replacement for displacement...

I decided to try an experiment to see if I could achieve any better penetration with dieseling in my air gun. I fired a few pellets dry at my 55 gallon steel burn barrel, and had some small dents. I then tried a few more in a different spot on the barrel with the super - sonic dieseling pellets. Although the dents were slightly deeper, I still had no penetration.

So I dragged out my Marlin .22 rifle and fired one 29 grain .22 short round. This round is only 710 fps. This one also did not penetrate, but made a much bigger dent in the barrel than the pellets.

The last shot was a CCI .22 LR stinger. 32 grains at 1640 fps. It made two holes on both sides of the barrel. My burn barrel has a bit more ventilation now.

Obviously, this isn't a good representation of the penetration potential for an airgun on small game. I don't know of any small animals with steel exoskeletons. The increased velocity might just give an airgun the edge needed to move up to the next larger size animal, especially considering I noticed all of my pellets impacted at the same point of aim at about 30 yards, whether dry or dieseling. I don't think there is any tumbling going on.

I got some cheap pellets years ago and they had some cheap oil on them and I couldn't use them because they would diesel.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Just when you think you have heard the same things over and over, comes something completely new (at least to me)..."dieseling" a pellet rifle.

This sounds really interesting to me. How exactly do you do this with WD40? I'm picturing filling the air-cup of the pellet with WD40 and chambering the pellet without spilling...is that it?

Doc

BTW...regarding the comment about the pellet tumbling, I'd suggest that you shoot the pellet into paper and see if the impact hole resembles a bullet with a key-hole pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    For those of you who know what dieseling an airgun means, I know it's hard on the gun, and I won't make it a habit, but I was curious, and decided to try it.
    Why is it hard on the gun?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Why is it hard on the gun?
    The blowback into the piston area will eventually eat away the seal.

Yes, I have a very nice RWS pellet rifle, ( 1,100 fps without dieseling) that I had to have re-built because I tried using a little zippo lighter fluid in the pellet bases.
    It blows out the seals....
    And with my rifle, it often blew the pellet's nose off or open because I once ended up with a lead sleeve stuck in the barrel.

The best way to improve the power of a pellet rifle is to get a big bore pellet rifle so the heavier projectile (mass) can make up for the lack of velocity.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

You've got it right Doc. Just a small amount will do - no need to fill the entire skirt of the pellet. I load the pellet first, then put a small drop in the skirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Yes, I have a very nice RWS pellet rifle, ( 1,100 fps without dieseling) that I had to have re-built because I tried using a little zippo lighter fluid in the pellet bases.
    It blows out the seals....
    And with my rifle, it often blew the pellet's nose off or open because I once ended up with a lead sleeve stuck in the barrel.

The best way to improve the power of a pellet rifle is to get a big bore pellet rifle so the heavier projectile (mass) can make up for the lack of velocity.
    Exactly right. My Crossman Quest is old and worn, so if I destroy it I won't be too upset. It will just give me an excuse to follow the advice you made bold. There's a nice .22 cal rifle in Sportsman's where I work with my name on it. It claims 900 FPS with lead pellets.

I have been craving one that will shoot 9mm or 45 caliber cast lead slugs.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

A few years back there were some 410,20 ga, and 12ga air shotguns imported they were fun to shoot. They are hard to find in shootable condition now though.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Look up these on the internet. "PCP or pre-charged pneumatic pellet rifles powered by compressed air are the closest to gun powder rifles that you can buy" They come in many cal's and are expensive, but they beat the hell out of a $100 spring gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Look up these on the internet. "PCP or pre-charged pneumatic pellet rifles powered by compressed air are the closest to gun powder rifles that you can buy" They come in many cal's and are expensive, but they beat the hell out of a $100 spring gun.
    Yeah, I've read all about those. I'm sure they are popular in countries where firearms are illegal, but if it costs as much as a real gun, I'd rather just buy a real gun. There are also air rifles chambered in .357, .45, and .50 cal which are capable of taking big game. But now you're talking some real money.

This guy's channel is awesome. He does pest control, instructional videos, airgun competition and reviews. He has a set-up with a 1080p HD camera watching through his scope and it's pretty awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBg_NroPXSo
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6