Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does this count as hoarding?

Default Does this count as hoarding?

Just thought I'd share this pic of my rimfire ammo collection. It's about 80% .22 lr, and the rest is .17 HMR. The 50 cal. ammo case is about 70% full, and weighs 20 lbs. I'm guessing I have about 2500 rounds of 22 and 400 rounds of .17 HMR. Am I hoarding?

uploadfromtaptalk1370401354962.jpgSent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    ......I'm guessing I have about 2500 rounds of 22 and 400 rounds of .17 HMR. Am I hoarding?
    It depends on your plans for the ammo. A hoard is defined as "a supply or accumulation that is hidden or carefully guarded for preservation, future use, etc.":

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hoard

So if you plan to sell the ammo for profit, you're a scalper. If you plan to accumulate it, hide it, or carefully guard it for preservation, future use, etc, you're a hoarder. If you plan to give it to the less fortunate, you're an altruist. If you plan to do all of the above, you're a scalper, hoarder, and altruist.

I suppose you might be something else, as well, but what that might be is beyond me. Moreover, you can scalp, hoard, or donate all the ammo you wish, and I'll just wish you the best in your endeavors.

Just thought I'd share this pic of my rimfire ammo collection. It's about 80% .22 lr, and the rest is .17 HMR. The 50 cal. ammo case is about 70% full, and weighs 20 lbs. I'm guessing I have about 2500 rounds of 22 and 400 rounds of .17 HMR. Am I hoarding?

No, not even close...

Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    It depends on your plans for the ammo. A hoard is defined as "a supply or accumulation that is hidden or carefully guarded for preservation, future use, etc.":

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hoard

So if you plan to sell the ammo for profit, you're a scalper. If you plan to accumulate it, hide it, or carefully guard it for preservation, future use, etc, you're a hoarder. If you plan to give it to the less fortunate, you're an altruist. If you plan to do all of the above, you're a scalper, hoarder, and altruist.

I suppose you might be something else, as well, but what that might be is beyond me. Moreover, you can scalp, hoard, or donate all the ammo you wish, and I'll just wish you the best in your endeavors.
    Considering I gave over 700 rounds of .22 ammo up for a kids camp on the Yukon River last week, I guess for now I'm an altruist by your definition. I just wanted to replace what I gave so my kids have plinking ammo for their rifles, so I bought a brick yesterday, and some CCI Velocitors last week for small game hunting.

I like to have enough for target practice, and save the good stuff for hunting.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

The next sound you hear will be Eric Holder & company knocking on your door...

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    The next sound you hear will be Eric Holder & company knocking on your door...
    He won't like the sound from my dog before he even gets to the door....

You are just well stocked for now! I applaud your donation- I just donated a brick to a gentleman who is helping his kids learn to shoot and was having a hard time finding ammo. What goes around comes around...(usually).

You've been around here for awhile AKsoldier, you know what some people will say...

Some would say that people like you are the reason for the ammunition shortage.
    Some would say that you have much more ammunition than you personally need, thus taking needed ammunition resources from others.
    Some would say that your recent ammunition purchases with higher price tags will add to the continuation of the higher prices we now see.
    Some would say that you need to take-off your tin-foil hat because the zombies are not coming.

I sincerely say congratulations and good for you, sir...you are proud that you are well-stocked for your personal needs...which we still get to do in our country (for now). Have fun with your kids.

I'll call it hoarding unless you trade me something for a bit of that velocitor ammo.....best 22 lr killer ever made. Expands into a "mini controlled expansion mushroom" on lyx/coyotes within 100 yds.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I'll call it hoarding unless you trade me something for a bit of that velocitor ammo.....best 22 lr killer ever made. Expands into a "mini controlled expansion mushroom" on lyx/coyotes within 100 yds.
    I'll do better than that - get in to Sportsman's in Wasilla on Monday mornings - We've gotten some Velocitor in both of the last two weeks. That's where I got mine. We also got .17 HMR ammo in this week. First time I've seen that in almost two months. I picked some of that up for my wife's Henry golden boy.

I agree about Velocitors, by the way. They make a .22 LR perform like a .22 mag.

According to the definition, I am a hoarder. I have just under 2000 rounds of Remington Viper 22lr rounds, and just under 1000 rounds of CCI Stingers, which I consider much less than desirable for meat hunting. Way too much meat damage They're perfect for jackrabbit killing, which I obviously don't do here, and I've had them since I was a college student decades ago in the Lower 48. This ammo is older than my adult children. In today's prices, it was essentially free when purchased.

I am not an altruist. I have absolutely no intention to give this ammo to anyone, and I am not a scalper, because I have absolutely no intention of selling it at any price.

I am "hoarding" it for potential future use or an inheritance gift to my children or children's children, along with the firearms that can fire that ammo.

Honestly, 500 rounds used to be a fun weekend of plinking and target practice with the family. That doesn't even count hunting uses. So 3000 rounds is just six weekends worth. That's not hoarding. I'd say you are running dangerously low.

Quote Originally Posted by bullspit View Post
    Honestly...That's not hoarding. I'd say you are running dangerously low.
    That is great...well said, sir. (rep sent)

I bought 16 cases (10 bricks per case) of 22 LR ammo about 7 years ago when it was about $8 a brick. Down to 12 cases currently. I don't consider myself a hoarder. I just hate running around looking for something I need so I stock up when the times are good.

Quote Originally Posted by bullspit View Post
    ......That's not hoarding. I'd say you are running dangerously low.
    Correct. And I don't shoot much, certainly not at inanimate objects.

I don't usually have this much on hand. I always have a hundered or so rounds for hunting, but I used to just pick up a brick on the way to the range if I was going shooting. Can't do that these days, so I've started stocking up a bit. I don't shoot much these days for two reasons: It's difficult to replace the ammo, and the nearest range is 45 minutes away. Wasilla needs to build one.

Wasilla needs to build one.
    There was a shop down here trying to open an indoor range, my understanding was insurance was the final holdup and eventually nixed the project, too bad, I was planning to be first in line to sign up!

He won't like the sound from my dog before he even gets to the door....
    Please attach a photo of your dog attached to Holder's buttocks...

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Please attach a photo of your dog attached to Holder's buttocks...
    More than happy to do so - if Eric ever has the courage to show up.

In a word NO! .22 is one of the most useful rounds on the planet. So much can be done with them. Now 2500 rounds of 600 Nitro...... Then we would have to talk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast