Thread: Klutina Reds

Default Klutina Reds

Any word or activity down there yet?
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Only if you like donuts........... Talked to some friends of mine that stopped by there and they reported no fish as of today.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Kings View Post
    Any word or activity down there yet?
    Word is the comm fleet destroyed the front end of the run netting 500,000+ fish in the salt. By this time last year the counts were in the tens of thousands daily. Only in the last few days has the weir seen any substantial numbers. It is estimated that it takes approx two weeks for the fish to reach the klutina from the weir. I would guess your efforts would be in vain for at least another 2-3 weeks. Looks like the first part of the run won't really exist this year. Also, unrestricted king harvest continues in this district despite state wide king deficits and major restrictions to sport fisherman. This does not bode well for Chitina dip net king retention or klutina kings. My guess is they'll be restricted to CnR/no bait again this year.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Just looked at the count for yesterday and it looked the stock market crash..........................

On this day last year the count was 482,315 with an end season total of 1.27 million fish past the weir and into the Copper River drainage. As of today only 90,202 fish have been counted with an estimated end season count of 229,311.

I slept at a holiday inn last night,

I do not place all my faith in the counter or other peoples reports (which I do not know about their experience).

I use the counter as a tool and count 10 days from the first 3 day consecutive count of 10K a day, (which has already happened)

Their is only a handful of people I could put my faith in for a on the ground report, And its not from the campgrounds.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

count so far is about where id expect it to be, late snow melt off=colder water=later runs

I think you are reading more than is there. My daughter works at Miles Lake and the reason the numbers are low is they have not been able to sample on both sides of the river until recently. As of late last week the South side ( I think south) sonar was not in due to ice and dangerous water conditions leaving only the North side counter working. The North side does not see the big pushes of fish, the South side does.

Link: /www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=commercialbyareacopperriver.salmon_ escapement

The first day for the North side count was on May 29th. Check out the graph and you will see that the daily count was 5,000 extra last week than predicted numbers.

The equipment is in as of Saturday but the amount of junk-in the river is scary. At the fish wheel that pulled fish out for tagging there was so much junk in the water that it became disabled. One of the workers was almost knocked into the Copper while trying to clear the logs and ice blocks.

Kelsie tells me there are lots of fish going by without being counted because of the condition of the water.

Don't guess but look at the numbers and get the real story. This is a 5th year return for Gulkana Kings. We expect to see fish hitting the river on or about June 12-15th. I have no idea if we will see good numbers but I am not willing to sell it as a bust unless it is a bust. We are seeing a strange year due to the water and ice but the rivers are cleaning up nicely...What is that?I thinkI have a fish on!

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com
    Kings, Reds and family trips

I was not guessing. I was using the numbers available as stated on ADF&G website. Current and historical numbers. 300,000 less fish from one year to another would make anyone wonder, especially without having on site reports from someone actually working at the weir site. I, and probably a great many Alaskans, were probably completely unaware of the inability to install the south weir until late. That def changes things and the current counts are probably not right as you stated due to a lot of fish passing the south side without being counted. Hopefully there's A LOT of fish that didn't get counted and the run will be normal.

I'll go with the Jedi, may the fish be with you!!!