Thread: Ketchikan Kings

Default Ketchikan Kings

Anybody doing well on Kings around Ketchikan yet?

Our king salmon derby is going on right now. This past weekend a 44.6 lb. is leading the derby. Only one more weekend for the derby. 272 kings were turned in this past weekend.

Out of 870+ people fishing...

Just got back from a week of fishing Ketchikan. We had seven people fishing out of two boats over four days (couldn't fish Thursday cause of high winds where we were). Grand total of 5 kings landed, with the biggest at 20.7# - lost one that just seemed to pull the hooks, and had two more bite through the leaders. Was getting bit on 25# flourocarbon leader, and when I switched to heavier flouro to avoid getting the line bitten through, we stopped getting hits until we went back to lighter leaders. Not really sure if this is because the fish could see the leader, or because the stiffer heavier leader changed the bait action in some way.

Every single king we caught was on a blue label cut-plug herring behind a red flasher. Did not get a single strike on other colors, lures or bait presentations.

It was satisfying to apply everything I've learned about fishing for kings on this forum to get my mom hooked into that 20 pounder; even with the slow fishing, that made the trip worthwhile for me ... oh, and the 36" lingcod that I caught Will make up quantity when we return in late July for pinks & silvers.

good to hear you guys got on some kings! There has certainly been more kings swimming around in SE in previous years... 5 kings ain't bad!

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    good to hear you guys got on some kings! There has certainly been more kings swimming around in SE in previous years... 5 kings ain't bad!
    Well, I suspect that our catch would have been zero if not for the advice you gave me. Thank you VERY much!

Did you use some herring heads with those blues? I've never trolled blues behind a flasher.

No, just brined the herring overnight & did a cut-plug rigging. 2-hook leader w/ 4/0 hooks.

What boats were you on?

I ended up landing two yesterday with 3 other herring getting bit in half. Thursday I got a decent one and hooked up on 3 more (broke off or spit the hook) in the course of 3 hours (2 lines out.)

Quote Originally Posted by Trappnguns View Post
    What boats were you on?

I ended up landing two yesterday with 3 other herring getting bit in half. Thursday I got a decent one and hooked up on 3 more (broke off or spit the hook) in the course of 3 hours (2 lines out.)
    Oh, we were using rental boats, not chartered boats.