Thread: What do i look for from Pearl Island to Gore Point for halibut?

Default What do i look for from Pearl Island to Gore Point for halibut?

This summer a buddy wants to head out to the Pearl Island to Gore point area weather permitting. His buddy has a 28ft boat with twin 250's on it. I can see a ton of what looks like rock piles so hopefully finding lings should not be a problem. What should we look for when we fish halibut? What type of structure? Depth? I am NOT looking for numbers just wondering what to look for out there. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Gravel adjacent to structure with some current. Sand/mud will do too in that area. The bases of the pinnacles will usually have fish too but beware of the rocks while drifting...they are tackle takers! Fishing vertical jigs with assist hooks really pays off around structure on the drift. Any drop to deep water is a good start.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    What should we look for when we fish halibut?
    Charter boats, they'll be stacked up in there on anchor during the right time and in the right place.

Limon thanks for the tip but that is one thing I wont do and that is follow a charter guy. To me its almost like stealing and I just cant do it. I will take a look at what they are sitting on and go find the same depth and so forth in another spot but to me they have spent years finding those spots and I will not horn in on them. I do appreciate your suggestion so don't take that wrong. I have had people tell me to follow so and so out and I refuse to even think about that. Its just not right. Yes they do not own the ocean but they have years invested in their spots and that is really all they have so I will respect that. If I see a guy sitting in 150ft of water off of a hump I will go find my own hump and 150ft of water some where out of his way. I also don't divulge spots that other have shown me when fishing and hunting. Its just not right.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Limon thanks for the tip but that is one thing I wont do and that is follow a charter guy. To me its almost like stealing and I just cant do it. I will take a look at what they are sitting on and go find the same depth and so forth in another spot but to me they have spent years finding those spots and I will not horn in on them. I do appreciate your suggestion so don't take that wrong. I have had people tell me to follow so and so out and I refuse to even think about that. Its just not right. Yes they do not own the ocean but they have years invested in their spots and that is really all they have so I will respect that. If I see a guy sitting in 150ft of water off of a hump I will go find my own hump and 150ft of water some where out of his way. I also don't divulge spots that other have shown me when fishing and hunting. Its just not right.
    I understand your theory, my point about that area is that its no secret where to halibut fish that area, sort of like compass rose, everyone knows about it and your going to see 20 charter boats all tied up in a couple square mile area that is relatively homogenous, a chicken hole really.

I certainly respect your integrity and consideration of the charter captains. I agree that following charter boats around is a poor habit.