Thread: first batch of skulls turned out great.

Default first batch of skulls turned out great.

So what do you guys think?

They look awesome.
    Care to list the chemicals and details on how you did it?
    BK

I sure can it is no big secret i have. With the raw skull i placed it in the ocean for the sea lice to eat all the meat. Which they did an amazing job for free to. By the looks of them after the ocean dunk they even appeared to be De-greased. I then washed them with water and soap to make sure to get all the sea bugs off of the skulls and out of the tight spots. I then went to sally beauty supply and bought some 30 percent peroxide in the gallon jug. I used the liquid stuff and it seems to work good. I completely submerge the skull in peroxide for a few days until it is white enough to my liking. I then washed with soap and water again and let them soak in water for a few hours to help get rid of the peroxide on the bone. I then pulled them out and let them dry completely. You can either let them be after that process or you can go one step further like i did with this skull and used thinned down Elmers glue and water and brushed a thin coat around the whole thing. It kind of gave it a shine and from what i read is suppose to help seal it up or something like that. I am by no means a professional and this was my first time trying something like this but i think it worked pretty well. It sure beat my dads idea of spraying his bear skull with a pressure washer and having brains fly all over.

You did a great job. Appreciate the write up.
    BK

thank you for the comments

Nice job! It could just be the lighting/ angle but it looks like ther is still some yellow (grease) in the eye socket areas on the bottom pictures it there is any yellow at all it will eventually leech out and you may have to refinish.

The spots look like grease. Degreasing alone can take several months.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Nice job! It could just be the lighting/ angle but it looks like ther is still some yellow (grease) in the eye socket areas on the bottom pictures it there is any yellow at all it will eventually leech out and you may have to refinish.
    True, been there and done that. The good thing about using the Elmer's Glue for sealing is that it's water soluable. In the event he needs to do some additional degreasing in the future, he can put them right in whatrever solution he chooses (I prefer Coleman fuel) and forget about them for a few weeks.

I use regular ol 87 octane from the pump for bear skull and let them soak for 1-2 weeks.
    If it's a large bear skull then drill some small holes underneath the lower jaw coming up into the jawbone to help release the oils.
    But, really they look great even with a little color to them.
    Too white and it looks sterile.
    My .02 cents!
    BK

Is it to late to try and soak some in fuel if i already used peroxide on them?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfever1 View Post
    Is it to late to try and soak some in fuel if i already used peroxide on them?
    No but you do need to use the peroxide sparingly as it will break down the bone.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Looks fantastic, I never would have guessed that was your first one!

great work! I'm trying to decide how I want to go bout it with some skulls. I don't have sea lice access, so I'm thinking of sending them south for some beetle work. Found a very relatively cheap place.

I don't know what brown elmers glue is, but I was told to use 50 50 white elmers glue to water to seal them.

Sorry to ask bit what is the skull of?

It is a Fox skull