Thread: Homer over 4th of July

Default Homer over 4th of July

Gonna do it and venture outside my comfort zone. With 5 kids and two days worth of limits on butts, we're hoping to be stocked up for the year. Been there twice with my boat, but with friends. Have the bumps/humps, compass rose and flat island charted out and not looking for specifics coordinates, but need to know if there are chickens to be found closer in the bay during this time of the year. I keep reading about the bluffs and kelp beds, how far are they from the harbor? Im looking to stay with in 30 minutes of the harbor. Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

15-18 miles straight out from the green marker. Drift and mark fish as you get them and move back above them and drift through again. Out in front of Seldovia where it starts to get deeper usually works. 130-170 feet deep is good.

The kelp beds up around the bluffs and Anchor river is about 18 miles. Difference here is there is fish in much more shallow water but the current does rip there because of it. If you anchor use good judgment. I like to keep my anchor attached to a float so I can release it quickly when I hook a big fish in shallow water...if not you will likely get spooled on a big fish. I like to fish 25-40 feet there.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Thanks AZ...forgot about the hole in front of Seldovia. I picked up a 200lber with my old 18ft Aluminum my 1st time outta there years ago. Just looking for a chicken hole for the kids to have a blast fishing till there arms fall off. Hopefully by then, the fishing will be good just about anywhere we drop a line. Thanks for the info. Will give them a try.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"