Thread: Jim and Vonnie Grimes

Default Jim and Vonnie Grimes

I am a distant relative of Jim and Vonnie Grimes and am trying to locate the lodge they built many years ago. I saw their names mentioned in a thread from January of this year and thought someone on this forum would know them. I know they had a cabin on Butte Lake, but not much else. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by reefranger View Post
    I am a distant relative of Jim and Vonnie Grimes and am trying to locate the lodge they built many years ago. I saw their names mentioned in a thread from January of this year and thought someone on this forum would know them. I know they had a cabin on Butte Lake, but not much else. Any help would be appreciated.

They had a lodge on the Denali Hwy. Both of their sons are LEO. Last I knew they are in Florida. The lodge and Jim's Guiding Business was Adventures Unlimited (however someone else may be using that business name now). The Sons should be in the Anchorage Phone Book. They are "TOP-SHELF" people. Jim hand dug a 40" water well, and cribbed it. Rick Halford and I would always stop for coffee & pie when going to the city for supplies. One of the boys is married to the City Prosecutor.

Jim and Vonnie are both deceased and yes, they had been in Keaton Beach for many years. Do you know if the lodge is still operating and if so under what name and where on the Denali Hwy? My parents are hoping to visit this summer and finally see the place that they have heard so much about over the years. Will try to find the sons in Anchorage. What is LEO? Thanks.

Law enforcement officer

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Jim and Vonnie are both deceased and yes, they had been in Keaton Beach for many years. Do you know if the lodge is still operating and if so under what name and where on the Denali Hwy? My parents are hoping to visit this summer and finally see the place that they have heard so much about over the years. Will try to find the sons in Anchorage. What is LEO? Thanks.
    As you drive from Cantwell it is a bit past Brushkana Creek on the South (right) side of the road. Correction the well they dug is 40 FEET deep and about 4' by 4' Jim would dig and Vonnie would pull up the buckets of material.

Really appreciate all of the information. Do you know if the lodge is currently in operation and if so what is the name?

Really appreciate all of the information. Do you know if the lodge is currently in operation and if so what is the name?
    Sorry I have No Idea, I have not been in that country after I sold my Homestead about 77'

There is a lodge that advertises on this forum down the Denali Haul Road a wee'bit.....Alpine (Something)

The lodge is not in operation. It is right around mile 100 or so on the Denali Hwy. on the right side. A couple weeks ago water was running right through the front yard from snow runoff, but it looked like the main building was doing fine. I see folks use it at times in the winter and during hunting season. If you are driving the Denali Highway, Alpine Creek lodge is another 32 miles along. It's the first open all year lodge you will come to from the Cantwell side.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem