Thread: Get down with rockfish recompression

Default Get down with rockfish recompression

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiZFghwVOyI

This video shows you how to do it.

Great video to start my day ~ thanks for sharing.
    We recently received 2 Shelton's and are ready to get our Rockfish Recompression on!
    Tight Lines!

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiZFghwVOyI

This video shows you how to do it.

Very nice video !!!!!!!!!
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

So after watching the video and seeing the other release tool I did not know about. What one do you guys use? If you catch a rock fish at say 250 + do you have to let the fish go back to the same depth? I see one of the release tools does not go down that far.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

OK guys here goes at explaining how far to let a fish down. I used to be heavy into Scuba diving and the cardinal sin of SCUBA diving was NEVER EVER hold your breath when you come up after taking in a breath. If you do you will rupture your lungs as the air expands. One thing to remember is 33ft is 1 atmosphere. That means when you go 33ft under water you double the amount of pressure you have at sea level. So if you are at 14psi at sea level you will have 28psi at 33ft. that is a big difference. That is why when you dive under water even 10ft your ears and sinus's start to hurt. Now think of being 33ft down and how much your ears would hurt. When releasing a rockfish the deeper you get them the better. If you hooked them at 90ft you will want to get close to that if you can. Getting them 45ft down will even make a HUGE difference in the amount the swim bladder will go down but it may not be far enough. I would guess 75% of the way back down would be a minimum. I have used the Shelton ones shown in the video and they are super easy to use and work great!! Remember each 33ft of water or Atmosphere you go down you increase the pressure by about 14psi. Every atmosphere matters!

Thanks for posting this! We might include it on our Deep-Water Release page. I would be interested in a critique of that page, as we are always trying to improve the quality of our content here. So have at it!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

We released some rock fish with the "Deep-Water Release" last week, it seemed to work fine, I used a 16oz de-barbed jig.
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

FYI, that rap featured Ray Troll from KTN as the secondary rapster! What a hoot!

The rockfish thread made me think it's time to bump this.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Yep totally agree with the Shelton's deep water release. We've been using it for a few years. Very easy to use. Thanks for bringing it back to the top.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

http://www.sheltonproducts.com/SFD.html These things are incredible. It should be against the law to fish rockfish without one or something made for releasing rockfish. You can feel the fish start to kick about half the way down.

See also the ADF&G video and other information on this web page:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...shconservation