Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wheres this DC6 going?

Default wheres this DC6 going?

anybody know where this plane goes almost daily from Palmer to the West-Northwest? goes right over my house, I wish they would fly lower- love the sound.
    "f/64 and be there"

Call Palmer FSS 745-2495 (during normal business hours) I bet they would know. Ask for a weather report at the same time so they can get "credit" for you call.

Quote Originally Posted by EMoss#83 View Post
    .....anybody know where this plane goes almost daily from Palmer to the West-Northwest? .......
    There have seasonally been larger prop cargo planes flying out of Palmer going in that directions for at least 20 years or so that I know of. Someone once told me that it flies in and out of a mine somewhere near Farewell or McGrath. I have no idea whether that is/was accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by EMoss#83 View Post

anybody know where this plane goes almost daily from Palmer to the West-Northwest? goes right over my house, I wish they would fly lower- love the sound.

You read my mind Emoss, I saw this plane over my place often and wondered the same thing. I've never seen this particular airplane until this year. I agree it is a cool sounding plane going overhead...but I like it just fine at the elevation it passes overhead..LOL, I get enough "tower buzzing" already between the local boys and the military...

Where ever it is going you better enjoy it, you are seeing something that will soon be gone. Get an aviation scanner or hand held radio and listen. You could just ask them. Palmer is a hub for firefighting.
    Tim

It flys directly over Alexander Creek almost Daily so I would venture to say McGrath, know a guy that flies one to Bethal too.

That looks a great deal like a Con Air DC 6 Air tanker. My guess is it came off the Palmer Tankerbase enroute to a fire out West, and that if additional loads are needed they will turn around at the McGrath Base. The current Alaska DOF tanker contract is for a 580 turboprop but up until a few seasons ago Alaska used DC 6 from Con Air. The DC 6 still fills in.

It's not quite possible to be certain if that bird carries a belly tank or if the number 46 or 51 is on the vertical stabilizer. Those would be sure clues it's an Airtanker enroute to make some grungy firefighter with a radio very happy.

Anyone remember the KC 97 which operated off Palmer until around 2002? That old beast carried a lot of "mud" and used all the runway. On takeoff the big beast would be clawing for air as everyone on the ramp watched for a cloud of red indicating an emergency jettison. Those four row radials had their issues and the "Aluminum Overcast" did six engine swaps that year. Bet they wished they were operating the reliable R 2800 engines that the DC 6 uses!

Quote Originally Posted by upstreamV View Post
    That looks a great deal like a Con Air DC 6 Air tanker. My guess is it came off the Palmer Tankerbase enroute to a fire out West, and that if additional loads are needed they will turn around at the McGrath Base. The current Alaska DOF tanker contract is for a 580 turboprop but up until a few seasons ago Alaska used DC 6 from Con Air. The DC 6 still fills in........
    My daughter works for Forestry at the Palmer airport. I gave her a call, and she pretty much confirmed what you wrote. I emailed her the photo, and when she responds, I'll update.

I remember another aircraft flying out of Palmer that might have been that KC 97, but I can't be sure. It sure rumbled through here! I'd call it the Harley Davidson of the sky!

Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    My daughter works for Forestry at the Palmer airport. I gave her a call, and she pretty much confirmed what you wrote. I emailed her the photo, and when she responds, I'll update......
    She says two of those Con Air tankers have been flying out of there recently. She texted me a photo of the two of them there. The numbers on the vertical stabilizers are 52 and 55. Both have belly tanks.

Awesome, thanks Guys- I knew I could count on you guys for good info
    "f/64 and be there"

The smoke jumpers that work out of Ft. Wainwright have 2 of these they use as well you can see them parked on the east side of the runway

I would suspect that aircraft is flying a cargo run for someone. Definitely not a firefighting aircraft.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Photo taken at the Palmer airport:

Attachment 71254

These are not the same as the photo in the opening post.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I would suspect that aircraft is flying a cargo run for someone. Definitely not a firefighting aircraft.
    That makes sense, I was seeing it often in the sky back in April, long before fire season..

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    That makes sense, I was seeing it often in the sky back in April, long before fire season..
    Ditto! They have been flying this route for years!

May be one of those that used to fly avgas to us at Paintr Creek Lodge down near Port Heiden . . . . .

DC-4. Fuel to Nixon fork mine

Default DC-4 inflight Bogard Rd & Seward Meridian

DC-4 SM-Bogard.jpgTrying to make this work

Cargo door looks like it might let the mosquitoes in.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

YEEHAW!! 10:26AM A Little Lower Please!
    "f/64 and be there"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast