Thread: My first Bear

Default My first Bear

Spent the weekend in PWS looking for a black bear. Went out Friday Am and headed to my spot. Few other boats around but spent several hours glassing and slowly cruising the shore in my raft, did not see a bear. Saturday AM about 10 am we started crusing the coast and told the boys there was a $50 reward for the first bear spotted. An hour later I spotted a bear on the beach. Dumped my gear in the raft and left the family in the boat to watch. Motored to shore, walked a few hundred yards in the woods and poped out on the beach about 60 yards from the bear. Laid on the beach catching my breath and taking a good look at the bear. Looked good to me so I moved a bit to get a shot and hit it with my 45/70. It jumped up and ran up into some rocks and fell on its back, I jumped up and moved within about 50 ft when it got up and started to take off so I put 2 more shots into it and it tried to run up a cliff and fell into the bay. It never moved again. Left it in the water and went back to get the raft and family. Took a couple hours but my wife and I got it skinned and back to the boat. Had backstrap for dinner Saturday and heart on Sunday. The rest is at Pioneer meets getting turned into meat sticks. Hide is in the refrigerator tonight and hopefully going to Dahlberg's tomorrow.

Not the biggest bear in the world, but it's my first and now my wife wants to shoot one next year.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Congratulations on your first.

Congrats JR2. Glad ya finally connected on one. I bet that was a pain getting him out of the water though. A wet bear is a heavy bear. What did he measure out at? And you picture isn't showing.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Not sure on the size, if I had to guess I would say 5 ft from nose to tail, about 100 lbs maybe. Just drug it out of the water as the tide went down enough for me to get to it.

Loaded the photo with tap and talk.. Here it is again.

Sure looks small with me standing over it.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Congrats, man!

I got my first bear (first big game) this weekend in the Sound, too. Exhilarating.

Enjoy the journey has now began.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Right on JR2! They are very good eating and the hides are beautifully furred up this time of year.
    Congratulations on getting one, it's pretty exciting.
    My wife shot her first bear a couple weeks ago and she was stoked as well.
    BK

Sweet!! Congrats!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    but it's my first and now my wife wants to shoot one next year.
    Congrats................why wait till next year?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Congrats................why wait till next year?
    Early bear season in PWS closes on the 10th... and I have to go to the slope for a couple of weeks. She also wants to be able to eat it and shoot it next to the ocean. We might go after on this fall in PWS if all works out, but otherwise we will just aim for two next Spring. Oh and she needs a gun, wants a Browning BAR short track in 7mm-08 and then she needs to learn to shoot it.

Congrats,love family outings like that. Everyone seems to have a good time and get more interested in enjoing the outdoors.

Here is a shot of my youngest having some bear ribs. He devoured the heart with me the next day as well.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.

The wife connected with her first bear this past weekend too.
    I'm very proud of her sticking with it and fulfilling her objective [one I though she'd NEVER undertake] for two-years.
    Here's a picture of her 5 foot 4 inch boar [pic taken at midnight] with a really nice hide.
    She shot the bear at 11 PM and we returned to the boat to get our German Wirehair to track it into the woods.
    From her rest on a rock at 134 yards she sent the 165 gr. Nosler Partition handload from a Styer Mannlicher .308 right through the heart!
    The bear only made it 10 yards inside the tree line.
    Those extra trips to the shooting range really paid off.

JR ~ not to highjack your thread but I hope you find this an acceptable place for me to post our experience and share in your success.
    You've always been forthright with me in the past. Congrats on your first bear too. Bears are awesome!

bear 2013 030.jpg

Fine with me and nice bear.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.