Thread: fishing close to fairbanks

Default fishing close to fairbanks

Where is a few good spots to catch any graylings or trout upin Fairbanks new to the area only be here a few weeks want to catch some nicefish staying on FT Wainwright will drive a little ways out maybe hours to hourand half have spinning equipment also hear the laws here are tricky.

The Delta Clearwater is world class for grayling, especially if you flyfish. We did ok there a few years ago when I was working in the area using flies with casting bubbles on spinning rigs.

I took my kids up Chena Hot Springs road this weekend and the little ponds must have been recently stocked because the fish were thick! Mostly Rainbows and nothing big but the kids didn't care! We did get a few Grayling to. We got skunked in the river.

The ponds at 25, 45, and 48 mile were just stocked with rainbows. There's a considerable population of (small) graylings in them, too. I think the ponds are probably a better bet for small kids than the river.

The river is starting to get fishy but it's relatively tough fishing.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    The ponds at 25, 45, and 48 mile were just stocked with rainbows. There's a considerable population of (small) graylings in them, too. I think the ponds are probably a better bet for small kids than the river.

The river is starting to get fishy but it's relatively tough fishing.

Yeah my kids had a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by akrogers View Post
    Yeah my kids had a blast!
    You can also throw a canoe or even a small motorboat in them and have it be a lot safer than the river or Chena Lake. I don't usually fish the ponds but last week the river was so high that I stopped by the mile 48 pond and there was a couple there teaching their little girl to fish. I gave them a broad berth but from what I saw from a distance the daughter was having a great time - something she'll remember the rest of her life, and getting her started on a life outdoors. Those little ponds are a great resource. (also, it's okay to keep what you catch )
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

I spoke with a guy that had some success in the upper chena this last week.

Most of the grayling fishing in the rivers around fairbanks C&R, i suggest a double check before you harvest.

If you would like to talk about the area I would be willing to assist you in getting started 907-388-4532 good luck to ya and welcome to the Interior
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com