Thread: Anybody shoot a High Power

Default Anybody shoot a High Power

While I'm not a 9mm fan normally I have always had a soft spot for the old P35. I bought one as my very first handgun at age 12 or 13 with money I earned doing odd jobs. A year or so later it was swapped off in favor of a Ruger single six, a gun I could afford to feed. I've always missed the good looks and great handling characteristics of the Browning, always vowing to get another one someday. Well a week or two ago my lovely bride surprised me by buying me a used HiPower, a nice MKII put together in Belgium in 1980. It has a few whiskey bumps, scuffs and dings, and somebody put a set of hogue rubber grips on it, yuck, but there's no pitting or deep gouges, a perfect project!

I removed the mag safety, can't abide that feature, and replaced the spur hammer with a ring type. With a little polishing and tweaking of the innards, I got a nice crisp 5# trigger pull, perfect for the street or the range. I replaced the recoil spring and firing pin return springs with new extra power units from Wolff, judging by their collapsed state I doubt that they had ever been replaced since installed at the factory.

I have only fired one magazine full through it so far, into the trap in the back of the shop, but at 8yds I cut all of them into a single oblong hole around 2" in diameter with Winchester hardball. I know it shoots, and of course it swallows 115 fmjs like icecream but I have some plans for it yet. I see a set of sights in it's future, either Kensight Rollo rear and plain black front or a plain black Novak rear and a gold bead front, haven't decided yet but the factory offerings are just too small. Either some light stippling or a crosshatch engraving scheme on the front and backstraps for grip, I'd prefer to just checker them but the frontstraps are too thin to take checkering coarser than about 35lpi. The top half is going to be matte blued while the frame is destined for the chrome shop to be matte hard chromed.

Im currently on the hunt for a bullet mold for the 9mm, I'd like to find a truncated flat point for possible use as a roaming around gun capable of taking game such as coyotes, turkey, and small hogs. One concern I have is that the factory barrel may not perform with lead bullets. Although it shoots great with jacketed projectiles the throat is about 1/2" long, like a Weatherby 9mm! I do have another aftermarket barrel I've been packing around in my junk box for some time that looks a little better, probably only 1/4" of throat in it, guess ill just have to try them both when I find a mold. I do have a pair of 38/357 molds, but I've never seen any 9mm data for 155 or 173gr bullets.

I don't guess I'm really going anywhere with this, I'm just exited to have a P35 again after more than a decade. There isn't a huge following out there on the net, not like the 1911 with all the forums and such. Just thought I'd see if any fellow Alaskans shot a HP.

Love the old High Powers if you are going to shoot a 9mm,next best is the S&W 39.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default high powers

I've got a couple of the Canadian Ingris WWII guns; got one in the 60s and another one in the 80s. One is fixed sights; the other has the shoulder slot cut and tangent sights. The High Power was used by both sides in WWII; I don't recall any other weapon that shared that common useage.

At one time the Ingris guns were reported to be stronger since they were made for Sten gun ammo. Most likely a myth but I've never followed up on the story. The ones I've got do appear to be somewhat harder metal than some other I've examined.

My guns shoot about everything very well, and with the ramp built into the barrel they will even feed empty cases. Good magazines are a must but many of the magazines are aftermarket junk. I used to shoot a lot of cast bullets in mind; I don't recall hacing any issues with any design.

Enjoy your fine pistol!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I, too, love Browning Hi Powers but, unfortunately don't own one at present. I own a WWII Japanese Nambu that I would gladly trade for a 1960-1970(one with the commander style hammer)Belgium Hi Power?
    Steve

As a side note to what TV said about the High Power used by both sides the Harley Davidson motor cycle was used by Japan and us as a common transport for the Pacific part of the war.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have a little over 20 years with my Hi Power. It wears a beautiful pair of cocobolo stocks from Craig Spegel. Arizona pistol smith Don Williams put Novak sights on it, bobbed the hammer, welded up a beaver tail on it, steepled the front and back strap, gave me a crisp 4 lb. trigger and a Cylinder & Slide safety and then blued it. I was going to put a Bar Sto barrel in it, but it shoots to good to mess with. It is a very reliable gun that I have complete faith in. I have an old Milt Sparks IWB Executive Companion holster and a Kramer Horse Hide Belt Scabbard for it to ride in. It is really a good pistol. I consider it an heirloom to be passed on. It's trigger does not have the short reset of a 1911, but a good pistol shooter can make a Hi Power go bang very fast.

I do. It's more or less a SHTF pistol than anything else. It's an FN which I think was made for Israeli security forces or LE that was surplused out. It's a basic no-frills military model with, spur hammer, tiny .mil-type fixed sights, a factory painted finish and black, plastic stocks.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I don't guess I'm really going anywhere with this, I'm just exited to have a P35 again after more than a decade.
    You should be excited because it is a superb handgun. I own several along with one Argentine clone. Probably the best fit-to-hand handgun ever produced and such a natural pointer that is almost like an extension of your index finger. There is a reason the design has stayed not only in production but in service with so many armed forces around the world because it simply works and works well. Mine are all keepers. Just had one of them re-parkerized there in Anchorage -- did a superb job!

The Browning Hi Power has always been my father's and brother's favorite pistols. And I mean bone stock. I personally love it, except that I would add larger levers on it for the safety and slide release. Iíve never owned one, but have shot them, and have chosen other pistols for my own use.

My brother is a really good self-taught pistol shot, and the following is anecdotal, but: a few of years ago, my brother (Stephen) went to a combat shooting course with about 40 participants, including some Blackwater guys. Stephen showed up with his Hi Power and checked in to some relatively-friendly comments about his interesting, but ancient, choice of pistol from guys with modern competition pistols--from tricked-out 1911s to Sigs, HKs, and Glocks. He went on to outshoot every one of the competitors. At the end, they were asking Stephen about his Hi Power. Heís pretty gifted with a pistol, and probably would have done well with a fancy Sig 210 or something, but for a moment, among a bunch of competent shooters he beat, he had them all interested in the Hi Power. Itís a beautiful, accurate, and well-balanced pistol. It can be equaled, but Iím not sure it can be beat, by the more-modern pistols. It fits great in most hands and balances and shoots more-accurately than most people who fire it. Like the 1911, itís been around for about a century (and designed by the same guy), and itís still pretty amazing.

Anyway, there is nothing any normal person can do well with any service pistol that can't be done with a Browning Hi Power IMO.

The only thing I would want changed about my Hi Power is to have drop free mags. I know that Browning makes drop free mags, but really, springs on the mags?
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Removing the magazine safety will cure the drop free dilemma 338-06. At least on all of the HiPowers I have tuned up.

Kid, you asked about a bullet mould for your HP; one that I used succesfully with two different HPs was the ancient Lyman-Ideal 115 grain Crabtree designed SWC, mould number 358345. It was designed around the turn of the century (the 1800 to 1900 one) for target shooting, IIRC. It fed fine in the HPs and in a couple of different Star .380s. Adjust seating depth to fit the magazines. As I recall, I used a taper crimp about halway along the front band. I don't recall my loads, but do remember that it would stay in 3" at 25 yards out of the .380s, firing two handed off of a bench using my then low mileage young eyeballs. Whacks critters the size you're talking about nicely, with quite a bit more authority than the 120 grain Lyman truncated cone does with its small meplat. It can run well over 1200 fps out of the HP. You'll have to get it off ebay or other auction site, as it is no longer cataloged.