Thread: Deshka to yetna

Default Deshka to yetna

Im pretty familiar with the channel from the landing to the deshka but would like to run down to the yetna or further. Is there anything I need to know? Special water conditions? I know its high right now so it will probably make it easier to navigate minus extra debris. Any tips would be helpful.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Just got back. My buddy and I ran into Flathorn lake. We ran our waverunners down and back this afternoon. Water is super high. Some debris, but not too bad. Right now you can pretty much run all over the river. As long as you can generally read a river you will be good. Just look for logs that are hung up. That will tell you where it is shallow.

Have fun and good luck. Bring a hooli net, they are thick down there. Got allot more from the West bank.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Im pretty familiar with the channel from the landing to the deshka but would like to run down to the yetna or further. Is there anything I need to know? Special water conditions? I know its high right now so it will probably make it easier to navigate minus extra debris. Any tips would be helpful.
    c6 batmobile, give me a holler someday and on one of my freight trips you can follow me in to Alexander. High water or low water I can show you in. I can run this river with one eye closed and the other one full of dirt! Plus I have a guest cabin you can stay in for a visit. Hoolican are so thick that if you have a big dipnet you can get a hundred at a time!

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    c6 batmobile, give me a holler someday and on one of my freight trips you can follow me in to Alexander. High water or low water I can show you in. I can run this river with one eye closed and the other one full of dirt! Plus I have a guest cabin you can stay in for a visit. Hoolican are so thick that if you have a big dipnet you can get a hundred at a time!
    Sounds like a blast. Im always looking to branch out. Let me know when your doing a freight trip and If I have the day off work I will be there.

How far away is the alexander from the yetna? Tomorrow is gonna be an explore day since the water is high I figure its a good time. Im bringing a net capable of scooping up some hooligan (at least I hope). Any tips on catching them? Ive watched some videos. Seems you just find some slack water like an eddy and run a net through there.

Sorry, no time tomorrow. Thanks for the offer to haul freight but we don't actually have a cabin or land down there. We were just exploring. As for the hooligan, I always did better along a cut bank in relatively fast water. No trick to it really. Just run your net down.

It's 23 miles from the Yentna to Alexander creek. Keep to the right as you are headed down. Go under the power lines and then take your next right. You pretty much do a 180 and then you are headed up Alexander.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    Sorry, no time tomorrow. Thanks for the offer to haul freight but we don't actually have a cabin or land down there. We were just exploring. As for the hooligan, I always did better along a cut bank in relatively fast water. No trick to it really. Just run your net down.

It's 23 miles from the Yentna to Alexander creek. Keep to the right as you are headed down. Go under the power lines and then take your next right. You pretty much do a 180 and then you are headed up Alexander.

Good luck.
    Actually, there is a short cut to Alexander. When you get to Su Station stay to the left and take that channel till it comes out to the east channel. Go straight across and shoot into a little channel we call Five fingers and take the West channel to Alexander Creek. cuts a total of 16 miles off your round trip. Five fingers is around 5 miles above the gas line and cuts a lot of time off your trip. I do freight runs for the locals and was only offering to let someone follow me when I do make a run. Know a few more short cuts too!

Actually, there is a short cut to Alexander. When you get to Su Station stay to the left and take that channel till it comes out to the east channel. Go straight across and shoot into a little channel we call Five fingers and take the West channel to Alexander Creek. cuts a total of 16 miles off your round trip. Five fingers is around 5 miles above the gas line and cuts a lot of time off your trip. I do freight runs for the locals and was only offering to let someone follow me when I do make a run. Know a few more short cuts too!
    Thanks for the info Alexander. You learn something new every day. I'll have to try that one. Thanks again.

These must be the five fingers that you are referring to.

alexander.jpg

[QUOTE=907pride;1290363]These must be the five fingers that you are referring to.

alexander.jpgThat would be the West channel leading to Alexander. 5 fingers is just out of the map at the top to the north. Really only one finger open due to log jams in the others. but the first finger up river is starting to clear of logs. As far as running the West channel it can get tricky at times as it pans out but stay in the biggest part and read the water and your on your way! I live in the yellow house across from the old Gabberts fish camp about a mile up the creek. Stop by sometime!

[QUOTE=alexander;1290367]
    Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    That would be the West channel leading to Alexander. 5 fingers is just out of the map at the top to the north. Really only one finger open due to log jams in the others. but the first finger up river is starting to clear of logs. As far as running the West channel it can get tricky at times as it pans out but stay in the biggest part and read the water and your on your way! I live in the yellow house across from the old Gabberts fish camp about a mile up the creek. Stop by sometime!
    Thanks for the offer and all of the info. Maybe I'll get back that way later on in the summer. I head out of town this week for work and won't be back for awhile.

Again, thanks for all the great information. Have a great summer.

Ran down to the yetna today. Fun little adventure. We did get into a trouble area-hit a small gravel bar that was under about 6 inches of water. Didn't see it until the last second. Got the boat throttled down enough to do very little damage (couple little nicks on the prop). Marked it on the GPS and went around it on the way back.

That river is absolutely chocked with hooligan. We dipped for about 45 minutes and loaded up on em. Ran out of space to put em. Still no signs of kings although I did hear of someone with a fish wheel getting a few.

Ran down to the yetna today. Fun little adventure. We did get into a trouble area-hit a small gravel bar that was under about 6 inches of water. Didn't see it until the last second. Got the boat throttled down enough to do very little damage (couple little nicks on the prop). Marked it on the GPS and went around it on the GPS
    Hope the channel holds up for you but that sand bar will probably change from year to year. The GPS coordinates might only be good for this year. Hopefully no floods like last year and it stays put!!
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Ran down to the yetna today. Fun little adventure. We did get into a trouble area-hit a small gravel bar that was under about 6 inches of water. Didn't see it until the last second. Got the boat throttled down enough to do very little damage (couple little nicks on the prop). Marked it on the GPS and went around it on the way back.

That river is absolutely chocked with hooligan. We dipped for about 45 minutes and loaded up on em. Ran out of space to put em. Still no signs of kings although I did hear of someone with a fish wheel getting a few.
    The fish wheels belong to Fish and Game for research. There is from what I heard about an average run of 100 million Hooligan so eat hardy!

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Hope the channel holds up for you but that sand bar will probably change from year to year. The GPS coordinates might only be good for this year. Hopefully no floods like last year and it stays put!!
    Your right Raptor 1, the channel changes constantly, a lot of times more than once a year! Being a freight hauler I never get stuck though. And if you believe that I have a bridge to nowhere to sell ya! LOL

We went down again yesterday for hooligan slamed them on the yenta got to see a bull and a cow swim across the big su the wife got some nice photos. alexander you seeing any more kings yet
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    We went down again yesterday for hooligan slamed them on the yenta got to see a bull and a cow swim across the big su the wife got some nice photos. alexander you seeing any more kings yet
    Yes, they are rolling some down here. Hoping ours keep increasing like they did last year. The Kings that come up the west channel for the upper rivers and creeks usually pull into the mouth here and clean their gills and rest up before they head North. When the mouth of the creek is full of Kings I can pretty much figure the Deshka and the other rivers will get an influx in a few days. Sucks to see all them Kings and not get to catch one but hey........ someday, someway, someday!

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    More than likely it will. It was more of a lets not hit this on the way back sort of thing. Im still learning to read water well. I have some experience but Im no expert. Practice makes perfect I guess. That and an endless supply of props.

More than likely it will. It was more of a lets not hit this on the way back sort of thing. Im still learning to read water well. I have some experience but Im no expert. Practice makes perfect I guess. That and an endless supply of props.
    That's what I call a good attitude!

That's what I call a good attitude!
    It beats any day at work!