Thread: Reds showing up in Kenai yet?

Default Reds showing up in Kenai yet?

I just read on another site some one said that the first reds are starting to show up in Kenai and Kasilof and I am just wondering if any one on here can verify that or not.

I am just curios as I am itching to catch some reds

Rollers reported at the moose confluence via AOJ.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Thats where I read it at, I was just wondering if any one else had seen/caught them as well. Isnt it a week or two early for the first run to start showing up?

Reds have been spotted up at the Russian some years as early as Memorial weekend.

As of a few days ago, 82 had already been captured at the tidewater test net.

That said, the peak of the run is generally around Father's Day, give or take a few days because that holiday rolls around a bit.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

OK an even better calendar milestone.... the summer solstice. Pretty much on fire for the week straddling the solstice.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I have heard of others limited success for Kenai reds. Not on fire by any means yet.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

The reds are moving through the lower Kenai in surprisingly good numbers. Targeted them in the Sterling area this past weekend with good results; partner and I limited in less than one hour. Some limits are also being taken at Swiftwater Campground in Soldotna. If you hit a migratory channel just right, limits could be possible. Otherwise be prepared for many hours of casting for each fish.

Hopefully this is a promising sign for things to come at the Russian next week. According to a guide friend of mine, some reds are already stacking up at the mouth of the Russian with a few fish venturing into the river itself as well as the upper Kenai as far upstream as Kenai Lake. The high water on the upper river and Russian may be helping the early run move through faster than usual. Time will tell.

Some early fish are also being caught from the bank at the Kasilof but not nearly with the consistency as the Kenai. Hit the Crooked Creek area at or right after high tide. The advantage here is the chance of hooking a legal king (hatchery fish).

Still a ton of hooligan heading up the Kenai with peak numbers between Soldotna and Sterling. One scoop is all it takes to fill a bucket.

Well just knowing for sure now that they are starting to trickle in gives me hope haha. Might have to head down in a week or two or once they start to slam in.

Default reds...

I went down to Kasilof last weekend, saw a few kings taken by the drift boats, caught a Rainbow myself, and saw a nice steelhead caught. All of this was in about an hour's time. Didn't see any reds caught tho.

Stopped by the Moose river area, lots of jumpers, saw a few caught, mostly snagged...
    One out of stater said as long as it was within 3 inches of the head it was legal, had to correct him on that.

Within three inches of the head? Lmao, sounds like either he was trying to BS you or some one sure BS'd him lol.

Ya buddy. That's an out-of-stater for ya. I betchya he heard that from another out-of-stater... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

There are reds in the Kenai. Saw them today with my own eyes. See some more of them again tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff64 View Post
    I went down to Kasilof last weekend, saw a few kings taken by the drift boats, caught a Rainbow myself, and saw a nice steelhead caught. All of this was in about an hour's time. Didn't see any reds caught tho.

Stopped by the Moose river area, lots of jumpers, saw a few caught, mostly snagged...
    One out of stater said as long as it was within 3 inches of the head it was legal, had to correct him on that.

That's a good one, you should have told him to tell that to the trooper when he busts him for snagging!

My mommy said as long as it is within 24 inches of the mouth its ok to keep it!

Lots of hooligan in the Kenai.

The subsistence net got 34 reds and 2 jack kings yesterday so they are starting to show up.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

What do you mean by a "Jack"?

Quote Originally Posted by Eatsleepfish View Post
    A jack is a small king, 20" or less according to the law.

Not cricket to acknowledge that you don't no "Jack" on an Outdoors Forum.................hehehehe

A jack is a precocious male king who comes back to spawn after only a year in the salt. The law says under 20 but many jacks are larger than that.