Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to start hunting, nobody that I know does though.

Default Want to start hunting, nobody that I know does though.

I'm looking for an experienced hunter that is looking for a solid, reliable hunting partner. I've not done a lot of hunting, but having been in the military and spending most of my time in the woods as a kid has taught me a lot about safety, bush craft and general knowledge, just not the hunting aspect. I've got access to a lot of weapons thanks to a wonderful father-in-law so I just want to get out and hunt this summer/fall (if summer ever hits for more than the week of 80f like it did last week here in Anchorage).

Also of note, i'm pretty sane and a family man. Thanks, Mike.

you could start by chasing trail-side moose around the anchorage area in tennis shoes, and also ducks at lake hood. Just you....and the ducks.

if that don't work, you got forum member 323 working on "jibber". My native name for him is: mi'nanuq, meaning: he who kills baby bears with cannon.

Well, I don't have any tennis shoes...Don't know the regs on using moccosins....

Are you in fairbanks?

First thing to do :

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=huntered.main

At least take the online portion (even if your not required) it is very informative for basic hunting skills.... Habatat where to aim... How to treat the meat of a kill.... Good stuff. If you have a valid hunters education card ill do what I can for you. I'm by no means a sour dough.... But I'll try. Thanks for your service by the way!

I can't imagine trying to start from scratch, honestly. The regs alone are overwhelming for even the most seasoned hunter up here. My suggestion for starting out would be to pick one animal you want to hunt. Be it caribou or black bear, deer, whatever. Then pick where you want to go. From there learn the regs for that area in and out. Make sure you have all your tags and what not.

Find some books or DVD's on game care. Killing an animal is half the battle, the other have is getting it from where ever you shot it to your home without it spoiling.

As far as the hunting part, ask questions and read through the forum archives. Learning how to hunt usually just takes a lot of trial and error in finding what works. I've hunting mostly alone my adult life and it's taken many years to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Duh... Anchor town..... Dunno how much help ill be.....

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    My native name for him is: mi'nanuq, meaning: he who kills baby bears with cannon.
    Dang it, now I have to clean my desk again... Coffee stains all over my paperwork... I just hope I can stop laughing long enough to breathe soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikon View Post
    I'm looking for an experienced hunter that is looking for a solid, reliable hunting partner. I've not done a lot of hunting, but having been in the military and spending most of my time in the woods as a kid has taught me a lot about safety, bush craft and general knowledge, just not the hunting aspect. I've got access to a lot of weapons thanks to a wonderful father-in-law so I just want to get out and hunt this summer/fall (if summer ever hits for more than the week of 80f like it did last week here in Anchorage).

Also of note, i'm pretty sane and a family man. Thanks, Mike.
    I've been in a similar boat for about 4 years now. The best advice I can give you is to talk to as many people as you can, read as many forum posts as you can and be prepared to filter the info you get. Eventually you'll start to get a mental picture.

Step two is get out and hike around the mountains as much as you can. Pick an area and just go there, as often as you can. You'll start seeing game, write down when and where. I've been doing this for 4 years now and i've yet to harvest a big game animal, however i'm able to go find blackbears nearly at-will now, i've put stalks on 2, the first one just outsmarted us, the second one we got snowed out.

This year I managed a coyote and a Lynx, very good success for a first year calling but I chose my locations based on 4 years of "scouting".

Time in the field is unbeatable for learning how to hunt. You'll also find out where NOT to hunt. If you want to bear hunt and you spend a whole summer in a section of mountains and never see a bear you'll know the next year not to concentrate on that area. I ruled out a trail this weekend for bear hunts because I have seen about 8 bears from the trail, all of which were essentially un-reachable. No reason to continue going in there if I can't get to the bears.

Think Limon hit the nail on the head...get out there and figure out what's happening in the woods.

A couple of good reference type books like Tony Russ's "Manual for Successful Hunters" or similar that gives a starting point for your own experiences in the field.

If you can find a mentor you'll be in better shape- but concentrate on the fundamentals, they are the part that gets the job done.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Hodgeman, I like your statement but it seems like "ready fire aim". You could spend a life trying

My advice is similar to limons except becareful of some of the information you get on the net...lots of keyboard commandos out there who have a successful hunt and automatically become an internet super star... Dont get me wrong there are lots of good folks here but it can be like internet dating..lol The best wat to learn about animals it to let them teach you.. I have learned more from watching them then from a lifetime of reading on the internet.. Start by hunting with a camera.. you live in Anchorage...you can within 30 minutes be in close proximity to moose bears sheep goats.. go watch the sheep and learn how they interact,watch how they feed in the morning, get up on the hill side and watch the bears and see what they are eating see how they move ect ect... If you would like to sit down for coffee and ask some questions I will try to help you in anyway I can as it is the least I could do.. I try to help a lot of service members out when I can and have time and have a few I still want to get together with(and will) from here and as always I am thankful to those who serve so my family can sleep safe at night..

Grrrr no edit on tap talk.... Picking up where I left off....

I think the best way to start hunting is to take hunters education... The. Decide HOW you want to hunt WHAT you want to hunt... Then look up harvest statistics....

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    you could start by chasing trail-side moose around the anchorage area in tennis shoes, and also ducks at lake hood. Just you....and the ducks.

if that don't work, you got forum member 323 working on "jibber". My native name for him is: mi'nanuq, meaning: he who kills baby bears with cannon.
    ah mainer thanks bud... I feel honored... I sent you rep on that one enjoy hey limon sent you one too..

If you'd like to sit down sometime over a cup of coffee or a pint of beer, I'd be happy to talk with you about the basics and some general ideas on how to get started. I can't offer much in the way of time in the field as my fall is pretty darn full already, but I'm always looking for an excuse to talk hunting over beer.

Wow! I'm trying to figure out how a simple request for information and encouragement turned into an insult fest. That's pretty sad gentlemen.

Advice for first time hunters... Lemon and mikon especially ...

Mother alaska is a HUGE place. Having stood in your shoes three years ago it is intimidating as heck. I'm going to try to separate the issues. First of all there is the first time hunter business.

You can learn a TON from alaska hunters education.

To bring yourself up to speed for basic hunting skills.... When tarmagin and and grouse are in season... And rabbits... Practice shooting them in the head with a .22.... That could be diffacult to do with ammo issues... I would personally opt for a benjaman air rifle in .177 or .22.... Therefor making ammo less of an issue.... And more family friendly to boot. Also, if the critters are in short supply shoot at knots in trees... Fungus on a stump... Anything to practice.

In hunting small game you can be scouting your hunting area!!! Or drive out any gravel roads out In The valley.... Small game will eventually appear.

Ok now to the big picture.

1. Pick a species.... Caribou moose bear are probably the most accessible unless you have a boat... Then add deer to that equation.

1. Determine your access method.... Truck, car plane boat atv? Walking? If you choose atv/ car / truck your stuck to the road system... That narrows it down some.

Now you should have a species, and a targeted hunting area. For firstimers I would reccomend some where near home. I truly enjoy only being an hour from hunting areas.... This gives the ability to easily scout In the off season. If you get an early day off it should be easy to take off and go look. And you can hunt more. The newer you are, the more hours in the field will be very benifical.

Now you should have a species and a unit. To to the fish and game website, find out how many hunters were success full.

https://secure.wildlife.alaska.gov/i...g=harvest.main

Have fun with this part. You MAY have to drive further from home, but I personally LOVE hunts with at least a 45 % success rate. Keep on looking around for harvest ratios...... The higher the better!!!!

Now that you should have a a few hunts figured out based on satistics... Look for habitat and animal habits. Get books from the library, find out what the animal you want to kill eats. For instance moose and caribou do not often share the same habatat. Look for 3 to 5 year old old burns and clear cuts for moose that have willow growth... And when you get there Check to see that it has been mowed down regularly..... Plenty of scat and Bent/ broken willows that have been chewed. The more that have been chewed, the better. Now caribou, they like the high country. They eat lichen.

In theory you know what unit you want, and what species you will be hunting and what their. Habatat will be. Time for fun! You need to search for topography and cover that is suitable for the species you will be hunting.

Acme mapper 2.0... Itis like it was designed for digital scouting....

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=61.59382,...2CWasilla%20AK

In the bottom right you can type in "Montana creek ak" or moose mountain, ak and it may take you there. Go find your chosen hunting area. you will have to search by rivers and roads, the most typical unit boundries... it can be tough but you can do it! In the top right it will have buttons.... Pick topo for topo maps and satellite for satellite photography. THe cross hairs in the middle of the screen give GPS coordinates for use later.. To put into your gps when you get out into the field. They can also be plugged into garmin base camp and be used to measure distance. Aka just how far is this meadow from the road???

Ok... Whew it's like I'm writing a book. So you should now have a species, a hunt area and based on satalite/ Ariel photos have a good idea of where to start. Now jump on google earth street view and find a trail head near to where you want to hunt.. Just keep clicking down a road looking for pull outs for vehicles.... Just make sure the topography isn't so bad you can't get there. Or you have to cross too big of a river... Or a cliff....

Take your pellet gun, a collapsible fishing pole and get after it. Also milkon a pair of decent prism based viper brand binoculars are in order for scouting. Look meadows and open areas over for sighns of game./..

There you go. I do hope this helps!

Ps
    (I always target one like moose, but take all available hunting tags with me.... Brown and black bear and caribou.... Nothing says I couldn't get lucky!)

Quote Originally Posted by Spookum View Post
    Acme mapper 2.0... Itis like it was designed for digital scouting....

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=61.59382,...2CWasilla%20AK
    Good stuff, thanks!

Consider starting out with small game. A .22 or a shotgun and you're pretty much set. The logistics are easier too, as opportunities can be had for a relatively small investment in gasoline for day trips. Small game hunting is still hunting and requires most of the same basic skills as big game hunting--stealth, noise discipline, reading terrain, careful observation etc.

The beauty of SG hunting is it gets you in the same woods as much of the BG you might want to hunt later. Everyday in the woods is a day in school if you hunt.

Invest in some good footwear and get out there.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    My advice is similar to limons except becareful of some of the information you get on the net...lots of keyboard commandos out there who have a successful hunt and automatically become an internet super star... Dont get me wrong there are lots of good folks here but it can be like internet dating..lol The best wat to learn about animals it to let them teach you.. I have learned more from watching them then from a lifetime of reading on the internet.. Start by hunting with a camera.. you live in Anchorage...you can within 30 minutes be in close proximity to moose bears sheep goats.. go watch the sheep and learn how they interact,watch how they feed in the morning, get up on the hill side and watch the bears and see what they are eating see how they move ect ect... If you would like to sit down for coffee and ask some questions I will try to help you in anyway I can as it is the least I could do.. I try to help a lot of service members out when I can and have time and have a few I still want to get together with(and will) from here and as always I am thankful to those who serve so my family can sleep safe at night..
    good post. Was at lower post reservation in yukon......this massive indian....Amos....250 lb 6 ft plus dude shows me a picture of five bull moose loaded into his jet boat....launching off rocks in a crazy white water stream. He PUT those hunters on those moose, and did almost all the work to teach children. This same guy, has his pack horses trained so well.....he can walk across their back without them so much as flinching. Got his horse so gentle....you can shoot a high powered rifle while horseback.

Ted in whitehorse.......old seasoned guy.......still running snowy october waters well into his late 70's. You should see this guy's pictures.

Alex of Kobuk-Ambler.....old man, hunter/gatherer of the year one year. Amazing stories when you can get him to talk.

These guys aint guides buzzing around in bush plains spotting game from above for clients.

My advice......find a respected, accomplished hunter/ elder, and sit with him to hear his stories.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast