Thread: When you have the whole Sound.....

Default When you have the whole Sound.....

So i figured i would ask the forum what everyone's thoughts are on etiquette as far as bear hunting in PWS is concerned?

Let me set up the scenario of the experience my group had this weekend and you all tell me what you think....

We were out hunting in a medium size PWS bay this weekend and as most bear hunters do we were kind of just putting along the beach kind of doing laps watching the beach/hillsides and looking for bears. So in this bay there are a few smaller bays or coves, basically this is what happened to us. We were coming up to one the smaller bays and visibility was really low due to low clouds/fog. I would say we were less than a quarter mile away from the entrance of the smaller cove and this boat was running on step about a half mile off the opposite beach and this boat - as soon as it came in view (so they could see us as well) made a 90 degree turn to port and went right into the bay we were heading right for and cut us off. To me that was a dorky move to pull, kinda like if your fishing a river and not that many people are around and you see someone hook up and you move right next to them, we call that tourist style.. But really on a bear hunt you would do that to someone? come on.. if that person is a member they will know who they are i'm not gonna describe boats or give boat names but come on now you were clearly heading for the end of the bay and you saw us and turned to cut us off... If i could talk to you face to face i would tell you that your a Dork and that was a dorky move you pulled. There are bear every were out there and we were clearly heading in a path and for some reason you decided that you HAD to get in front of us.. Whatever dude

Side note we saw plenty of bears but passed on all, we were pretty picky this time looking for that special bear. We had fun none the less but i mean come on who does that?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Vessel View Post
    So i figured i would ask the forum what everyone's thoughts are on etiquette as far as bear hunting in PWS is concerned?

Let me set up the scenario of the experience my group had this weekend and you all tell me what you think....

We were out hunting in a medium size PWS bay this weekend and as most bear hunters do we were kind of just putting along the beach kind of doing laps watching the beach/hillsides and looking for bears. So in this bay there are a few smaller bays or coves, basically this is what happened to us. We were coming up to one the smaller bays and visibility was really low due to low clouds/fog. I would say we were less than a quarter mile away from the entrance of the smaller cove and this boat was running on step about a half mile off the opposite beach and this boat - as soon as it came in view (so they could see us as well) made a 90 degree turn to port and went right into the bay we were heading right for and cut us off. To me that was a dorky move to pull, kinda like if your fishing a river and not that many people are around and you see someone hook up and you move right next to them, we call that tourist style.. But really on a bear hunt you would do that to someone? come on.. if that person is a member they will know who they are i'm not gonna describe boats or give boat names but come on now you were clearly heading for the end of the bay and you saw us and turned to cut us off... If i could talk to you face to face i would tell you that your a Dork and that was a dorky move you pulled. There are bear every were out there and we were clearly heading in a path and for some reason you decided that you HAD to get in front of us.. Whatever dude

Side note we saw plenty of bears but passed on all, we were pretty picky this time looking for that special bear. We had fun none the less but i mean come on who does that?
    I wasn't there of course, but it sounds like you were both "heading for" the cove, but they got there first. Since I wasn't there, it's pretty easy for me to say that I'd just blow it off and cruise to the next cove.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I wasn't there of course, but it sounds like you were both "heading for" the cove, but they got there first. Since I wasn't there, it's pretty easy for me to say that I'd just blow it off and cruise to the next cove.
    I'd like to see OP put up the name of the cove he was in. It's true that it was a misunderstanding. Sort of like post about Memorial Day Weekend with the guy passing boats in line to pull out in order to get to his spot on the slip.

It's true that there are dorks out there, but are you sure they even saw you and someone didn't glass the bear from where they were?

I always, always try to give deference to the other boat if I feel like I am in a situation like this. We were headed to a beach for a stalk when we saw a skiff pull up in front of us. They were coming from the back of the cove and we had not even noticed them. We pulled up to talk, with full intention of it being their bear. They were kind, hadn't seen the bear yet and wished us good luck. Wish all guys were like that.

There are so many possibilities in this scenario that I couldn't even begin to weigh in on it without hearing the other parties side.

I can tell you that I tend to like having a bay all to myself and if I pull in and see another boat I normally turn around and go look for another spot. Then again once upon a time I pulled into one of my favorite spots and a guy was anchored up with kayaks on the roof and I pulled right on in. He promptly pulled anchor and left never to be seen again. As soon as he pulled anchor I realized what I had done and felt like crap. We all have our heads up our buts from time to time.

Depends on the size of the bay and how far you've travelled to get there. I motored over 100 miles to a remote bay this spring. When I pulled in another boat was anchored. I promptly pulled in and introduced myself and my intentions. Turns out they were Grouse hunting and we Bear hunting. We had a pleasant interaction. They came into our ground camp the next day and showed us a nice crabbing spot. Should they had been bear hunting we would have coordinated with them having choice of locations. Alaskan "Bays" can be very big and there is room enough for more than one user if your considerate. Getting all competitive and agressive doesn't help anybody. Say you have engine trouble or an injury? That "other boat" Just may be your lifeline. We're out there on the water and at risk. Be considerate first and formost.

In the event that I'm in a small bay. Move on and preserve the wilderness experience for others.

Being a good mariner comes before being a good hunter when on the water.

Have to agree that it would be nice to hear the other side of the story. The other boat might have thought the same about you....he was making his way to his favorite cove and felt you were cutting him off....who knows?!
    Maybe he thought you were looking for shrimping spots, trolling, or just sightseeing??

I also prefer to have a bay to myself but that just isn't the scenario anymore. We have been sitting in a cove waiting for bears to come out in the evening enjoying dinner on the deck when others cruise in between us and the beach obviously looking for bears too. They don't know our intentions and it appears we are just enjoying the afternoon on deck when reality is we are hunting as well.
    It can be frustrating at times but none of us own the area. That said, a little respect goes a long ways towards your fellow hunters.
    Maybe a quick call on the radio would clear things up, I dunno.....
    I think we are all out there to have a good time though and no one intentionally heads out thinking I'm gonna piss off another boat on purpose this weekend, just for something to do.
    BK

I agree that we could have made contact with them and coordinated our efforts or found out each others intentions, clearly this boat was heading in a all together different direction and when they spotted us altered their course 90 degrees and cut in front of our direction of travel.. I had no problem motoring on past the cove that is not the point i'm trying to make, what i think is silly is that because we were heading in that direction this person made the decision to make a 90 degree turn from across the bay and get in front of us when really boat traffic was not that bad and there were plenty of bears to be had. We did see him "motoring" along the beach the same as we were all he did was get in front of our direction of travel when it was obvious (we had 4 heads sticking out with binos glassing) that we were also bear hunting. He did not attempt to go the beach after a bear, he clearly was cutting us off and in my eyes with the size of the sound, that is a silly thing to do. It is correct that no one "owns" any area and i will all ways give other boats plenty of room, especially since that area is so rich with game there is no need to get in other peoples way or distub someone else. I had my brother-in law on board and they are brand new to bear hunting and even they knew that what the other boat did was a silly thing given the remoteness of the area. This is just my opinion and i appreciate the other folks feed back.

074.jpg

Made it happen, put two of the nicest guys on bears last weekend. No more issues with other boat traffic. Ended up with sunburns felt like Hawaii not PWS!

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Vessel View Post
    clearly this boat was heading in a all together different direction and when they spotted us altered their course 90 degrees and cut in front of our direction of travel.
    Sorry guy, there is no way that you could know this for sure. How do you know that the guy always had the intention on going there from the get go, and at the last moment realized that he was about to pass it by...???

BTW......congrats on the nice bears...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I'd say whoever had boots on the ground first had the right of way. Cruising the shoreline (and I've done it many times myself) is just glorified road hunting. Everybody is covering as much ground as possible and paths are bound to be crossed and you're gonna get beat to a "spot" once in a while. It's the nature of the game. But if you're anchored up and in the brush hunting and somebody pulls in beside you, throws the hook and comes in on top of you....... wellllll that is poor form and reason to complain.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Its funny you say whoever had boots on the ground first. This past weekend we to where hunting( in Jonah bay) when someone came in there and shot a bear that we had been watching. Long story short we had anchored up in front of the bay, couldn't miss the boat and had been hunting this particular bay all weekend. We where already on shore and had spotted a bear across the way. By the time we decided that it was a shooter another boat pulls in there and shoots the bear. It was unfortunate for us as we didn't get that one. I don't let that kind of stuff bother me, I just packed up camp and left and glassed somewhere else. I don't even think that the people in the other boat knew we where there. We watched them the whole time, from pull in to the time they shot it and brought it out. Needless to say its going to happen weather your hunting bears, moose or anything else.