Thread: no more resizing 30-30 win to 375:

Default no more resizing 30-30 win to 375:

A tall/thin black bear was loitering around the house the other day, disregarding the barks and growling of my pyrenees/malamute pup. When he got about 20 yds down wind of my meat freezers, I decided to grab the .375 Win. I put one round into the ground about 2 ft to the left of him, didn't want to shoot the hungry fella. Zero to 35 mph ensued.......he was a quick learner.

After unloading the second round, to put back into the tubular magazine.......the bullet had been pushed another 1/4" into the case until it was loose enough to move with fingers.. These 6 cartridges have been loaded/unload numerous times without the cartridge overall length ever changing. Apparently, this wear n tear, the tubular spring tension, and the recoil finally worked a bullet loose. My best guess.....the resized 30-30 cases are too thin in the neck area, and lack the tension to hold a 255 grain bullet through recoil, spring tension, and constant cycling when unloading cartridges.

Luckily, the rest of my handloads sit in .375 brass.

Makes me wonder if it had been a while since those cases had been annealed. Not in that particular transition (30-375), but over the years I've seen similar issues with hardened brass in 375 H&H, 45-70, 30-40 Krag and 300 H&H.

Are you using bullets with a cannelure and doing a roll crimp?

Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    Are you using bullets with a cannelure and doing a roll crimp?
    Yes, I'm using 255 grain barnes and a lee factory crimp die, crimping directly into the cannelure.

Hey Mainer, It's been a while....

I have been shooting my 375 a whole lot the last couple of years. I have found that the 30-30 brass work great on cast bullets as long as your shooting light loads. I'm guessing that since you were willing to fend off a bear then your loads are a bunch stouter than mine. I'm thinking that the kinetic energy from recoil is making the bullet pull the crimp out of the case.....kind like a beller. I have pulled a few bullets from 375 brass made from 30-30 brass with a kinetic bullet puller and even though they were heavily crimped it didn't take much of a whack on the anvil with that kinetic bullet puller to pop the bullet out. They are thin walled for sure!

My loads use a 265 grain bullet and 10 grains of Blue Dot. I think they are around 1200fps...certainly not bear medicine.

ekc.......nice to see you posting here! Don't think I've seen you posting here for a long time.

Yeah....dandy plinkin brass for sure, but I'll probably stick with the 375 brass, it's very thick stuff. Heck, i've even had 30-30 jump crimp, and push a bullet into the case under cyling, recoil, ect.

Some 375 shooters talk about using starline 38-55 brass because they can fit more powder in the case, well I don't think the 375 win even needs the extra push. The killing power out to 150 yds has been plenty sufficient as you probably recall.

I suspect itís not that the 30-30 brass is too thin to hold the bullet but a byproduct of 375 dies designed for cases with a thicker wall. Iíd bet if you were to get another expander and reduce its diameter so it doesnít open the neck back up as far then bell them just enough to start the bullet as they are pressed in things would stay put a lot better.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona