Thread: Good article Bushrat..

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Good article Bushrat..

Though Mark and I don't see Eye To eye on a whole lot of issues... i fully agree with this one.. Though the final comment from Holy Cross is the Lower Yukon attitude you'll have to modify. Interestingly enough, the Middle river AC's all got together and asked the BOF for a 3 year ban on ALL fishing of kings ... never did hear where that letter went to..

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...-our-own-peril

at City of Holy Cross,This article is nothing more then propaganda, nice try Fish and Game.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I agree, great article Mark!
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Thanks guys, this is an issue I've been wanting to write about for some time now. I hope that slowly, others can be convinced of the necessity to protect king stocks when runs are weak, so that we can all fish and carry on that tradition down the line.

Keep up the fight. Nicely written.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Bushrat - Well said. Nicely done.

The only point you might have added is that if everyone pitches in to do their part for fish conservation, the Chinook populations may rebound fairly quickly. Pacific salmon are famous for coming back quickly as long as the habitat is available and in good shape. The reverse is also true. That is, if conservation is not everyone's highest priority, these shortages may remain for alot longer than is necessary. So that's the choice for the folks who live in the Great Land.

Lastly, on a personal note, it's encouraging to be able to communicate with someone who lives in very rural Alaska, lives a strictly subsistence lifestyle, and who provides a perspective that I don't normally get here in my office in downtown Portland, Oregon.....

Keep up the great work!

Thumbs up

. . “subsistence” and “conservation,” “religion” and “conservation,” and “culture” and “conservation,” must all be recognized as two sides of the same coin.

Well noted, Mark. Truth be told, subsistence, religion, culture, and conservation are not so much opposite sides of a coin as they are the warp and weft of a seamless garment.

In the broadest sense, we can't mess with one thread without unravelling the whole. These are the questions facing mankind in the decades and centuries ahead. We are all subsistence users.

Great op. piece Mark. I agree completely.