Thread: Post your repower stories and pictures here...

Default Post your repower stories and pictures here...

Gas to diesel, i/o to outboard, two-stroke to four-stroke (or vice-versa), etc.

10 years ago my inlaws repowered their 31' Uniflite from Chrysler 440s to Mercruiser 350s (non-efi). Today we have 900 hours on the meters and the engines still look new. Performance didn't suffer and the boat sits a few inches higher in the stern. The bill was $25k. Fuel economy remains around 1 mile per gallon no matter what we are doing. She tops out at 31 knots, we cruise around 20 knots.

Currently I am in the middle or repowering my 23' Uniflite. I have removed the old OMC i/o and sent it to the dump. I may loose faith and take the remaining hull and trailer to the dump as well.

Sobie2

I've rebuilt 3 v8 inboards over the years, two Chevy 350's and a Ford 302, each with 1500+ hours on them. I did all the work myself except for the heads which I had done in a machine shop. Despite oil pressure dropping pretty low after a hard run, the lower end only needed new bearings in each case, cranks, cylinders and cams were well within spec for standard size so no new major stuff needed. New oil pump & timing chain, rings, bearings, etc., completed for a little over $1k each time. Good service after the rebuilds, one boat I saw 15 years later with the same engine. Generally, I found external rust to be more of a problem than internal wear on the lower ends with that amount of time on the engines. A valve job may be all you need for another 1000 hours on these engines.

When they changed to 4 stroke only in July I repowered my 16 foot smokercraft from a Johnson 28 to a Yamaha 25!!! It ran quiet!
    It's better to burn out than fade away.....

Currently upgrading my 18 foot fishing boat from a 90hp 2 stroke to a 115hp 4 stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Currently upgrading my 18 foot fishing boat from a 90hp 2 stroke to a 115hp 4 stroke.
    Sent ya a PM.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Past 30 years went from a Johnson 55 tiller to Evinrude 70, Evinrude 90, Suzuki 100. Then in '92 went to Yamaha 115 2 stroke for 8 years then switched to 4 stroke in 2000! Had 3 of them over many years until 2010 when I finally bought my favorite of all, the Yamaha F150! Best move ever, better fuel economy, plenty of POWER and speed. My honey has an F90 in her 20' skiff and I have an F60 in my folks lil 16'er...
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!