Thread: Who has repowered (or has) an Etec 150 HP or bigger?

Default Who has repowered (or has) an Etec 150 HP or bigger?

How do you like your motor? I really love their new Etec 15 HO kicker for my 23' Uniflite (heavy fiberglass), and I am in the middle of repowering but unsure of which way to go. I don't really like mismatching outboards. When you spend over $20k on a project it better look professional. Here in AK the Etecs seem to have lost favor for various reasons. Yamaha and Honda seem to be the reliability kings.

Sobie2

Don't believe their hype! Sounds like you watched their biased video, more problems then they are worth! Several Etech outboards were bought and broke down a year later with no help getting warrantied. Get a Yamaha or Mercury for deadnuts reliability that you won't regret buying, change oil every 100 hours, run a Racor fuel filter or 2 and it will last well over 1000hours...
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Agreed. First, let me say I know a bunch of guys with Etec that love them. That said, there's a reason you see more Yamaha and Honda than anything else in any saltwater marina from Florida to Alaska. A buddy I fished with regularly has had nothing but reliability problems with his Etec...yet he still loves it to a fault. Another guy I just know and haven't fished with went through three in two years. I think they're just like the old Fichts...some ran great and are still running today, but many, many, many weren't worth their weight in scrap. I'm just not an Evinrude fan. Also be advised, a lot of the ones that blow were screamers from thes factory...which is part of why they popped. Well BRP has toned things down a bit for longeivity and is quietly replacing them with a motor that is still a 250 or whatever...but whereas before a 250 was actually 280 or so, it's now closer to 260, so you'll get new motor, but lose performance over the "same" motor you're replacing. And that's from a professional I know who ran Rudes up until last year and now runs an SHO. That's unoffical info from a buddy whom I do trust, but take it for what it's worth...I run a Yammie and I know more guys that love Yammies/Merc/Honda than do love Erudes.