Thread: converting a fridge into a smoker

Default converting a fridge into a smoker

Can anyone give me some knowledge of how to make a smoker from on old fridge. Have heard of this but folks have mentioned finding on old ceramic lined one. Will the plastic ones do?
    Do you only utilize the fridge section only or do you cut a hole into the freezer top. What the best way to install the electric hot plate?

What kind of smoker are you wanting to make? You could probably be fine if you are wanting to do cold smoking but I would not recommend one for hot smoking of meats like cooking ribs or brisket. Instead I would suggest looking up an Ugly Drum Smoker. They are extremely efficient and fairly cheap to make. They run great for long periods of time to smoke meats like brisket. I can also cold smoke on them by putting a soldering iron in a tin can with wood chips in the bottom. It never gets too hot and I can do salmon or cheeses (even cream cheese) without issue.

Mainly for fish. I was wondering how it would hold up to temps, as most are plastic lined now days.

Find an old fridge from the '60s and you are good to go. People say that the plastic lined reefers lend a taste to the fish which is unpleasant and possibly unhealthy.