Thread: Suggestions for a rifle barrel

Default Suggestions for a rifle barrel

I have a Remington 700 Classic in 30-06 I am thinking about upgrading. I have a lightweight Manners stock I am going to use and I have a Timney trigger on it.

What I would like is suggestions on a first class barrel to screw into the assembly. Something that will provide outstanding accuracy but not break the bank either. Hopefully your experience will prevent me from making a mistake. There are so many barrel manufacturers out there, old names and new, with so many claims that this choice is very confusing.

I plan to use stainless, maybe fluted, and in the same barrel size that came with the Classic rifle. More than likely I will stay with the factory length of 22 inches, possibly go to 24 inches.

Thanks for any suggestions about what you have used successfully or unsuccessfully.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I have a Remington 700 308 TWS which has a custom Douglas air gauged 5R heavy bbl - fluted 24" barrel for my counter sniper rifle.
    Hell of an accurate setup using the original Remington TWS free floated stock & trigger.
    180 gr Federal BTHP Match Gold ammo is the best!

Check your inbox.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Obermeyer, Cut Rifle Barrel, Brux, Bartlein, Kreiger, Hart, Shilen...
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Good suggestions thus far...I'd add a Lilja barrel to the list (they ain't cheap, but they are excellent). I have a 700, that I rebarreled with a Lilja, and added a Timney trigger, H&S stock, titanium firing pin, alloy base and rings, etc. It truly is a tack driver in 257 WBY.

I'll add Broughton to the list. Recently ordered 3 of the 5C's for projects.

You can't go wrong with any of the reputable barrel makers unless you might get the rare bad barrel. And, they all run about the same price for the about the same quality. Roughly $350 for the barrel and another $275 give or take for quality smithing of crown, threading and fitting.

If you're gonna spend the $$$ for a good barrel you should probably spend the $$$ to true the action at least and maybe some other upgrades. I basically had all the parts of my R700 replaced except the receiver body itself. New oversized (.750) PTG one piece bolt with Sako style extractor, and PTG speed lock firing pin assembly w/shroud. Also replaced the recoil lug with a pinned HD lug and Jewel trigger.

There are so many barrel manufacturers out there, old names and new, with so many claims that this choice is very confusing
    The vast majority of them are very close in quality and results. There are a couple that I would shy away from but I will keep that to myself as it would be based mostly on second or third hand info.

The makers on the top of my list are Broughton, Bartlein, Benchmark, Hart, and Kreiger. Barrel makers not on my list may be just as good or better, and if they are better, the difference is probably nothing you or I will ever notice. There are a couple I have reservations about but nothing I would mention here due to lack of first hand experience.

Stainless is a good choice for corrosion resistance but it's not corrosion proof. I used to be a fluted barrel fan but have come back around to the traditional non-fluted barrel for added stiffness of same contour. Not much piratical benefit to flutes but if you like them for looks, well... it's your rifle and you have to live with it, so do it up the way it makes you happy.

I like my barrels 26" or longer. I could live with a 24" if I had to but would never order one.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    What I would like is suggestions on a first class barrel to screw into the assembly. Something that will provide outstanding accuracy but not break the bank either.
    You can add Schneider to the list as well. I chose a Schneider barrel based on the exact criteria you set out. I got a match quality barrel at a very reasonable price and I didn't have to wait long for it to ship. Has proven to be a top shelf barrel.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

This is one of the best values going:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod25197.aspx

Short chambered. You can rent a reamer and go-no/go gauges and chamber it yourself. Only difficult thing is it isn't crowned. All the other fabulous barrels mentioned will have to be threaded, chambered and crowned. Get one of these Shilens and use the $$ difference to have a local gunsmith flute it and crown it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    This is one of the best values going:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod25197.aspx

Short chambered. You can rent a reamer and go-no/go gauges and chamber it yourself. Only difficult thing is it isn't crowned. All the other fabulous barrels mentioned will have to be threaded, chambered and crowned. Get one of these Shilens and use the $$ difference to have a local gunsmith flute it and crown it for you.
    Looks like a good deal.

I want to thank everyone that replied. I got some good tips and suggestions.

For better or worse my gunsmith ordered a Douglas air gauged stainless barrel that will come with 5R rifling. The contour is the same as what comes on the Remington Classic rifles with a 1 - 10 twist and a length of 22 inches.
    NRA Life Member since 1974