Thread: Anybody know the factory torque for Remington 700 XCR II .338 WM

Default Anybody know the factory torque for Remington 700 XCR II .338 WM

Does anybody know the factory torque for the screws that hold the action on the stock for a Remington Model 700 XCR II in .338 WM. I had a buddy adjust the trigger on my rifle, and when I finally got to shoot it I found it just don't shoot worth a darn. To eliminate all the possibilities on why it won't group I want to make sure the screws are torqued correctly, but can't find the torque settings online anywhere. Thanks
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Dont know factory specs but most serious shooter set them at 65 inch pounds. Most importantly is that you use the same settings every time. Also important is that you have the recoil lug against the stock. Easiest way to do it is tighten the front screw with the butt on the floor, barrel up, and pushing down on the barrel towards the floor.

I know for a fact that the gun was not tightened that way, and I think it's set a 40 right now. Thanks, I'll get it redone tomorrow morning.

The chart that comes with the Fat Wrench says that the 65 inch pound setting is for all stocks that have bedding pillars. For stocks, wood, fiberglass, or synthetic, without bedding pillars they recommend 40 inch pounds.

As flimsy as those XCR stocks are, you might need to go a touch lighter than the 40 inch pounds.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    The chart that comes with the Fat Wrench says that the 65 inch pound setting is for all stocks that have bedding pillars. For stocks, wood, fiberglass, or synthetic, without bedding pillars they recommend 40 inch pounds.

As flimsy as those XCR stocks are, you might need to go a touch lighter than the 40 inch pounds.

On my 700 i never tightened them more than 40 in/lbs even with the McMillan I have on now and no issues. Never found the need to tighten it more then that. On the Kimber I tightened it up to 65 in/lbs just experimenting after I bedded it. I found anything past 50 in/lbs flexed the receiver slightly. Of course the kimber doesn't have as stiff of an action as the 700 and partially due to the rear glass being about .001 in too shallow since I tightened it down a little too tight when I bedded it. Surprising that little difference made such a big difference on how smooth the bolt traveled back and forth. I ended up putting a little epoxy in back and left it at 40 in/lbs and no issues.

I ended up getting it torqued to 40 pounds, and it seems to have solved my accuracy issues. It was set at 65 and that was way too tight. It really likes 250gr bullets, and Nosler Accubonds with H4831 powder too.

Just for the fun of it, hold your rifle vertically by the barrel and knock on the stock fairly hard with your knuckle. It should vibrate like a tuning fork. If it doesn't then something is out of harmonics. My first action would be to check for binding in the barrel channel and check to see that the magazine is not binding. If that is all fine you probably need to rebed it. just a thought.

If anything on the rifle or action distorts above 40 in/lbs then there is something imperfect in the bedding system - If it were "true" then the only thing to "distort" would be the threads of the action screws - Kimber torques to 65 in/lbs because, for all the things that are wrong with a Kimber rifle, their bedding is not one of them normally

It shoots perfectly fine now. It's putting 225 gr TTSX through the same hole at 100 yards, and darn near the same hole with a 250 gr grand slam. It's also shooting 1/2 inch groups with 225 gr accubonds. I'm testing out 250 gr Partitions sometime this weekend, and going to start seeing how it does at 200 and 300 yards. I do think I'm going to put a different stock on it eventually, but the rifle seems to be fine with the lower torque setting. The pic on the left is the grand slams, and the one on the right is the TTSX, the flyer in the group was the first shot after swabbing the bore, that is a 5 shot group too.

IMG_0482.jpgIMG_0490.jpg

I certainly would not touch ANYTHING at this point ! awesome ......