Thread: Cedros CSD 12 S Stardrag Reel by Okuma

Default Cedros CSD 12 S Stardrag Reel by Okuma

Few weeks back I purchased a couple of Okuma Star Drag Reels model CSD 12S along with matching Okuma jigging rods Model CJC 561 XXH 5'6" rods. The rods are really stiff and have good action. The reels seemed to work OK but customers made comments that they where hard to reel in. One of the reels the crank handle broke into two pieces. The metal looks like pot aluminum. I will post later in the season on how well the rods work out. The only other reels that I had on the boat where 3/0 Avet lever drags and there is no comparison between the smaller Okuma Star Drags. The Avets are smoother and easier to reel in. The down side is the Avets are heavier.

Try an Avet JX, it is an outstanding jigging reel, and light.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

The 6.2:1 gears would be the problem with the heavy cranking feeling. 4.3-5 max for those that aren't in good shape or are novices. I suspect the one that broke was leveraged awkwardly due to the heavy pressure while cranking.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    The 6.2:1 gears would be the problem with the heavy cranking feeling. 4.3-5 max for those that aren't in good shape or are novices. I suspect the one that broke was leveraged awkwardly due to the heavy pressure while cranking.
    Agree with AK2AZ. That 6.2:1 needs to be used by someone that has the strength and know how to lift the fish with rod and then crank down. Can't be used as a wench to bring up the fish.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

The individual that broke the handle is 6' 3" 225 pounds in great shape and an experience fisherman. You do not use cheap metal handles on pressure points. All my Avets, Accurates, Shimano's, and Pens use steel in the crank handles. Okuma pot aluminum and it broke right where the extra hole is in the crank handle.

Well it sounds like pretty substantial design flaw.

Now we've determined this model if reel isn't cut out for jigging halibut, did the angler land the fish?!??

AKArcher

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    Agree with AK2AZ. That 6.2:1 needs to be used by someone that has the strength and know how to lift the fish with rod and then crank down. Can't be used as a wench to bring up the fish.
    As a wench? I'm picturing a "salt-seasoned" young lady with an eye patch saying "Argh matie, ye reel handle broke!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    As a wench? I'm picturing a "salt-seasoned" young lady with an eye patch saying "Argh matie, ye reel handle broke!!"
    Funny I had just called my roommate a wench in a text message. . Gotta love auto correct!!!

AKArcher

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    Funny I had just called my roommate a wench in a text message. . Gotta love auto correct!!!
    That's acceptable...providing she's enroute to the Renaissance Fair!!!

Earlier the guy landed a 98 pound Halibut and when the crank handle broke he had a 30 pound Halibut on the line. We just pulled it in by hand. I talked with Okuma earlier today and they are sending me a replacement handle I hope it is made of something other than pot/cast aluminum.

There is nothing wrong with aluminum so long as it is properly designed. All of my Avet reels have aluminum handles and I believe all Avet handles are aluminum. I believe shimano are brass, though I've replaced some of them with aftermarket aluminum handles with no problems.

I doubt the crank was made from cast aluminum, more than likely stamped from a sheet of aluminum but perhaps they should use a thicker stock.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I got the replacement crank today and will give it another try. The down side is one of my Okuma Jigging Poles broke into about six inches from the top guide. The angler had hooked a skate and was just pulling it in. Okuma had me cut the pole into and send them a check for $19.95 to handle the shipping. Rod was a Cedros speed jig C-J-C 561XXH 5'6" 80-200 lbs Braided Line Lure Weight 500-700 GOkuma Rod 002.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    I got the replacement crank today and will give it another try. The down side is one of my Okuma Jigging Poles broke into about six inches from the top guide. The angler had hooked a skate and was just pulling it in. Okuma had me cut the pole into and send them a check for $19.95 to handle the shipping. Rod was a Cedros speed jig C-J-C 561XXH 5'6" 80-200 lbs Braided Line Lure Weight 500-700 GOkuma Rod 002.jpg
    I've had the same rod break in the same exact spot. I made the move to Seeeker.

AKArcher