Thread: How much fuel to carry for a week out on PWS

Default How much fuel to carry for a week out on PWS

We will have a boat by next spring, still trying to work out a deal for a 27' Glacier Craft here locally, if that doesn't work out we will probably have 29' Wooldridge made. Plan on running Yamaha 225s. I know there are a lot of variables so I'm just looking for "somewhat realistic" numbers from those who have spent a week just exploring, makeing your way to Valdez and back to Whittier. I'm thinking I wouldn't want less than 200 gallons? As the GC is not finished I can have an extra tank added and the Wolly would be incorporated into the build. Please share your journeys, thanks!
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

In have 250 gallons ( two 125 gallon tanks, advertised as 135s ). I wouldn't want any less. If I was going to the south end for a week I would need to take extra fuel depending on how much running I wanted to do. A trip to the south end of Mont. and back takes about 150 gallons. If I stay two days and do some goofing around Green it's about 180 gallons.

The Wooly doesn't burn near as much but I would still do at least 250. You don't have to run it full.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

We spent a week in our Wooly running around chasing game and fishing last week and consumed roughly 100 gallons. This includes fishing in the gulf, LaTouche area, Bainbridge, Ellrington, etc....
    27 Pilot house with twin 115 Yamaha's, 3 people and lots of extra stuff. Our tank holds 135 gallons.
    BK

I was out last weekend Fri-Mon in the Bainbridge area hunting and fishing as well. I have a 28' Raider (twin Yamaha 150's) with a 160 gallon tank, and I took an extra 60 gallons of gas along. We had 4 people and gear and I burned 130 gallons over the 4 days. I like to err on the side of caution and don't wont to be limited on the amount of running around I do while I'm out.

You need to look at the fuel burn of your engines at cruise speed, and then figure out how many hours of opperation you'd have with that size of tank. If/when I ever build my next boat, it'll have large enough tanks to run 9-10 hours at cruise, with a 3hr reserve. So assuming a pair of 225's burns 20 gph @ cruise you'd want 230-250 gal for such use.

While a bit more money and plumbing, if you see your sourceful making a fair number of day or overnight trips, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go with 2 main tanks sized for ~7-8 hours of cruising to keep the sloshing to a minimum and have a third extended range tank.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Stanly,

For the number of times that you'll spend a whole week on the Sound I'd recommend carrying a gravity-flow pillow tank on top of the cuddy. A fifty gallon pillow tank would give you an awful lot of extra running range and preserve your onboard space. When it is empty you can roll it up and store it. When you're done using the tank you can even resell it--try that with an extra tank welded into you boat...
    If you plan upon fishing for a whole week then you are going to have the complication of where to keep all of those fish, how to seal and freeze them, fuel for a hot shower, enough GOOD food, and so on. If it is just the piddling around, hiking, hunting, occasional shrimping/fishing, and hanging on the hook then the estimates of 200-250 gallons should be spot on...buckle up, however: It's gonna hurt at the pump, brother!