Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite range of magnification in a Scope?

Default What is your favorite range of magnification in a Scope?

Hey there folks, I wanted to see what magnification and scope sizes others prefer and why. Not so much the brand, just the specs you prefer.

Me,
    No common 3-9x40mm scope will do. It's a toss-up between a 1-4 power straight tube, or a 2-7x32. Both are compact, light, and offer excellent field of view on the lower power settings, while providing plenty of magnification for longer shots on the upper end.

Best of both wolds would be a 1-6 or 1-7 power scope. Wish they made one of those!

My next scope will be a 1.5-6.

I have always liked the higher powers, 4to12,6 to 18, I even shot a 36 power in competition. I have some 3 to 9, a fixed 6, but prefer the higher powers as I get older.

Been up and down the scale, but it's boiled down to 1.5 x 5 for my general use.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Best of both wolds would be a 1-6 or 1-7 power scope. Wish they made one of those!
    Bushnell 6500 1.25-8 x32mm: http://www.bushnell.com/hunting/rifle-scopes/elite-6500

It's what I used:

I like the 1.5 fixed and 4 fixed when a scope is used. The 4X makes a hundred yards easy.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Bushnell 6500 1.25-8 x32mm: http://www.bushnell.com/hunting/rifle-scopes/elite-6500

It's what I used:

well I think I found my next scope. Quite hard to beat the versatility of that range of power. Never knew any scope manufacturer made such a scope. thanks for posting!

I've used a lot of scopes in the 1.5x5, 1.75x6, 2x7, 3x9/3.5x10, 4x12, 6x18, 6x24 models and can't find any good reason to stray from the 3x9 (or thereabouts) scopes for a variable power big game scope. I must admit that I'm slowly but surely becoming an absolute devotee of 6x42 for big game--just can't find anything it won't do on big game animals from ranges of a few feet to further than most will ever consider shooting.........

FX-III 6x42 on my .358 Norma.....

M8 6x42 on a 25/06

Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

2.5x8 or 3x9 seems to be what is on all my rifles.

well I think I found my next scope. Quite hard to beat the versatility of that range of power. Never knew any scope manufacturer made such a scope. thanks for posting!
    Yeah, I kind of thought it was too good to be true when they first came out, but I think they're pretty great and, so far, bomb-proof for me.

I took this guy out at 100 yds with it set on roughly 3.5-power:

My personal belief is that they're just as reliable and strong as a fix-power scope for all intents and purposes in 2013 and, if I had seen a wolf or something out at 300 yds I wanted to shoot, I could have twisted it up to 8-power in about a half-second. If I had not had a half second, I could have left it at whatever power it was on. Win-win. And I personally like, when hunting things with claws and big teeth, to be able to keep it on low, low power much of the time where I easily can focus through the scope with both eyes open.

I have their 2.5-16 x 50mm on my .340 Wby (which also is pretty versatile):

I may use that on my next AK hunt in Fall 2014.

And I have their 2.5-16 x 42mm on my newish 7mm Wby Ultralight (not pictured).

I even have a 2.5-16 x 50mm on my anti-tank rifle:

My preference is a 6x42...kinda just right for most of my hunting. I also like a fixed 4 but have gravitated to the 6x for nearly everything.

I do have one rifle equipped with a 3x9....shot at 6x most all of the time.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

2-7x hands down for general hunting use. Carried at 2x 90% or more of the time.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Hey there folks, I wanted to see what magnification and scope sizes others prefer and why. Not so much the brand, just the specs you prefer.

Me,
    No common 3-9x40mm scope will do. It's a toss-up between a 1-4 power straight tube, or a 2-7x32. Both are compact, light, and offer excellent field of view on the lower power settings, while providing plenty of magnification for longer shots on the upper end.

My next scope will be a 1.5-6.
    I have 1 gun which wears a 1.5-6x, but all the rest have compact fixed 4x scopes with 4A reticles.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

2-7 I have on a few rifles and like its power range and scope size a lot. But also like the 2.5-16 I have on my 338....pretty versatile as well.

Of my collection there are five 2-7x32, a pair of Zeiss 2.5-8x32, a swaro 3-9x36 and couple 3-9x40's. I definitely tend to gravitate to the "tweener" scopes with some variation of 2 on the low end to 7 or 8 on the high side with 32-36mm objectives.

3x9x40 on most rifles, and like the 2x7x32 on heavy recoil (.338WM). The eye relief of the 2x7 makes it so I don't have to duck everytime I pull the trigger.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

used Leupold 6x42's for years and made all sorts of long and close shots, figured it made sense to have the most rugged scope then realized the new variables are just as reliable (good ones anyway) and began using 3.5x10 or 2.5x8's - This past winter I switched out for 4.5x14x40mm for a gain of 1oz. and I am not looking back (I use the 4.5 end and the 14x end, nothing in between) I just acquired a 3 x 15 x 42 Minox to test out for the summer, awfully nice scope so we'll see how it holds up to real world use

Iím a 3x9 guy, shoot at 3 or 4 power or the wobbling about drives me nutz and I donít brake good shots. But since I hate bynos I need the 9 sometimes to be sure I ainít putting imaginary legal horns on somebodyís pet donkey.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

3-9X40 with a Fine Duplex Reticle. 95% of the time, I'm on 4 power and never shoot past 7.

Well, so far I have shot just about everything", cept'n a moose, first with my archery equipment and didn't need a scope! Then I got citified I reckon and couldn't sneak up like I used too and started shoot'n rifles. Most of my scopes are 2x7x33's and they do all I need. However, there is a good number of 3x9x40 and 3.5x 10x40's mounted up as well in the safe. I think it depends a lot on what you hunt. Go out west or up high hunting goats and sheep and I like the higher power stuff. My rule is pretty simple: if I put the scope on it and think maybe I can hit it then I don't shoot, gotta be yes, I can hit it , and pretty much exactly where I intend to. I like low mounted scopes and sometimes 40's are just too big...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I guess it depends on the type of hunting and county you hunt. I've used 2-7, 3-9, 2.5-10, 3.5-15, 5.5-22 and 6-24.

I know this isn't a brand name thread, but quality of optics play a big part IMO. My 6-24 is a Tasco (that came with a rifle I bought) and most of my other scopes have better clarity.

My 3.5-15 and 5.5-22 are NF NXS's and have excellent clarity. When I bought the 5.5-22 I agonized over whether I should get the 3.5-15 instead. Since getting the 3.5-15, I definitely like the 5.5-22 better... reason being the detail. I spend the majority of my time shooting at targets developing and comparing various loads and the high end power and QUALITY on the 22x is really nice. I can split a 1" target center @ 300 yds with my cross hairs and make out .308 bullet holes @ 400 yds. I'm sure the NF BR models with upper powers of 32x and 42x would be much better for target shooting but the lower powers are just too high for my type of hunting which is mostly open county but I still need a little more field of view to acquire my game target in a hunting situation.

So, between the 3.5 and 5.5 lower powers, there is not a significant difference for my type of hunting and the advantage of the higher power for precision load development is very useful.

A cow elk taken with my 300 WSN wearing a 5.5-22x NXS at about 200 yds

"You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast