Thread: scarpa wrangells...

Default scarpa wrangells...

been wearing meindls for about nine years now. i've worn the denalis the most, but the alaska hunters and canada hunters as well. i've recently added two months to my guiding season (barbary sheep hunting in desert mountains) and the last pair of meindls i walked out of in 7 months. i'll never say anything bad about meindls...they are an excellent boot. but all good boots are expensive, and itd be nice to get at least a full year out of a pair like i used to.

so on a whim i got a pair of scarpa wrangells...and theyre giving me blisters. just one boot. wore blisters around all spring and i'm over it. i'm used to being able to walk right into a hunt with a new pair of meindls, even the stiffer alaska hunter model...not so with these italian boots. gonna try to get em softer by soakin em in hot water, and then walking them dry. any other ideas? i like everything about em except that the heel on the right boot just rubs me wrong. proly just my foot, but i've never had trouble with meindls.

anybody else wear scarpa wrangells? got any magical book break in techniques?

just a query...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ninefoot View Post
    been wearing meindls for about nine years now. i've worn the denalis the most, but the alaska hunters and canada hunters as well. i've recently added two months to my guiding season (barbary sheep hunting in desert mountains) and the last pair of meindls i walked out of in 7 months. i'll never say anything bad about meindls...they are an excellent boot. but all good boots are expensive, and itd be nice to get at least a full year out of a pair like i used to.

so on a whim i got a pair of scarpa wrangells...and theyre giving me blisters. just one boot. wore blisters around all spring and i'm over it. i'm used to being able to walk right into a hunt with a new pair of meindls, even the stiffer alaska hunter model...not so with these italian boots. gonna try to get em softer by soakin em in hot water, and then walking them dry. any other ideas? i like everything about em except that the heel on the right boot just rubs me wrong. proly just my foot, but i've never had trouble with meindls.

anybody else wear scarpa wrangells? got any magical book break in techniques?

just a query...thanks
    Zack hate to say it but good luck on finding anything to put up with that much abuse.. have you tried plastics... what size do you wear.. My plastics last pretty good and I used to get a couple of seasons out of a pair the including several sheep in the chugach and Ak range and once I lost the edges they were still great for bear and moose..

It's kinda nice to hear about your experience with the Scarpa Wrangells as that was one of my top picks for a new set of boots....May be re-thinking that now...

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Zack hate to say it but good luck on finding anything to put up with that much abuse.. have you tried plastics... what size do you wear.. My plastics last pretty good and I used to get a couple of seasons out of a pair the including several sheep in the chugach and Ak range and once I lost the edges they were still great for bear and moose..
    hey dave...thanks for the reply. i'm leery of plastics because of the overuse of the knee joint associated with not being able to use the ankles as much. whats your experience there? i've got alot of sheep guide buddies that swear by em, but all seem to say you gotta kinda learn a new gait. i've got pretty tough knees considering what ive done to em...but i'd love to keep em that way ya know.

thanks for the reply man...glad to hear your headed to the mountains more once again this year...was wondering when it'd call you back out.

Well Zack not all plastics are the same. I started with scarpa invernos and they are bulletproof but stiff as hell... So they can certainly tear up the knees. Then One season a packer that was quitting had a pair of koflach degres that I ended up with and man they were great.. Seemed to be much more flexible and more comfortable in the lowlands but still way more support than leather as well as all the other bennies of plastics They do take a little to get used to but they dont seem to require a break in period. With all the mountain hunting you are doing you should at least take a second look. They pop up pretty cheap on Craig's list and ebay from time to time. What's your size.. I wear mine on every hunt no matter where even wore them when I guided on kodiak and down on the peninsula. Scarpa omegas are also starting to gain a lot of popularity too in the plastic arena

Well Zack not all plastics are the same. I started with scarpa invernos and they are bulletproof but stiff as hell... So they can certainly tear up the knees. Then One season a packer that was quitting had a pair of koflach degres that I ended up with and man they were great.. Seemed to be much more flexible and more comfortable in the lowlands but still way more support than leather as well as all the other bennies of plastics They do take a little to get used to but they dont seem to require a break in period. With all the mountain hunting you are doing you should at least take a second look. They pop up pretty cheap on Craig's list and ebay from time to time. What's your size.. I wear mine on every hunt no matter where even wore them when I guided on kodiak and down on the peninsula. Scarpa omegas are also starting to gain a lot of popularity too in the plastic arena
    right on...thanks dave. i'm gonna look into the second ones you speak of. i was wondering why they didnt just make a plastic with a little give so a guy could benefit from the rest of the pros to plastic boots.

i'm a 13. yeah yeah i know...just call me mongoloid.

lol...you had a packer that quit one time dave? i'm astonished... never seen that before (sorry, couldnt help myself after i reread your post... always humorous to see the difference in packer enthusiasm about mid-september or so)

right on...thanks dave. i'm gonna look into the second ones you speak of. i was wondering why they didnt just make a plastic with a little give so a guy could benefit from the rest of the pros to plastic boots.

i'm a 13. yeah yeah i know...just call me mongoloid.
    Yeah I have some 12's and can probably come up with 10's but 13's will be tough but i have seen them..There are a few other softer plastics out there too I just can't really say much on the durability. It will be a love or hate relationship once you try them. But if you do try them get on some rocks and side hill and stuff to give them a real feel. Lace them tight as possible without cutting off circulation when you climb but on the flats you can leave them a little looser till you are used to them. I personally won't ever buy another kind of hunting boot or hipper..

lol...you had a packer that quit one time dave? i'm astonished... never seen that before (sorry, couldnt help myself after i reread your post... always humorous to see the difference in packer enthusiasm about mid-september or so)
    LOL... Ok maybe more then once. Yeah they were always so enthusiastic on August 9 but it went south from there. I never quite got it,most were always young and in better shape them me and I used to smoke in the mountains but they just let thier minds get the best of them which of course makes the work harder then the inevitable plane ride back to town... We never abused them too much... Well maybe

LOL... Ok maybe more then once. Yeah they were always so enthusiastic on August 9 but it went south from there. I never quite got it,most were always young and in better shape them me.....
    Ha......ain't that the truth...!!! I only had packers a couple times. The last kid was real good. But the first kid they brought in to help with a moose wanted to quit mid stride....!!! I remember he was 25 at the time, tall, lean, and I thought looked pretty strong. I was in my early 40s or so. I never saw a pack of moose meat throw a kid around so bad in my life..... He ended up gruntin' it out tho, after I told him that meat would still be there in the morning and he wasn't getting out of it. I think he felt he had to mostly out of embarrassment..... lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

But if you do try them get on some rocks and side hill and stuff to give them a real feel. Lace them tight as possible without cutting off circulation when you climb but on the flats you can leave them a little looser till you are used to them.
    What I've always heard was most of the wear on the knees came from walking long distances on flat ground without loosening them up good enough....??? I can see how this could be.

Oh and btw, I always wore Meindls as well with real good luck. In fact I still have a pair of Mt Elbrus that are in pretty good shape, but are just too tight on me now. Last year I went for that good deal on some Kenetreks, and so far they've felt pretty nice in the rocks.

thought i'd follow up on my thread...me and the scarpas did some time in the hills all june staying in shape for my guiding season. i'll say that while they were one of the more difficult pairs of boots i've broken in, i have become very fond of them. so far my prediction (so far) is that i'll get a bit more life out of them when compared to meindls, as they are a noticeably tougher boot. though they were stubborn, they've broken in quite nice, and i'm looking forward to putting them through a full season.

i ended up just getting them wet with hot water and walking them dry a couple times. that and the addition of a pair of liner socks and some miles logged eventually did the trick...though i'll admit many of the miles were quite annoying until they started softening up.

just thought i'd be fair and update this thread as i didnt have a whole lot good to say about em when i first posted. right now i'd reccomend em to anyone needing a stiffer leather mountain boot...but i'd definitely warn em to take the time and break them in properly before hunting.

i begin four months of continuous guiding in two days...i'll let you guys know how they stand up to a long season come the end of october.

i ended up just getting them wet with hot water and walking them dry a couple times.
    I still have a pair of Meindls....the Mt Elbrus edition which I haven't worn in quite a few years now. Reason being is that they are just too tight on my feet now. I thought my feet had changed (old fart feet) and that was why, but the last time they measured my feet they were still the same. I really can't understand it as usually a boot will stretch over the years and not shrink. Anyway, I was also thinking about getting them wet and wearing them. I was wondering, when you got them wet did you totally soak them inside and out and wear them dry? I only ask because I don't mind doing this, but have to wonder how good it is for the boot? The goretex was always good and I don't remember them ever being totally soaked. I imagine that it's not big deal, but I'm just curious.....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I still have a pair of Meindls....the Mt Elbrus edition which I haven't worn in quite a few years now. Reason being is that they are just too tight on my feet now. I thought my feet had changed (old fart feet) and that was why, but the last time they measured my feet they were still the same. I really can't understand it as usually a boot will stretch over the years and not shrink. Anyway, I was also thinking about getting them wet and wearing them. I was wondering, when you got them wet did you totally soak them inside and out and wear them dry? I only ask because I don't mind doing this, but have to wonder how good it is for the boot? The goretex was always good and I don't remember them ever being totally soaked. I imagine that it's not big deal, but I'm just curious.....
    yep 4mer, the whole boot. takes a while to walk em dry, and the gore tex hinders this, but it still works. as it dries, the leather will tighten to the form of your foot. wont work very well if you arent wearing em when they dry cause they'll have no form to tighten up to...

yep 4mer, the whole boot. takes a while to walk em dry, and the gore tex hinders this, but it still works. as it dries, the leather will tighten to the form of your foot. wont work very well if you arent wearing em when they dry cause they'll have no form to tighten up to...
    Ok......yes, I used to do it before when I was a kid. Especially with the old "waffle stomper" type mountaineering type boots ( I know I'm dating myself as many of you probably don't know what I'm talking about.....lol) and it worked very well. I'm thinking that other than by accident have I gotten my goretex type boots really soaked and walked them dry. I was only just a bit concerned as to how it would be. Shouldn't really matter I guess because if I don't start wearing them I'll just end up throwing them out....and they're still way too good a boot to do that.

Thanks, and good luck with the new Scarpas. I'm hoping my new Kennetreks will do me good as well. So far so good.....

I am a happy customer with mine, put some miles on them this fall. They fit better than my Lowa hunters.