Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tough springs...and naps

Default tough springs...and naps

man it was tough out there this spring! 25 days in the field with only marginal bear activity towards the end. they were way late from the dens, and way late to start moving. got it done in the end with very exciting close range stalk on a nice big mature boar. 9'8 27 3/4
    woke him up from a nap near a couple rotten beavers he'd burried by a little no name creek...he swung awake from dead sleep on his back to full alert in one fluid motion and immediately came with one grunt! he didnt hesitate at all. it was SUPER IMMPRESSIVE! we killed him before he got his head of steam up, but it was nonetheless allmighty freakish the way he looked me in the eye from all fours in the half second it too him to rise from a dead sleep on his back. cool hunt! great bear for our country. killed him at well under fift078.jpg091.jpgy yrds. proly fortyish, didnt range him... not much need, coulda hit im with a rock.

Default couple more pics..

Outstanding bear and staying on the target.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default camp and scenics...

what a beautiful hide were all the bears that well haired? and what long claws! great and hope for more details.
    wes

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyM1990 View Post
    what a beautiful hide were all the bears that well haired? and what long claws! great and hope for more details.
    wes

hmmm, well he's gotta big rub on his shoulder and starting to shed some guard hairs...but he's got ok hide quality. definitely seen and taken lots better furred bears. this one was the latest bear our company took this spring, and the biggest. hes the least well furred also. this ones size and maturity got him killed. client was tickled. thats what matters. thanks for the kind words.

Well, shuks, what could be better, ???? 'cause we know no mater how much you sweated, it was never "Work", (though I bet your back and legs said different some night )

Good to know yer at it .
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Well, shuks, what could be better, ???? 'cause we know no mater how much you sweated, it was never "Work", (though I bet your back and legs said different some night )

Good to know yer at it .

yep, you got that right! still beats welding anyday...warm, comfortable and dry are all highly overated.

i come out of the mountains, and **** if your not a celebrity Chip! awesome. nice to see a real wolf on the tv from time to time...guy gets tired of seein all the sheep havent seen it yet but lookin forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefoot View Post
    yep, you got that right! still beats welding anyday...warm, comfortable and dry are all highly overated.

i come out of the mountains, and **** if your not a celebrity Chip! awesome. nice to see a real wolf on the tv from time to time...guy gets tired of seein all the sheep havent seen it yet but lookin forward to it.
    You may not be able to see the reruns for awhile, but Chip posted this:
    Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    that way you can watch them on the puter if you want.

Great bear, and glad you made it home safe and sound....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

very nice bear and real long claws well done. How wide were the paws, have you noticed any correlation between paw size and bear size with all your guiding? 4mer and chip thanks for linking the youtube videos i dont have the nat geo channel so i haven't been able to see whats going on with chips show.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    very nice bear and real long claws well done. How wide were the paws, have you noticed any correlation between paw size and bear size with all your guiding? 4mer and chip thanks for linking the youtube videos i dont have the nat geo channel so i haven't been able to see whats going on with chips show.
    yes definitely. correlation between the toe size and width of front pad to body size is a great way to indicate size in the country i hunt. that particular bears pad goes a bit over eight inches...not quite eight and a half. in my guiding here in western ak we seem to need at least 7 1/2 inches of front pad to break nine foot...usually closer to eight. around that size track i normally start to notice a big difference in toe size when compared to more average tracks. if i'm looking at any track (or foot on a bear we've taken) over eight 1/4 inches in our country (with no exceptions so far) then i will be looking at a bear that will square over nine and a half foot, and his head will normally go between 26 1/2 to 27 3/4. the few ten footers i've managed to find in our country all had between 8 1/2 to 9 inch front pads...seen bigger tracks on the ak penn...but havent measured a track or foot with more than nine inches to his pad in the country i currently hunt.

more average eight to eight and a half foot boars seem to have a 7 to 7 1/2 inch front pad...with a considerable difference in toe size.

thats my findings anyway.

zack

sounds like you have these bears figured out pretty well. Thanks for the reply i was wondering how reliable track size was. It seems like from your response that it would be fairly safe to say that the advice i've heard over the years to add one inch to the width of the front pad will give you a pretty close square size. I've only seen one set of tracks up here that the front pad was a little wider than my two fists put together. seems like most are quite a bit smaller of course we dont get the monster bears (probably since its mostly interior grizz) that other parts of the state get with the rare exceptions.

For Kodak most eight in tracks were real close to ten foot. Interior grizzly seemed less reliable a seven in track was often attached to an eight footer. Basic rule if its over a eight inch track, drop 'me.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    sounds like you have these bears figured out pretty well. Thanks for the reply i was wondering how reliable track size was. It seems like from your response that it would be fairly safe to say that the advice i've heard over the years to add one inch to the width of the front pad will give you a pretty close square size. I've only seen one set of tracks up here that the front pad was a little wider than my two fists put together. seems like most are quite a bit smaller of course we dont get the monster bears (probably since its mostly interior grizz) that other parts of the state get with the rare exceptions.
    yep...pretty safe to say. jakes got it right for sure on the eight inch track...whatever bear made it is big. our bears out in western have big front feet...but they dont hold that with there back feet. i have seen WAY longer rear foot tracks on the ak penn that the same size bear makes in my country. but as jake states about kodiak with the ten foot/eight inch remark...not so here, cause we just dont kill many ten foot bears out here. nine is a great bear where i hunt and anything over nine and a half is a giant and usually old. and a 28 inch skull? well, i've yet to see one. 27 13/16 a few times...but not 28.

Nice looking bear Zak and love those long claws. Good to hear you were able to wait it out and find a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    You may not be able to see the reruns for awhile, but Chip posted this:

that way you can watch them on the puter if you want.

Great bear, and glad you made it home safe and sound....!!!
    did you happen to see on 7:18 of that video....they guy is using one of those ar-15 toilet plungers to take caribou. Gets a misfire, so cold the bolt didn't close all the way. Blows the shot because of the rifle.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuSJV...layer_embedded

More of grease problem I suspect than the rifle.
    Had it happen on a ruger 10-22 before chasing ptarmigan in the winter till I cleaned it up and removed the lube.
    BK

Good work Ninefoot, well done. Shockingly thin bear even for spring.

Great story and pics, that shoulder looks pretty "flexible" in that first picture

Thanks for the kind words guys...he's a great bear and I'm particularly happy with the way we killed him. Big bears at very close range is where its at for me. Its a different experience when your right there in there living space with em.

Yes....very skinny. Not too uncommon for a bear that's been out of his den for a bit and hadn't goten much to eat, had a hard winter, runnin sows had and all the other spring stuff. His hips showed, he had zero fat anywhere. He was hardening up though so (his muscles were tight unlike some of the "soft bears" you find right on the den) I tend to think he'd been up and awake for a good while. Was starting to shed also, and had a rub on his shoulder.

And yes...that shoulder as well as his opposite one is ver broken. We contained him well and everything went safely...but we were very close and poor shooting would have led to unpleasant things.

Boy ill never forget how fast he locked onto us from a dead sleep. I mean it wasn't a full second it seemed from hearing him snoring and grumbling in his slumber right in front of us, till he was looking right into me and advancing! Neat stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast