Thread: PWS Wed, 29

Default PWS Wed, 29

Went out with Crazy Ray's this last Wed. Weather was great...everyone limited out on halibut and hog rock fish. Channel 2 had their sports and camera gals on board...supposed to air next Thursday on the fishing report. I've been disappointed with past charters for various reasons but this crew gave us a great day all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Went out with Crazy Ray's this last Wed. Weather was great...everyone limited out on halibut and hog rock fish. Channel 2 had their sports and camera gals on board...supposed to air next Thursday on the fishing report. I've been disappointed with past charters for various reasons but this crew gave us a great day all around.
    Was a pleasure meeting you there Gary. I had a great time as well and have a short video uploading now of the trip.

Charlie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Pleasure meeting you as well, Charlie. That was a fun bunch of folks. Haven't sampled the halibut yet but those rock fish are sooooo good!! Have my boat loaded for her PWS maiden voyage tomorrow or Tues.

Black rock bass are IMO the only rockfish that bakes well, the texture being very different that yelloweye, quillback, coppers etc. If you have any whole fish, try stuffing the gut cavity with celery, onions and butter, wrap in foil and bake at 350 for about 30 mins or so, just until the flesh turns opaque. Yum! If already filleted, take two fillets and put that stuffing between them, finely chopped. Top with butter and a nice fish spice like "Spike". Cover and back, maybe a little less than whole fish....

wurrz port kalin?

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Black rock bass are IMO the only rockfish that bakes well, the texture being very different that yelloweye, quillback, coppers etc. If you have any whole fish, try stuffing the gut cavity with celery, onions and butter, wrap in foil and bake at 350 for about 30 mins or so, just until the flesh turns opaque. Yum! If already filleted, take two fillets and put that stuffing between them, finely chopped. Top with butter and a nice fish spice like "Spike". Cover and back, maybe a little less than whole fish....
    Dang...that sounds great! Going to try it, for sure. I usually steam them on a covered rack above a couple cups of water with my veggies/seasonings in the water. The fish is done in about 6 minutes but I let the rest simmer a few minutes longer and then flake in some of the fish...makes a tasty light soup to go with the filets. So simple I can't even screw it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jisler View Post
    wurrz port kalin?
    Port Ashton by the village of Chenaga. All are essentially one mile apart and in the same bay in southern PWS, down by LaTouche.
    BK

HACK/DETOUR#2: Well, not a lot of action on this thread, but wanted to thank Garyak for his steaming/soup idea, I like that and will try it, never thought of steaming fish...OK, we will meet again on the food forum, never been there, it is time for some new recipes

I am heading out there the weekend of June 14. Looks like a lot of fun. I can not wait.

Haven't tried it with rockfish, but one of my favorite ways to serve cod is to stuff it with shrimp, no reason it won't work with rockfish.

Take your skinned fillets, cut them a bit over an inch wide and roll them up on a baking sheet holding the strip of meat into a donut shape with a toothpick. Fill the center of the circle with shrimp stuffing and top with grated parmesian and paprika, bake at 350 until fish turns opaque, 25-30 minutes.

For the stuffing, take 1-2 pounds of cocktail shrimp, finely dice 1/2 onion, a few stocks of green onions, 3-5 cloves of garlic, juice of 1/2 lime, 1/2t ground corriander and 1/4 c sour cream or mayo. Mix above together and heap onto the fish "donuts"

Poached fish as per Gary is good stuff. The key is not to let the water boil. It's a great way to use up last years frozen salmon as it seems to re-hydrate it and the tecture is quite nice.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Dang...that sounds great! Going to try it, for sure. I usually steam them on a covered rack above a couple cups of water with my veggies/seasonings in the water. The fish is done in about 6 minutes but I let the rest simmer a few minutes longer and then flake in some of the fish...makes a tasty light soup to go with the filets. So simple I can't even screw it up.
    Garyak: like the others, I love this cooking idea. Can you explain your cooking hardware with a little more detail? Would love pics if you have them. Thanks in advance.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    HACK/DETOUR#2: Well, not a lot of action on this thread, but wanted to thank Garyak for his steaming/soup idea, I like that and will try it, never thought of steaming fish...OK, we will meet again on the food forum, never been there, it is time for some new recipes
    We always talk about catching them...I sure don't mind talking about preparing/eating them...so hack away..lol

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Garyak: like the others, I love this cooking idea. Can you explain your cooking hardware with a little more detail? Would love pics if you have them. Thanks in advance.
    I'll try to take/post a pic or two tomorrow, MRFISH. Also agree with Paul that not boiling is key. I sold a high end line of waterless cookware for years so that's what I use but it certainly not necessary.

Here's my stuff..three qt. sauce pan has room for about 6 cups max under the colander. A good fitting lid is a bonus. I found this last night and thought it to be a better explanation than I could give. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcfOLH7xyto . A more practical way to do what I first described is to start your water, veggies and seasonings several minutes ahead of adding the fish to the colander...that way everything is done at the same time. You can try this link for larger images https://picasaweb.google.com/1119976...77873034420786

Thanks for the add'l info, Garyak. I can't hit you with more rep, but hopefully others will. Can't wait to catch some fresh fish to try this out.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Thanks for the add'l info, Garyak. I can't hit you with more rep, but hopefully others will. Can't wait to catch some fresh fish to try this out.
    My pleasure, MRFISH. In the meantime you might give boneless skinless chicken breasts a whirl. I like to cut them cross ways about 1/2" thick so they cook uniformly...very moist and juicy!