Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you load sub-sonic 12 ga. slugs.........????

Default Can you load sub-sonic 12 ga. slugs.........????

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/ultraSlug.asp

I am wondering how quiet you could get this 24" puppy by reducing velocity, and installing a 18" flash suppressor. I wonder if you started porting at 12 or 14" if you could have all the gas out of a reduced load pre-muzzle.

flash suppressor will produce more noise...

and yes, you can load "quieter" 12 slug loads.

Key is using the best powder and wad combination- I recommend a heavier slug- 1 3/8 to 2 ounces

Check BPI's website for more info.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Slu...tinfo/00MSLUG/ as a start.

There are also some new suppressors for shotguns out today...

Good luck and have fun,

Chris

Good luck and have fun,
    Chris

The Tracker II is a better slug gun as it has good sights. When Remington first bought Marlin the Marlin and H&R suffered some but maybe quaility is back now. At times you can find the tracker barrels on e-bay for around a hundred bucks.In pawn shops you should be able to pick up a H&H or NEF for around $75.00 out the door.Just stick the barrel on the pawn shop gun and you are good to go.Any newer action other than 22lr will work.
    http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/tracker2.asp

Porting adds noise like said above.Sub-sonic should not be a problem.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

The objective is to have the sound as muffled as possible "With-Out" a sound suppressor. It is not important that it be quiet to the shooter, but that the accurate direction of the firing is unclear to others afield.

And yes the heavier the slug the better. Nearly all shots will be under 40 yards, and only needs to hold 24 MOA

Any other input............????

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Any other input............????
    Use a knife.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

hit 24" at 40 yards?
    with how much energy/force? lethgality?
    Why not more accuratecy?

And at 40 yards... I believe the "target" would be able to see movement and determine where a shot came from

something don't add up to me here?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    something don't add up to me here?

Chris
    You can say that again......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Email Ed Hubel. He is the member who has the 12ga from hell posts. He would be the best source I know for loading slugs. I also like the tracker ll idea. I own one and like it a lot.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    You can say that again......

If you can NOT read.......or Comprehend what you read, you can expect this condition......

However if you will "SLOWLY" re-read post #4 (or have someone read it to you) You will notice that it CLEARLY states 24 MOA, Assuming you have no idea what MOA is, I'll reduce it to "National Guard" terms, it is roughly 9 3/4" group at 40 yards. If this is still unclear, I can draw you a picture.

I can draw you a picture.
    Oh please do oh great one...!!! Please enlighten us mere mortals, as most of us find it hard to comprehend such an advanced intelligence such as yours.....

that's what I get for posting without sleep...

you are correct.. roughly 10 inches at 40 yards.. Which is acceptable with very crude sights, such as a big bead and no rear sight..

My slug gun does 2 1/2 inch groups at a hundred yards- but it is set up to hunt whitetails and black bear,

AGL, I appologize for mis interpreting your post..

But I still think you should try for a more accurite load/combination....
    At 40 yards, should be able to hit heart shots on a deer sized target (4-5 inch)- not "somewhere in the side" (40 inch circle)

My two cents, which in this economy ain't __

Chris

one option available commercially, if this ammo crunch goes away, is the Remington Reduced Recoil loads-- they have a reduced noise signature also.

Chris

This is for post SHTF. The goal is too have these firearms Cheap, cheap, cheap. When moving a team up or down a valley the point man will have a muffled slug gun and be looking for meat, he will have his AR-15 slung. There will be two men high for overwatch. It would be extremely rare that anyone else would be in the valley, but best to keep the sound as muffled as possible.

Never take the low ground if a fight might happen.Any noise on the low ground is easiest to detect all the way to the top.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I thought this was a hunting forum...

If it's SHTF then there are better options than slugs. If looking for "meat" a 22 with subsonic's will harvest grouse, rabbits, and the occasional moose if bullet placed in the right spot. Also, option have the option of stick and string harvesting for "meat"

Chris

If it's SHTF then there are better options than slugs. If looking for "meat" a 22 with subsonic's will harvest grouse, rabbits, and the occasional moose if bullet placed in the right spot. Also, option have the option of stick and string harvesting for "meat"

Chris
    Yes, I have about 2,400 rounds of sub-sonic and two CZ-452 Ultra-Lux rifles with 28.5" barrels. http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-ultra-lux/

Very quiet set-up.

This is for post SHTF.

And that's exactly why I said what I did in regards to "you can say that again". It had nothing to do with MOA....

Early in this thread someone said that porting the barrel with those little tiny holes they port trapguns with, That it would INCREASE the noise.....Why ??? I would think bleeding the gas off ASAP would be good. Thoughts.

This thread should not be on the hunting forum. And AGL4now, maybe next time you can make it clear what you are really driving at instead of drawing folks into these type of crazy threads on the hunting forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast