Thread: SAT PHONE (Need Help)

Default SAT PHONE (Need Help)

Forum Member,

My father-in-law and I will be taking a trip across the Gulf of Alaska in the next few weeks (weather dependent) in his trawler but we dont own a sat phone. Now I dont want to be cheap and I know that I can rent them, but 75 dollars a week is kind of steep IMO. Would anyone on the forum be willing to lend me a SAT phone for cheaper than 75 bucks? If so, PM me!

Also, if the phone is damaged in anyway, shape, or form it will be replaced! The trip should only take us 53 hours from Cape Spencer to Seward. We will be running non-stop and strait across so hopefully I will only need it for 3 or 4 days.

I dont plan to even use it I just want the peace of mind.

Thanks for help!

LONGKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Longkj View Post
    Forum Member,

My father-in-law and I will be taking a trip across the Gulf of Alaska in the next few weeks (weather dependent) in his trawler but we dont own a sat phone. Now I dont want to be cheap and I know that I can rent them, but 75 dollars a week is kind of steep IMO. Would anyone on the forum be willing to lend me a SAT phone for cheaper than 75 bucks? If so, PM me!

Also, if the phone is damaged in anyway, shape, or form it will be replaced! The trip should only take us 53 hours from Cape Spencer to Seward. We will be running non-stop and strait across so hopefully I will only need it for 3 or 4 days.

I dont plan to even use it I just want the peace of mind.

Thanks for help!

LONGKJ
    Don't know why a good VHF radio wouldn't be adequate?

I agree, but VHF is line of sight and I'm just trying to be safe as possible in case we get in real bad weather. We are taking a strait shot there and will be offshore the entire time. VHF is not adequate for being off shore that far. The vessel is not equipped with an SSB or HF. I called the coast guard and they recommended that I have a sat phone or HF on the vessel before departure.

Just go downtown and rent one for a week. Well worth the $75 for piece of mind. Hope you guys have a safe trip. I bet that's gonna be a blast.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Renting a sat phone for 75 bux is expensive, but taking a trawler 500 miles across the gulf is not? I'm confused.

good luck
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Quote Originally Posted by c-bolt View Post
    Renting a sat phone for 75 bux is expensive, but taking a trawler 500 miles across the gulf is not? I'm confused.

good luck
    You aint kiddin C-bolt...I dont own the vessel my father-in-law does. I only get the luxury of long boat rides across the gulf and few halibut trips.

And Rob, I know Im a cheap ba$tard but that 75 helps put fuel in my friends boats!!! hint...hint...hint. Im still dealing with the loss of the Pig Farmer.

$75 will look like pocket change if you get in a tight situation IMO. Even if said situation doesn't arise, you'll still have the piece of mind knowing you have it. WORTH IT!

I agree, spend the $75! It just one night away from the bush company.....

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    I agree, spend the $75! It just one night away from the bush company.....

I know AKBassking but like any "boat guy" I can stare at the lines of a boat all day long...

For anyone else,
    I just want to save a few bucks, thats what I, we (everyone) wants. I can pretty much say that the next time I would need a sat phone would be never... 75 bucks for a phone I dont intend to use is pointless unless I can get it for much less. I DO have to funds to replace any phone that I barrow from anyone. I just choose to ask a very simple question. I have seen members on this forum let other member barrow pot pullers, pickups, and fishing tackle. Unlike most Americans I dont spend what is left, I save; So my kids dont have to face the cold lifeless hand of war, poverty, neglect. LOL....Oh who am i kidding...enough with this BS... Im cheap... I just want to save a buck or two. Does anyone have a phone I can use to about 3 to 4 days??? It will be in good hands!

LongKJ

Here are some no so bad prices at west marine. Prices have come way down from what they used to be. So ask your self: Is it worth my life? Too late when you are floating around in the gulf....

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=50162

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Id hook you up if I could...but.....

Good luck in your search!

On the topics of sat phones though, I would recommend the Iridium network based phones. Spot runs on the Globalstar network which has a much more limited satellite base. I know from experience in the mountains the signal is much harder to get. I've had many messages sent with my spot messenger that didn't reach home, luckily, they were all just OK messages and not emergency. It would probably work fine though on a boat in big water though. I would just be happier to have one I could use in the mountains and on the water...

my .02

One thing to remember with sat phones are the contracts that they may have. For instance with my sat phone I have an Alaskan package that only works to 10 miles off shore. I personally have never made this run across the gulf so im not sure if you will be away from land for more than 10 miles. If so you would have to purchase a separate contract. The service contracts are more than $75. I appreciate that your trying to save money, but in the long run $75 is a small investment. I would let you use mine, but it is currently deactivated and as previously mentioned it would cost more than $75 to activate.

Quote Originally Posted by joebut1985 View Post
    One thing to remember with sat phones are the contracts that they may have. For instance with my sat phone I have an Alaskan package that only works to 10 miles off shore. I personally have never made this run across the gulf so im not sure if you will be away from land for more than 10 miles. If so you would have to purchase a separate contract. The service contracts are more than $75. I appreciate that your trying to save money, but in the long run $75 is a small investment. I would let you use mine, but it is currently deactivated and as previously mentioned it would cost more than $75 to activate.
    Thanks for the insight Joe I will look into the offshore stuff tomorrow.

Default most sat phones not waterproof

most satellite phones are not waterproof, and certainly not submersible,

so if you wind up swimming with your phone, you will probably wish you had a PLB instead.

you can get a PLB for $300, wear it on your life preserver,

no reason for anybody to not have one who can afford an ocean boat