Thread: vacuum sealing/meat care in unit 26

Default vacuum sealing/meat care in unit 26

I've been reading a lot about field care of big game and game bags and meat care in the field. I'm planning a caribou hunt to unit 26 at the end of august and will out in the field for 7 days. I'm wondering if anyon has used a vacuum sealer in the field. My plan is to bone out/butcher all my meat in the field. I could then of course use game bags but I'm wondering if vacuum sealing might work better? I have a 12 volt adapter that I can run my sealer on for a long time and would take a small 12 volt battery in with me.

What will that do to spoil time?
    Has anyone ever tried it?
    Could I then keep it cool on the hot days in a river once it it is sealed?
    Is it better to leave it in quarters and bone it after I'm out of the field? (Id rather not)

Just trying to think outside the box.

Thanks

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnybou View Post
    I've been reading a lot about field care of big game and game bags and meat care in the field. I'm planning a caribou hunt to unit 26 at the end of august and will out in the field for 7 days. I'm wondering if anyon has used a vacuum sealer in the field. My plan is to bone out/butcher all my meat in the field. I could then of course use game bags but I'm wondering if vacuum sealing might work better? I have a 12 volt adapter that I can run my sealer on for a long time and would take a small 12 volt battery in with me.

What will that do to spoil time?
    Has anyone ever tried it?
    Could I then keep it cool on the hot days in a river once it it is sealed?
    Is it better to leave it in quarters and bone it after I'm out of the field? (Id rather not)

Just trying to think outside the box.

Thanks
    Without adequate refrigeration, vacuum sealing would accelerate spoilage. I would leave it on the bone and in game bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I would leave it on the bone and in game bags.
    Ditto. Rig a sun/rain shade and keep it off the ground if you can.

I've had caribou meat last 13 days without spoilage beginning late Aug. Cool air circulation is key.

Specifically what we did was cut alder poles (you could bring lightweight aluminum poles) and made 2 tripods with a crossbar. The meat (in game bags) was suspended from the cross bar. Rain ponchos were fastened to the upper section of the apparatus to keep the sun off, but still allow good air circulation. Worked like a charm.

Thanks a lot. I guess I was just thinking if you got rid of all the air and kept it cool it might be even better but unless someone has tried it I won't risk it and will stick with your suggestions.