Thread: Prince of wales sportfishing

Default Prince of wales sportfishing

What is the road network like around POW . Ive heard there is many ,many world class streams to fish. Is this credible and if so , are they accessible.

Default yes....but remember

Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    What is the road network like around POW . Ive heard there is many ,many world class streams to fish. Is this credible and if so , are they accessible.
    yes...but remember:

It is POW, AK, not new york city. The road network is mainly gravel surface. Access to the island (via commercial airline), rental cars/rigs, boats, gas, provisions, are not everywhere, but can be had near various towns/resorts. Once you get near the rivers, you may need to hike, or boat, from there to best locations; hikes can and do involve brush-busting through old or second growth timber with no trails, lots of devil's club, logging slash, 10-15' diameter logs, etc. Also, the fishing reputation is primarily from spring steelhead (not that easy to catch, at least for me, but attractive strong-fighting fish) and some late summer/fall coho. I have had some good recent fishing there for both. There are some places that have very good, hatchery-enhanced saltwater fisheries for coho, near Neck Lack/Coffman Cove; you can catch lots of fish there.

thanks stevesch

It sounds like a great place to explore.

hi texfish. Oh yes , I totally agree. It sounds like the place to explore.

I already planned to visit Kenai in Sept. Maybe POW next year.

This guy has a great do it yourself setup. You have cabin and truck and boat as I recall. Been wanting to go here for a while.

http://www.coffmancoveak.com/

Dan

Thank for the info Dan. One more thing in the bucket list