Thread: Which sonar for saltwater?

Default Which sonar for saltwater?

What is the best electronics available for fish finding ? Garmin , Hummingbird? thanks

furuno or raymarine

Simrad. Best around for sure!
    Piscor Ergo Sum

You are going to get answers just like you asked what truck is best. Some say Ford some say Chevy. It all really depends on how much you want to spend. I had a furuno for years but went with a garmin setup with the new boat. I liked the furuno but I haven't tried the garmin yet cause the new boat won't get here till monday.

Add Lowrance to the list of possibilities. I'm using theirs because I can't afford Furuno, Raymarine or Simrad. In my uses and comparisons Garmin and Hummingbird are steps down from the Lowrance, while the others are steps up.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Add Lowrance to the list of possibilities. I'm using theirs because I can't afford Furuno, Raymarine or Simrad. In my uses and comparisons Garmin and Hummingbird are steps down from the Lowrance, while the others are steps up.
    I'm disappointed beyond words for allowing myself to be talked into a Humminbird. I did the research, and had a Lowrance picked out, but then inexplicably went with Humminbird....all to save a paltry $150 on a $1,200 unit. I'm a colossal idiot.

Just buy furuno and don't look back.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Furuno for me. If you look and are patient on EBAY, you can get a 10 inch, VX1 Nav Net for around 800-900. Sounder Module will be around $300. Be careful with power cords etc if they aren't included, as they add up in cost. (or mounting braket) You'll want C-Map charts, but if you find one with the old Navionics, Furuno will change it over for free, you just need to mail it down. You can integrate a radar too if you find a Furuno radar that will talk to it. With that you'll have a professional unit for not much money.

By far, the best "bang" for your buck, by a mile.. A newer unit will cost you upwards of 5k. Even with a 600w tranducer, you'll see sooo much.

If you want the best, then go with the new chirp technology.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

To go fully chirp, about 7-8k? I looked at it, and decided that by the time I bought the display, sounder module, and transducer, I'd be looking at way expense than I could justify.

Just for grins, here's the price breakdown I see to go with the latest and greatest:

Simrad NSS12: $2999
    BSM-2 Chirp Sounder Module $2249
    Simrad 1kw Chirp Tranducer: $1325

Total: $6573 + Shipping

And, if you go up to a 3kw transducer, you are looking at 3k more.

If you have a Garmin network chartplotter, then you can get their GSD 26 device for $2K and a transducer for another $1-1.5K and be done. I believe that with Chirp you do not have to run nearly the same power as you to with traditional sonars to get the same depth and resolution.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Why is a guy in Ireland asking guys in Alaska about fishfinders ??? 2 completly different worlds of fishing !! and now that we have started to spill our guts,,,,,,,no replies ????

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Why is a guy in Ireland asking guys in Alaska about fishfinders ??? 2 completly different worlds of fishing !! and now that we have started to spill our guts,,,,,,,no replies ????
    He's setting up over here, picking up property and a boat, etc. Good sense for him to be asking first.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    If he was asking where to get the best shrimping gear you wouldn't be complaining! When's the next time your going to be in Anchorage I need some more supplies?

Deak

Hi potbuilder, greetings from Ireland. Thanks for your valuable input. Brownbear is correct. Im aiming to set up in Alaska in the very near future. Over the course of the last few weeks allot of people have suggested that I take a serious look at the salt water fishery around the state. Being new to me ( I am a avid fly-fisher ) I reasoned that the best place to get credible advice was from the people themselves. That is the reason for me probing this matter entirely. I would actually value your advice dearly. Saltwater fishing is completely new to me although im am completely engrossed by the whole subject following the advise I have received from the many great followers of this forum....Thanks potbuilder and everyone else...

Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    ...( I am a avid fly-fisher )....
    Do like we do, and keep a 4-piece 10WT or two on the boat. We rig ours with Rio Leviathan line. Every now and then you find the salmon, rockfish or halibut concentrated in places you can reach them with a fly. More fun than you can imagine! It only happens a few times each summer, principally in August, but it will make your summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    Hi potbuilder, greetings from Ireland. Thanks for your valuable input. Brownbear is correct. Im aiming to set up in Alaska in the very near future. Over the course of the last few weeks allot of people have suggested that I take a serious look at the salt water fishery around the state. Being new to me ( I am a avid fly-fisher ) I reasoned that the best place to get credible advice was from the people themselves. That is the reason for me probing this matter entirely. I would actually value your advice dearly. Saltwater fishing is completely new to me although im am completely engrossed by the whole subject following the advise I have received from the many great followers of this forum....Thanks potbuilder and everyone else...
    Top o the mornin' to ya Mickey !! Guess i should have been following your posts before opening my yap !! The salt water fly fishery is basically untouched, i've always thought about surf fishing for those kings down on the kenai beaches, my buddies kill the striped bass from the beach back on the east coast and i'd bet using some of that gear and knowledge a guy could catch a few of those kings, shooting heads would be your friend. Good luck with your property search if it were me i'd get myself a nice trailer and move around a bit and kinds get a feel for where you may or may not was to settle in. You'll get lots of good advise on this site and welcome to the state when you get here maybe we'll bump into each other this fall on the river. By the way my wife is a Coyle !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Steve , How's it going my friend. Wow , cant stop looking at your web-site, love it !!!!! Ill be having some of them pots when I get over there , I can assure you of that. A coyle ? really , fantastic. Yeah im hoping to purchase a place in the next year or so somewhere in the state. I just love the place. Love fishing, cant wait to try crabbing either.