Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear at the north fork of kashwitna

Default Bear at the north fork of kashwitna

Drove the mail trail into the North fork looking for bear. I then hiked up stream past the forks. Still early. I saw one black bear track at the confluence. The fishing was great, at the confluence. Many rainbows and some big dollys. One more week and it will be even better. Chef

Default Where's the mail trail?

Where is the mail trail, and how did you get to the North Fork of the Kashwitna? I have been wanting to go there for years. Of course, you probably won't share your secret.

What kind of shape is the trail in?

Default north fork

trail was typical spring very wet and muddy yet frozen beneath water. The large swamp was very wet and muddy but frozen enough that you did not go in to deep. River itself was very clear and fairly shallow. Stay below high water mark in river so you do not have any confrontations with people saying it is private property. I prefer to go during the week just to avoid confrontations as there are a few people who think that they own the river. Not true i have researched it and have the coordinates and history readily avaliable if asked or if accused. Bottom line is the river and its banks belong to all of us and if you are travaling using the most"unobtrusive" method which is walking then you can hunt and fish on the river and travel on "historical" based trails which includes the mail trail. There actually is a historic trail going all the way up the Kashwitna and over the hills towrds the mountains. There also use to historical trail going to a fur farm. All of these trails are readily found with a little research, but when some one is in your face accusing you of trespass they make little differance. Chef

Chef,
    I know of the one trailhead at ShirleyTown Road in Willow. Is there another trailhead from the north, up around Sheep Creek or Caswell Creek? The most confrontations I have heard of come from around the Caswell Subdivision. Any other trouble spots to steer clear of or start addressing the question in a legal manner?

Default kashwitna

Confrontations have occure at the mouth of the north fork and the Kashwitna river. A family thinks they own all the land including the river and its sand bars. I had hiked in and wa standing in the water when the guy came out and got im my face. Not to pretty. I chose to say the heck with it and left, as i fish to relax and not fight. I think maybe next time i will just stand my ground and try to call the troppers with the cell, if it will work from there. I can understand the whole caswell trail thing but i can not understand threatning people from the river itself. Mail trail start at the end of the caswell lake subdivision and works itself to the Kashwitna river then it is a half mile upstream to the mouth. Lots of bear and great fishing

Default land

I do know the family that owns the surronding land. They are very good people, but there are a few relatives that use the land and do not take kindly to tresspassers. I understand that no-one can own the river, but they do own all the land arround the north fork of Kaswitna.

There are people trespassing back there all the time and I can understand why they are frustrated with it.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I went to DNR in Anchorage today and talked to them about who owns the land around Kashwitna Fork. I told them about a man getting into the face of a fisherman, telling him he is trespassing on private land and I need to know who owns the land around the Kashwitna Fork?

DNR map shows, the Kashwitna Fork is STATE LAND in fact all the land N, E, S, W and W for 2+ miles is state land.

If this information is wrong please let me know and I will inform DNR so they can correct their maps and information. I will need specific information.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I will need specific information.
    Good luck with THAT <grin>.

This issue was fought awhile back on the ODD forums.

There is legal access to state land back there, the owners and their minions just prefer to ignore that fact when they pull guns on guys and their wives who are standing in the river and order 'em off "their" land.

I fear this won't get resolved until someone gets seriously injured or killed back there.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default this sounds like

a great place to take my cousin fishing. a state trooper, he is.

Default Ok I Give

Im tired of this subject.

I have been fishing the fork since early 90's ...... Im not sure what the real subject matter is...Is it property access or is it just a thread to complain about property loyalty. I hear you saying ...."i cant get there from here" ....
    but if the property between the fork and public accesss is PRIVATE then there is not a access point. So what are you saying???? It sucks for now but just imagine if everyone could get there.. It wouldnt be the "NORTHFORK"
    We use moutain bikes to get in and just hide when we hear THEM looking for Us......its a long ride (8 miles) but it is worth it....

It sucks that they havent made the public access(grandfather rights) and i fear it is a ways away,,, until the trails committe solves the access problem we all have to sneak in there and realease some native trout that have a growth problem...

joe
    rainbowtrout@gci.net

Default north fork

Sock eyer you are right, as far as limiting vehicle access. However there is a trail that i hiked in for over twenty years. It is a three mile hike one way. Also the mail trail will get you within a mile of the river and then you just hike up stream. Good to know that the mouth is state land for a two square mile distance. I actually was standing in the river on the red rock when i was confronted with a guy screaming at me. He "just happened" to expose a weapon when he pulled back his jacket. I think i am going to hike in there and take the chance. I will call troopers if i am threatened. Because when some one tells me "get out of here before you get wet" it is a threat. The spring waters of Alaska are very cold so it could possibly be conceived as a threat to my life. I can understand four wheelers and trucks but i can not understand someone hiking up the stream with his dog getting chased out. I have decided to make my stand and will take my chance in court. If i lose i will pay the fine. If he shoots me then he will do the time.

Default Take a pal

Viktor, if you do plan on going back to the same area I would definately suggest taking someone else with you. It's never a bad idea to bring a buddy.

Thumbs up North Fork Kashwitna access

Chef,
    Another suggestion in addition to a "fishing buddy" would be to bring a GPS to unequivocally document your EXACT POSITION if confronted and a camera in case it should be appropriate to take some "portrait photos" of interesting people that you might perchance encounter. Keep us informed and keep your wits about you.

Default I give too.

I have been going to the north fork with sockeyer and always enjoyed our adventures or misadventures as they sometimes (most times) turn out.

But if i understand what rutting moose is saying that it is state land around the north fork than there needs to be some investigating into the "ROAD" that was made with a bull dozer on the state land that leads right up to the north fork. That is proably what these property owners are worried about. I am sure it is aginst the law to make your own roads on state land.

One trip I also pulled up on the mountain bikes at the north fork and the "locals" were there fishing. They had there four wheelers and one meat wagon. Sticking out of the meat wagon was three "that I could" see king tails. All of them 30 -50 pounders. I think that is also what they are guarding up there.

Just a little more fuel for the fire.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default if i was going there

i would put a small tape recorder in my pocket and get everything on record. just telling a trooper your story is hearsay. a tape is something they can go on.

Someone needs to plan a "Community Fishing Day on the North Fork." I have visions of scores of families legally accessing and fishing the river with the protection of numbers. Do it three or four times and see what opens up. If nothing else it would force the issue or set a precedent. If I lived nearby I'd help organize and carry it out.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    Someone needs to plan a "Community Fishing Day on the North Fork." I have visions of scores of families legally accessing and fishing the river with the protection of numbers. Do it three or four times and see what opens up. If nothing else it would force the issue or set a precedent. If I lived nearby I'd help organize and carry it out.
    Excellent idea. I would participate, if at all possible. Sometimes this type of thing just needs a good "PUBLIC AIRING". When are the confrontations happening? Weekends or weekdays or what? Has anyone got the names of the perps? Seems as though some discussion with them, before hand would go a long way in resolving the access issue. I have not been there in a long time. The road in is news to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast