Thread: 260 Alaskan Power?

Default 260 Alaskan Power?

So, if you guys were to repower a 260 Alaskan, what motors would you get? Stick with a free new 115 and buy another or cash it in and go with a BIG single and a kicker? I've been down and out going on 2 months now and I'm fed up with a certain "Progessive" insurance company. So, who has experience with a big single and what is the performance that you get?

Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    So, if you guys were to repower a 260 Alaskan, what motors would you get? Stick with a free new 115 and buy another or cash it in and go with a BIG single and a kicker? I've been down and out going on 2 months now and I'm fed up with a certain "Progessive" insurance company. So, who has experience with a big single and what is the performance that you get?

Rob
    All things being equal (and if it were my money to spend), I'd consider two Suzuki DF 140s.

Rob,

If it was my choice, I would get a big single with a 20HP Kicker. I regret to this day being talked into twin 115's by Deweys when I bought my Alaskan 240. I can't get on step no matter how hard I try with one 115 so it really is not much better than a 20 or 9.9 high thrust. Less maintenance with a big single etc.... Good luck with what ever you choose. Yamaha or Suzuki in the 300 hp range.

Mark

Dewey's had a pretty good deal going on non-current 115's this spring and they were including free install with the motor. Might be worth looking into, otherwise a new Yamaha 250 seems like it would be a pretty good fit.

The way I look at twins is unless they are big enough for one of them to get the boat on step, you have a really expensive kicker motor.

If you stick with twins, you'll probably need to go with at least 150's if not 175's to have enough power to get on step, with a single a 250 would be a sweet setup.

The plus of twins properly sized is if one motor goes south, you can return to port on plane. Also sized properly to get on plane with one you'll have more power than a single so be able to get to the fishing grounds quickly when the conditions are nice and your buddy is paying for fuel. If the big single goes out, you're getting towed or taking a the "3 hr tour" on your kicker.

The plus of the big single is lower installed cost, lower maintenance costs and better fuel efficiency.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Big single 300 with a kicker. Whatever the hull rating can take IMO.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Ugggg. Well, I just got the phone call that they have two 2011 115's for cheap. I might talk to them tomorrow about a big 300. I really like the idea of the big one due to the lower weight and single motor to deal with. Twin 150's is my ideal situation but money is a big factor. Lots of good info hear.
    Paul, I have always agreed and looked up to your thoughts. I'll keep that in mind tomorrow when I talk to them.
    For now, I'm headed to Portage creek to do some camping and try to forget about all this crap. If ya see a Blue Dodge Mega cab with a yellow tent on the side of the creek stop by and say hey.

Aggrivated beyond reason.........
    Rob
    MMSI# 338232859

I run a single with a kicker. There is the ideal setup, and then there is economic reality.

I can relate to having a frustrating season, that was me last year. My mom passed away in June and between traveling to the funeral, bad weather and other stuff coming up I only got out once last year
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Rob
    Stop by anchorage yamaha suzuki & look at the df150 twins or a single df300. I am running a single df150 on my 22 searunner & its been great.tA single df150 should get you on step& they were actually cheaper than the 150 yamaha last year when I bought mine.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

How bout the new 200 Yamahas; lighter weight than the current 150's. will never be underpowered.
    What's the hull rated for?

Rob is the transom set up for a big single? I know that Hewes does a beefier transom at the factory for Big singles...Ok now my 2 cents....If I would have bought a NEW boat, I would get Twin Yami 200's, same size and weight of the 150, but all fly by wire, no cables....Our hulls are rated at 450 HP, and with 115's your only half the rated HP...I have always heard to stay within 80%...so even 150's are cutting it close. There are different schools of thought twins vs. single....but in my mind twins are nice...except for a fuel problem you always have a "spare motor"...Is your insuance going to pay for one or two motors? I know money is always an issue, but if they are going to pay for 115's than pay the extra and go to 150's...you can always sell your old motors to recover some of the loss too....BTW what happenedto the motor that made them want to replace it? Sorry this has gone on this long and hopefully you will be in PWS soon...we are heading out next week...hope to see you there...one last thing...you could always go the cheap and let them replace the bad motor and it wouldn't be any different than you had the last few seasons.
    It's better to burn out than fade away.....

Ugggg. Well, I just got the phone call that they have two 2011 115's for cheap. I might talk to them tomorrow about a big 300. I really like the idea of the big one due to the lower weight and single motor to deal with. Twin 150's is my ideal situation but money is a big factor. Lots of good info hear.
    Paul, I have always agreed and looked up to your thoughts. I'll keep that in mind tomorrow when I talk to them.
    For now, I'm headed to Portage creek to do some camping and try to forget about all this crap. If ya see a Blue Dodge Mega cab with a yellow tent on the side of the creek stop by and say hey.

Aggrivated beyond reason.........
    Rob
    Hey Rob, I had to go through an unscheduled, mid-season re-power a couple years ago, so I know exactly what you are going through. My frustration meter was redlined!!!!!! Had to special order and have a crate motor shipped up from the L48, then wait on the shop to do the install. I was out of the water for almost two months. For what it's worth, my advise is to pick the motor(s) you want, don't just settle for "good enough" in order to get back on the water sooner, and have it done right. In the mean time...keep your chin up.

Ok. Insurance is paying for one of them. Mostly because this has gone on for so long. We've had some good conversations about this. I believe the guys at Dewey's had a lot to do with it too. They've been great thru all of this. The deal is they are buying a leftover 2011 115 to replace the bad motor. Looks like I'm buying the other matching motor and selling my good 2005. We've talked about 150's but can't find close out models or ones I can really afford. The hull is rated for 450 hp and isn't drilled for one motor. No big deal though. The 250 or 300 would be great and still contemplating that route.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    MMSI# 338232859

Rob...sorry so late chiming in, but you have got a bunch of "spot on" advice here, and where it varies are good options to consider. About getting on step, I can do that with my Honda 135's with a single running, on same boat as you. The Honda 135 is the same as the 150 until you hit 4500 rpm, then the special valving in the 150 kicks in and gives you better economy and torque at those higher rpm's...at a price I didn't want to pay. I do have 15x15 props on my engines, and I get out of the hole with a full load of gear, gas and people, in about 2-3 seconds. I did run back on step on one engine when I had a similar mishap as you, one engine completely out and the other a little rough (prop shaft slightly bent) and that was switching to an aluminum emergency prop too! When everything is normal, I get more power, better performance with lower fuel use out of my Honda 135's than the standard Yami 115's that Dewey's and others put on the Hewes AK 260. No slam against Yamaha, their 150's may do better than your 115's on fuel too, they are just underpowered IMO.

About finding new but 2011 or '12 engines at a bargain, they can be had, and I am checking for you now on that down here, and I don't think shipping would be that much, but could delete that option. Will see what I can find asap...

Rob,
    Go for the horsepower weather its in one or twins, you don't have to use it but its nice to have if you have to run fast. The difference in the payments won't be all that much(assuming your going to finance some of it) and down the road you'll be glad you did it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Rob,
    Go for the horsepower weather its in one or twins, you don't have to use it but its nice to have if you have to run fast. The difference in the payments won't be all that much(assuming your going to finance some of it) and down the road you'll be glad you did it.
    True that!!!!

I have a 24 foot offshore alumaweld and used to have twin honda 130's.
    Repowered to a single yamaha 350 with a 40 high thrust kicker
    Kicker will obviously never get me on step, but I wanted to be able to turn the bow and that's a lot easier to do than with a smaller kicker
    Fuel economy is much better with the single.
    dominic