Thread: Morels in Fairbanks area?

Default Morels in Fairbanks area?

Would anyone be willing to share an idea or two on where I might look for morels between here and Fairbanks? I know there have been a few fires in the Nenana area the past couple of years, but I'm not familiar with the area and whether any of that is road-accessible or if there are significant private property issues.

My mother is a morel fanatic but will be out of state for the next week, so will miss the prime picking time around here. I'd love to be able to bring her a bag of morels on my way back from Fairbanks next weekend, so any ideas would be much appreciated. I know that a good picking spot is just a precious as a good fishing or hunting spot, so for what it's worth, this will be a one-time thing on my end and I don't intend to pick a place clean - just to grab a small handful to put a smile on my mother's face.

I can't think of any readily accessible recent burn areas around Fairbanks. The Nenana fires are obvious directly from the highway but is poor walking/tundra type area. I'm thinking that's not the optimum for mushroom growth.

I did, however, find this website with the last couple years fires mapped out. http://afsmaps.blm.gov/imf_firehisto...te=firehistory

Map example(site has zoom capability)

Best of luck!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Thanks for the help! I know that fire areas often offer the best morel picking, but areas that haven't burned can be decent as well. I'll likely just do a bit of prospecting if I see something that looks interesting on the drive home.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Thanks for the help! I know that fire areas often offer the best morel picking, but areas that haven't burned can be decent as well. I'll likely just do a bit of prospecting if I see something that looks interesting on the drive home.
    The Hastings fire was up on Murphy Dome in 2011, and there are roads up there, although a bit northwest of Fairbanks (close to Fairbanks, but not in the direction you were asking about). I'm not at all familiar with morel hunting - what's considered "recent"?
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

I have actually picked some nice morels around my house on occasion. I always notice that they seem to grow in disturbed areas. Like places that just got clearcut. I know that doesn't help you much. The only other place I've ever found morels is on the Gulkana. I found some morels one time while floating the Gulkana River from Paxson Lake down. I found them not too far downstream from Paxson Lake. Again, probably not to helpful because it is not in the area you described, but maybe it might give you some ideas where to look. Good luck.