Thread: Propane Detector going off

Default Propane Detector going off

Our propane detector keeps going off when we run the heater.
    We replaced the regulator and that didn't fix it.

I guess we are going to try replacing the motorhome "coach" batteries tonight and also get a new propane detector.
    I really do not want to buy a new heater because they cost about $1,000, but I will if that is the problem.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks!

mine was doing the same. we had fresh batteries this year so I know it wasnt that. Long story short the circuit board on our LP detector went bad it was beeping for no reason. We got a plug in one and plugged it into a 110 outlet and when that one didnt go off I knew it was the built in detector. I got a new board for about 15 bucks and replaced it no more beeping. propane has a pretty obvious smell if you dont smell it I would try a different detector. We have 110 LP and carbon monoxide detectors in ours as well as the on board stuff. Never hurts to have backups.

Another thing to check would be the "nozzle" for the heating element. sometimes they get clogged up and will not burn cleanly and some excess propane will escape without being burnt. Replacement nozzles are cheap and you should keep some on hand they are the same style the hot water heater and refridgerator use.

Thanks BSJ-we'll give these a shot tonight.
    I definitely have NOT smelled any propane, which is really strange. I even put my head down on the floor by the propane detector and took a good smell and nothing!

On a side note, I personally don't understand the joint LP and CO detectors. Propane is heavy and sinks. CO is light and rises. While I agree it is good to have a backup, depending on where you have that detector, it could be nearly useless (I would imagine). If its on the floor-by the time it goes off for CO you will be passed out cold anyway. If it is on the ceiling, by the time it goes off for propane, your motorhome may have exploded at that point. What am I missing here?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_chiomega View Post
    Thanks BSJ-we'll give these a shot tonight.
    I definitely have NOT smelled any propane, which is really strange. I even put my head down on the floor by the propane detector and took a good smell and nothing!

On a side note, I personally don't understand the joint LP and CO detectors. Propane is heavy and sinks. CO is light and rises. While I agree it is good to have a backup, depending on where you have that detector, it could be nearly useless (I would imagine). If its on the floor-by the time it goes off for CO you will be passed out cold anyway. If it is on the ceiling, by the time it goes off for propane, your motorhome may have exploded at that point. What am I missing here?

Our detectors are seperate the LP is on the floor under the kitchen table the carbon monoxide it up by the microwave. We just bought extras of each that plug in to 110 and also run on AA batteries. You definatley want to be safer than sorry when it comes to those fumes.

Use a small squirt bottle and add some liquid dish soap, squirt it on all the gas fitting if you have a leak the soapy water will find it. Also look at the stove fitting for problems. If that does not work it could be a carbon monoxide leak. I think you can borrow a tester from the gas company.

We tried the squirt bottle trick and couldn't find anything.
    Our CO detector is on the ceiling and it is not going off. It is definitely the propane detector.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Had the same problem with our RV. Tried everything mentioned above, had the detector checked it was ok. Turned out it was wired on the same circuit as the heater. Every time the heater would come on it must have caused a voltage change of some type that set off the alarm. Changed the detector to another circuit problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
    Had the same problem with our RV. Tried everything mentioned above, had the detector checked it was ok. Turned out it was wired on the same circuit as the heater. Every time the heater would come on it must have caused a voltage change of some type that set off the alarm. Changed the detector to another circuit problem solved.
    Interesting.... or maybe low battery? If your truck is used to charge the camper battery turn on the truck and see if you still have a problem. The CO detector should be wire to the filter side of the inverter.

Our propane detector was bad. I went to Lowes and bought a battery operated/wall plug in propane/natural gas detector ($60). It does not go off. Still don't smell propane. Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm glad I saw this thread, thanks for the post ak chiomega. Can anyone recommend a specific make of battery powered Propane detector and where to find them.

I'd like to outfit our home with them as we have multiple sources of propane and it is one of my nightmare scenarios after a friends home exploded and killed their daughter a few years ago. I would never forgive my self if that happened at our place.

Any decent RV shop should have replacement circuit boards for your on board detector for $30 or less. If not in stock should be able to order one.