Thread: Anchor River

Default Anchor River

Since the moderator found it appropriate to delete my rant from another post, I'll start another one. Why in the world is ADFG allowing any fishing on the Anchor River? I don't need 4 years of college to see that something is seriously wrong with the King run. Two years ago we barely got the minimum biological escapement. Last year we didn't get it and so far this year we've had 3 fish cross the weir. I guess I can be positive and say 3 is better than 2. Well we have another weekend of fishing starting tomorrow, and every fish caught is another one that doesn't make it to the spawning grounds. I will take a non-college educated guess and say that every fish that enters this river needs to make it up to spawn. Maybe the ADFG has already condemned this river.

What can be done to get the message across that shutting down King fishing for a few years could save this fishery for our grand kids.

Sounds like a typical situation of politics over management. If the draggers left 3 fish somebody wants them in a freezer.

The only thing that the AKDFG knows (and can) manage well is the incoming funds and the politics associated with the business. I hear often that Alaska has the best managed fisheries in the world. FOOOYEEE...says I. The only thing that was the best was the natural god given resources of the area. The management part is BS. They wait until the given topic is in dire straights then put some BS restrictions on the seasons to keep the money flowing to the right pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    The only thing that the AKDFG knows (and can) manage well is the incoming funds and the politics associated with the business. I hear often that Alaska has the best managed fisheries in the world. FOOOYEEE...says I. The only thing that was the best was the natural god given resources of the area. The management part is BS. They wait until the given topic is in dire straights then put some BS restrictions on the seasons to keep the money flowing to the right pockets.
    Having lived and fished in a few other states I am FULLY covinced that ADFG does the BEST job of all of them. The management issues are purely political. Rant aside...

I agree, shut em all down, where do we sign the petition?

Quote Originally Posted by HomerAdam View Post
    Why in the world is ADFG allowing any fishing on the Anchor River? I don't need 4 years of college to see that something is seriously wrong with the King run.
    Have you called and asked them? Voice your concerns. Who's the area sport fish manager for the Anchor? That's technically lower Cook Inlet, so they'd be based out of the Homer ADFG office. The area staff are usually quite willing hear your concerns and explain the rationale. If you don't like the answers, work your way up the chain to region or hq.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

I hate to beat this dead horse, but now through June 5th we have 255 fish across the weir. Minimum BIOLOGICAL escapement for this river is 3800 as printed on the ADFG website. Just a couple numbers on how poor the run is this year...the run is 78% behind 2012, 71% behind 2011, 81% behind 2010......and still no EO as we come upon another weekend opener. I will be calling the ADFG and see if anybody is alive in that office and i request other concerned Anchor River fishermen flood this office with calls. It is beyond me why this river is still open.

It is no different in the valley. The little Su had five through the weir as of today, yes you read that right 5!! The Deshka has no weir but the catching is pitifully slow. Fish and game will wait and watch then hit the panic button once some money has been spent here. Sad really.