Thread: Rolling out in 36 hours...

Default Rolling out in 36 hours...

Yes, in 36 hours, I'll be beginning a life-long dream of spending my first good-sized chunk of time in the great state of Alaska. A good friend of mine and I leave on Saturday the first of June (a nice birthday present for me). We'll be in my truck with a pop-up camper, towing my fishing boat. The general plan is to enjoy the Alaska Highway, and the trip up to what you all call Los Anchorage. We'll get through that quickly, and then will do some sight-seeing and fishing on our way down to Homer. My friend flies back to MN on about June 9th, at which time I will be exploring alone until the beginning of August. There's no real set agenda, but I plan to hunt for a coastal black bear, and fish for trout, salmon, halibut, rockfish, ling cod, or whatever is biting. This may take place anywhere on the KP, but I feel most attracted to Homer, Cordova, Valdez, and Kodiak Island.

For anyone that's interested, I've started a blog of my trip (AKboundtim.blogspot.com), which I'll update whenever I'm in town or have service.

I'm a guy that does well alone and can get completely immersed in figuring things out by myself, but I also really enjoy people. I'm hoping to meet some locals, and learn as much as I can while I'm up there. If anyone wants to join me (share some hunting, fishing, hiking, etc.), or show me the ropes - shoot me an email or give me a call. I'll be checking in periodically.

Any and all advice appreciated.

In the meantime - lots of packing to do! Can't wait...

Quote Originally Posted by summerof2013 View Post
    Yes, in 36 hours, I'll be beginning a life-long dream of spending my first good-sized chunk of time in the great state of Alaska.
    Glad you are finally taking the bull by the horns and making it happen. Good Luck, and have a great time...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Wow this'll be one heckuva trip! Your friend will regret flying home so soon.

Don't forget... interior Alaska is nice too. You can park your boat in my yard if you want to make a run up the Steese or Dalton highway. I mean....it's not like you're short on time.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

NICE!!!! My bro has been in Homer now for a month and done well fishing off the end of the spit with Squid, herring or whatever bait they have. They have caught Pollock, Flounder and Irish lords. They also have been fishing the surf south of the mouth of the Kenai near kalifornsky picking up some Halibut, Pollock and sharks. I'd add Sweard to your list of places to visit. Its a cool little town. They recently opended up Seward Brewing co which has a great Red Ale and good food. Fishing for Rockfish and lings can be done not too far from the Harbor. For blackies I've never tried across the bay from Homer but I hear people hunt it. Personally I'd go out fo Whittier in PWS for Blackies if your boat is big enough. You will have to hit the Russian River for Reds. If your a trout guy go out of Bings Landing on the Kenai upstream and float beads for big Rainbows. So many things to do up there. Jealous....... Have fun!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by dhosera View Post
    NICE!!!! My bro has been in Homer now for a month and done well fishing off the end of the spit with Squid, herring or whatever bait they have. They have caught Pollock, Flounder and Irish lords. They also have been fishing the surf south of the mouth of the Kenai near kalifornsky picking up some Halibut, Pollock and sharks. I'd add Sweard to your list of places to visit. Its a cool little town. They recently opended up Seward Brewing co which has a great Red Ale and good food. Fishing for Rockfish and lings can be done not too far from the Harbor. For blackies I've never tried across the bay from Homer but I hear people hunt it. Personally I'd go out fo Whittier in PWS for Blackies if your boat is big enough. You will have to hit the Russian River for Reds. If your a trout guy go out of Bings Landing on the Kenai upstream and float beads for big Rainbows. So many things to do up there. Jealous....... Have fun!
    Unit 6D (most of PWS) is closed for Black Bear 10 Jun - 10 Sep.