Thread: Herring questions

Default Herring questions

Does anybody want to share a little info on herring. I would like to catch a few for bait and I have no idea what time of year, where I might catch a few and how to catch them. Help would really be appreciated.

It would help to know where you are and/or looking to catch herring. In general, look for the processing outfall in your local port. Sometimes your success around the outfall will depend on the volume of effluent being pumped out from the processors.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Or don't mess with catching herring, go down and get hooligan, way easier, just as good for bait...

Search this forum for your particular area. There are numerous threads about herring with some really good information.

I have fished herring and hooligan next to each other in the same boat for rockfish, silvers, and halibut. There is NO comparison - it does not work even remotely as well for bait in my experience.

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I have fished herring and hooligan next to each other in the same boat for rockfish, silvers, and halibut. There is NO comparison - it does not work even remotely as well for bait in my experience.
    'scuse my ingorance, but are you saying herring is better?

I've had good luck fishing with Hooligan. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for bottom fishing and still do sometimes. I normally use herring just because it is bigger and easier to use on bigger halibut hooks.
    For trolling I would think herring would be a better choice.
    In cook inlet you can use gillnets to catch herring. I had one made for me at Silvertip years ago. Only used it once and we were not there at the right time. Another time we were going to try it as we saw a lot of birds diving on the water. As we got close a whole bunch of whales came bursting up through the herring feeding on them. Needless to say we left the area alone.
    One of these days I will find some and try the net out.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I agree ... herring is much better. Herring is also better in the shrimp pot. Tried hooligan occasionally ...... and even the shrimp don't like them as well.

The commercial gill net season for Cook Inlet herring just ended two days ago. Set nets that came out of the water in the Clam Gulch area for the last pick were plugged with herring ....... point being ...... still lots of herring present on the east side from Homer to Clam Gulch. It was a record breaking year for some east side herring fishermen ..... and stayed strong right to the end of the season.

Do you all prefer fresh frozen or salted frozen herring for halibut?

Do you all prefer fresh frozen or salted frozen herring for halibut?
    Herring purchased for halibut fishing is generally frozen ..... unless bought fresh during the the herring season. No need to salt herring for halibut fishing ..... just put it on the hook. Any left over ...... put it back in the freezer.

Note: Wife may become very unhappy if you toss poorly wrapped bait herring in the freezer next to the good stuff. Soon everything will smell (and taste) like herring. My wife bought me a small bait freezer ..... now we're both happy.

pick -up or make some multi-hook fly type rigs...

there is bunches on the market, and use enough weight on the bottom of the rig to keep it straight empty... I like a 2 ounce cannon ball...

Start by going down to the dock in your port of choice, (City Dock if in Valdez) and fish them straight down... I like a little longer rod for this.

If it's salmon time- use heavier line, and a rod capable of landing a larger fish. I've hooked 15 lb silvers on a subukti rig.. By using a dedicated rod, you can catch bait, use it to catch fish with-out re-rigging tackle each time... read the regs about number of rods, but should never a problem having another rod pre-rigged READY to fish.

Also, depending on where you are at, you can use herring as live bait.. works wonders on lings and rock fish!

But again, I recommend trying a rig out in dock, prior to going out. Plus, it's relaxing if weather not too nice, or at night before going out in the morn.

Have fun,
    Also, if their big enough for you- they TASTE good too (I prefer Fried)

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cormit View Post

Note: Wife may become very unhappy if you toss poorly wrapped bait herring in the freezer next to the good stuff. Soon everything will smell (and taste) like herring. My wife bought me a small bait freezer ..... now we're both happy.
    Note this. There is nothing worse than thawing steaks out and grilling them up and having them taste like old herring. It's amazing how the smell and taste permeates everything even though it's frozen. Been there, done that.