Thread: JBER lakes

Default JBER lakes

I've been to Green lake a couple of times this week, have seen lots of rainbows, some pretty good sized ones too, but can't get them to bite... I've been going midday, so I think that is part of it, also possibly due to the spawn? I've thrown spinners and small jigs with wax worms under a bobber, no dice.

Heading to Otter lake tmrw, hopefully the pike are hungry, I'll let you know how I do.

I've had good luck on the base lakes with the pink shrimp they sell in the fridges in the BX and Shopette.

Yeah, I've had pretty good luck with those shrimp too, but only through the ice, might have to try them under a bobber.

Otter lake was totally unproductive today, fished the west shore with a big spinner and spoons, saw a couple of other guys fishing, no fish caught that I saw. It certainly is pretty out there, but am I wasting my time? Are there any pike in this lake at all???

Pretty sure Otter lake was poisoned for the removal of pike last year or 2 years ago. You might want to check to see if it has been stocked since then. On Richardson side I've had the most luck on Walden and Clunie lakes. You can check stocking information here. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...atcheries.main

That was the plan, but they never ended up going through with it. They're talking about doing it this fall.

Ive caught lots of rainbows in the 20" range on six mile. Most of them in rooster tails, but Ive taken up fly fishing and landed a beauty of a trout no 2 weeks ago. Felt great about putting it back! Ill see if I can dig up a pick off my phone after this. As far as otter lake, there is a channel that I catch my pike at. They seem to like the trout looking rapala from the BX. For green lake, Ive been catching a lot off of salmon eggs. And Clune? Ive never caught any decent sized fish from shore...

This guy didnt want to be in the pic! You can still see him at the pipe separating upper and lower six mile!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dang! What a hog, man. There are some nice fish in upper and lower. Whereabouts is this channel on otter lake??

Know the regs on the culvert on six mile.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

This is true about the regs! The Culvert closes in mid july... As for pike, theres two or three cabins just a hundred yards from the main group. Follow the path in front of those cabins around the edge and over the bridge. Start in the corner and work your way around and you'll find the channel. Ive seen quite a few in there and have caught up to 6 fish in one outing. But more often then not I get skunked... Good luck!

Thanks for the intel, kingman, I'll have to check it out!

try ate at night , also these fish you see are looking for a place to do there thing , they don't bite as well when that is going on , the newly stocked fish are willing to bite just like the lakes in the vally when they get too this stage , they will bite a lot better latter on ,

Here are some pike taken from otter lake this weekend! image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ak_russ View Post
    Here are some pike taken from otter lake this weekend! image.jpg
    Otter Lake, here I come!
    Thanks AK_RUSS !
    I love pike for eating!

Otter lake , the cabins before the campsites. There are like three cabins by them selves, walk across the little bridge, fish from shore and fish that whole area to where it bends to the right. Right off the bottom or using herring under a bobber, meps or ne thing and ull get a few

Yep haha Thats where Ive caught all mine. Good catch! Ive caught as many as 5 or 6 once or twice there, but usually end up with one or two. Fish on!