Thread: Moose Hunt 2013 plane drop off with river float

Default Moose Hunt 2013 plane drop off with river float

I have hunted in Alaska all my life but I have never been on a moose hunt. I am looking for a 5-7 day river float/ moose hunt. I was thinking about floating down moose creek/ Kroto Creek and end up the mouth of the Deshka river but I am afraid that i will not be the only one doing that. I was looking for any suggestions on a good river to get dropped off and picked up for a chance of getting a moose. I am a non-resident now, because of going to college out of state, so it has to be in a unit where I am allowed to hunt.

You would certainly not be the only one doing that float, and that region of the state isn't known for having super high densities of moose at the present time.

I'm not knowledgable enough about float hunting to give you a solid recommendation, but the owner of this site, Michael Strahan, is. He offers a hunt consultation business, but even if you want to put this hunt together on your own, it wouldn't hurt to give him a call just to bounce around options. The guy breathes float hunting and would be the first resource I would utilize.

http://www.alaskahuntplanning.com/Lo...pany/Home.html

(Full disclosure - yes, Mike owns this website and is my boss here, but I have no connection to his hunt planning services and zero financial incentive to refer people to him. I just know Mike and know him to be a great resource. )

I'll 2nd what Brian says, Mike's a great guy, honest, genuine, very down to earth about the advice he gives. I'm doing my 1st moose/float this Sept and after reading his book (3 times) and having a phone conversation with him, I almost feel like I've done it before!

If you are planning to hunt this year I would not wait very long. Many of these hunts are booked months in advance.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Heath GerondAle View Post
    I was thinking about floating down moose creek/ Kroto Creek and end up the mouth of the Deshka river but I am afraid that i will not be the only one doing that. I am a non-resident now, because of going to college out of state, so it has to be in a unit where I am allowed to hunt.
    I think the Moose/Kroto Creek idea is a good one. Especially if you are new to float hunting. I would float Moose Creek and not Kroto Creek if you are in a raft because it is wider than Kroto Creek. If you have a Pro Pioneer or some type of Packraft that can haul a lot of weight, Kroto might be a better option because it is less crowded. A canoe might work too, but I am not sure if you can get a whole moose in a canoe. As others have said, you might find some company, but you will find company on most other rivers too. The nice thing is you can't find a better price, and this river is relatively safe for a first time float hunter. You might have some sweepers and logjams to deal with, but otherwise it is non-technical. There are moose in there. I know guys that have hunted it. Some successfully and others nonsuccessfully. But all of them saw moose. If you are smart and you hunt it right you should be fine. I would find the first available location with lots of sign and try your best to minimize your footprint. Do some calling and still hunting. There is very little topography for glassing on this river and this will be your biggest obstacle for hunting in my opinion. But, if you are patient, and with a little bit of luck and some help from above, maybe you'll pull it off. Don't be in a hurry to get down river. One of the biggest lessons I have learned from my past float hunts is when you find sign, don't pass it up for something better downriver. Often times, the best hunting locations are in the first several miles at the beginning of your float. Those are the areas every body else passes up. And, once you pass it up, you can never go back (something I learned the hard way more times than I care to admit). Oh, and what did you mean by you are a non-resident so you have to hunt in a unit where you are allowed to hunt? I didn't understand that part of your post. What does being a non-resident have to do with what unit you can hunt in?

I appreciate all the help! This is the first post I have done and I like the way people respond. Thanks for all the great insight.

Heath,
    The upper part (above Neil lake) is grizz country. The lower half has lots of cabins on it and moose densities are very low.
    The banks are high and grassy/brushy, you would not be able to see over the banks in a canoe.
    You will see lots of airboat traffic from Neill lake area down to the mouth and it will increase from mile 17 down as many are using their cabins till freeze up.
    I'm not trying to discourage you, but there are much better rivers to float peacefully and much higher densities of moose. This is not a float I would recommend for shooting a moose.....grizz yes, moose no. Little Su would be a better choice in my opinion, heck the Big Su would be better with lots of sloughs and braids that would be worth looking in to.
    BK

If your are looking at 2013 I would say it is a bit late. As you look at success rated for both the draw and % success take a look at unit 23. We do hunts in 5 sub units some which have 100% success for the draw and 1 which had 92% success for 50+ inch moose in 2011. No data on 2012 yet.

Most successful moose hunts are 7-10 days if you are doing a fly in but you can compress it down if needed.

Look us up!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country
    www.northwestalaska.net
    Attached Images Attached Images