Thread: New to power boating

Default New to power boating

Alright, purchased a new to me 18' Hewescraft King Runner. Nothing fancy, but wanted a beginner type boat that wouldn't break the bank, but still get out and enjoy the summer with the family. Is there anywhere in the valley that is readily available to get out and play around a bit while I learn about the boat? Looking to stay away from a ton of folks while I am learning. Right now, I have a 35HP prop on it, so again nothing too crazy. Thanks for thoughts and suggestions.

Nancy Lake if it's open. Might be busy but is large enough you can get away and enjoy yourself.
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Finger lake may be a good fit too. Its a smaller lake but still plenty of room to play and it usually pretty low key. I saw the most people I have ever seen there 2 weeks ago and it was 2 other boats and about 5 people fishing the dock. Thats usually where I take my boat for the first season outing and test run.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Awesome. Thanks for the thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by jgall15 View Post
    Awesome. Thanks for the thoughts.
    Lake Lucille can be had all to yourself about now. After everyone dunks their boat for the first time for the year no one goes back.

Little shallow on the opposite end from the boat ramp but nothing to worry about. Just an FYI.

Just a common sense note to stay away from the rivers until your comfortable with the operation of the boat on many of the many lakes people have already mentioned. The rivers are more fun but a lot more dangerous. Make sure the boat runs good first and you have appropriate safety gear before even thinking about launching at a river.

Read old posts on this forum for good ideas for what gear you need before river boating.

Sorry I don't mean to be preachy but I wasn't nearly prepared enough for some of my first river trips even after spending a lot of time on the lakes. I have been lucky enough to have had all my early trips be successful but looking back now I was really unprepared for things that could have happened.

Congrats on your new boat!!!!

Deal

Quote Originally Posted by Deak View Post
    Just a common sense note to stay away from the rivers until your comfortable with the operation of the boat on many of the many lakes people have already mentioned. The rivers are more fun but a lot more dangerous. Make sure the boat runs good first and you have appropriate safety gear before even thinking about launching at a river.

Read old posts on this forum for good ideas for what gear you need before river boating.

Sorry I don't mean to be preachy but I wasn't nearly prepared enough for some of my first river trips even after spending a lot of time on the lakes. I have been lucky enough to have had all my early trips be successful but looking back now I was really unprepared for things that could have happened.

Congrats on your new boat!!!!

Deal
    While I agree with you to some degree I missed out on an entire year of river fishing out of fear of operating my boat. I had to suck it up, prepare myself for going out, and just do it. I learned a tremendous amount on the water and Im now much more comfortable just from having taken the chance. Just be smart about what you're doing and not afraid to learn. Have what you need in case of an emergency and get out there and do it!
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.